Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

HID Problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID Problem

Hi all,

I have just installed a set of XenonDepot Xtreme HID 6500k just about 3 months ago.

Just last week, I found out one of my bulbs is no longer working. I looked at the bulb from the outside (without taking the bulb out cuz its really packed in there), and I don't see any burnt marks like the ordinary halogen bulbs.

I've also checked the fuses in the hood for the head lights (high & low beam and DRL), but didn't find anything.

My question is:
1) Does anyone know how does a burnt/blew HID bulb look like?
2) If my bulb didn't blow, where can I look & test out the problem.
3) How is the durability of the bulbs from XenonDepot Xtreme HID Kit?

Please give me some suggestions, as I don't know what to do anymore.

Cheers,
Don
-- currently lost and hopeless
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I would check all your connections... and make sure they are tight and grouned.. and also making contact with power... also are your ballast making any noise?? then if so they are getting power. and mostly it is the bulbs....
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by whitersevo
I would check all your connections... and make sure they are tight and grouned.. and also making contact with power... also are your ballast making any noise?? then if so they are getting power. and mostly it is the bulbs....
I didn't do the installation myself. I had it installed by a technican and there is a wiring harness attached to the kit.

So what are the procedures and how do I check the line?
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Swap the bulbs side to side. This will tell you if its the bulb or not.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Swap your working bulb and burnt bulb to make sure that it's the bulb that's busted. Otherwise it's your ballast.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Swap your working bulb and burnt bulb to make sure that it's the bulb that's busted. Otherwise it's your ballast.
I have just swapped the bulbs today... and found out that the bulbs have no problems.

So how else can I test the parts? I don't now how the technican wired the HID system.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Since you don't know how it's installed and you seem like you're looking to self-diagnose, you're pretty much at a dead end now. Regardless, it seems most likely that your ballast is dead, which is common with a lot of these aftermarket HID Kits since their failure rate is pretty high and many fail within a year. XenonDepot is known as one of the better HID Kit distributors because they try to use OEM Philips components in their (regular) kits. Unfortunately, you went the cheap route with their Xtreme Kit, which likely uses a components produced in 3rd party factories in Asia that have poor quality control. Sorry bud, but unless you luck out and happen to find a loose wire, you're SOL since ballasts are the priciest part of a HID setup.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

By the way, I wouldn't be too confident with their regular kits either. They rebase the original Philips D2S bulbs, which throws Philips' quality control out the window. They also use Philips Gen4 slimline ballasts, which are known to have a much higher failure rate compared to their Gen3 ballasts. For the price of XenonDepot's regular kits, you might as well get a full setup from hidplanet.com that offers D2S bulbs, Gen3 ballasts, and projectors for about $400, but that involves retrofitting, which scares a lot of people who are lazy or don't feel confident in their DIY know-how.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the XenonDepot 8000k Extreme kit about 10 months ago and installed it myself. It wasn't that difficult to do, however, i had to cut the headlight harness and do a direct wire-to-wire connection to make the system work. I made sure to properly cover the connections to prevent and kind of water damage and/or heat fatigue. The way these systems work is that you have the connection to the battery (red casing) the ground connector (black) and everything else is pretty much plug and play. Since you've already alternated bulbs and determined that the bulbs are not the problem, look at your connection to make sure that it is properly mated. IMO, you really don't need a technician to figure this all out - good luck and keep us posted.

PS - how did the technician connect the headlight harness from the HID kit to the stock headlight harness? My connections didn't match, so chances are that your's might not have either, but if it worked for a period, then there might be a deeper issue (ballast).