Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lancer engine is junk!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lancer engine is junk!

Whenever I'm just cruzing like in 1st or 2nd gear real slow, my engine makes this loud clackity-clack noise. It sounds like it is coming from the vavle train. Happens most at about 1800 rpm. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't decide if it "was normal or not" & said it might be a bad lifter, but they would not replace it since the engine runs fine.

my questions:
1) how can the engine run fine with a bad lifter?
2) should I just live with it & understand Mitsu engines are loud like a Hyundai Excel engine with 120k miles on it??!!
Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

is it that constant "click click click" noise?

if it is, it's caused by dirty valves or valves that have air on them instead of oil..there was a thread about it somewhere..ill try to find it.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

the dealship is giving you the run-a-round...if it keeps up go again.if they say the same then have their manager(the top dogs hate to be bugged)drive in your car then go for a drive in a car off the lot...show them the diffrence and say...if this is normal then make every other lancer on the showroom sound this way.
don't stay with the service guy...go to the higher-ups and make them work for the money they earn.but be tactfull...don't go in there *****ing and moaning...go with facts and make sure they hear what you hear...you got a warrenty for something...right?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

yea, i read our posts from like January or something, if it's that bad try to make the dealer do the repair, isnt that what the warranty is for?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:47 PM

air on the valves? i've never heard of that. how would that happen?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

The engine is not junk. I think it's one of the smoother and quieter 4's out there, mine is usually sewing machine smooth once warmed up. IMHO better than a Hyundai 4 cyl motor. There were a few other threads talking about lifter noise before. If you get air trapped inside any of them, they'll make a clicking or tapping type noise, but it should be noticable at all rpm's. Is oil level ok? Oil filter and /or oil changed recently?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:05 PM

Can you ever get this air out of the valves? How does it get there in the first place?

Were Mitsu engineers drinking too much when they were designing these engines?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

PUT MORE OIL IN!!!!!!!!!!
about a quart
if the tapping stopps itas not a bad lifter car just does it whne it runs low on ail
i had the same problem with my car
and i took it to the dealer and they replaced all the lifters
and then a month or so l8er it started trapping again
i added oil and it goes away
its my "low oil warning buzzer"
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

it was on a thread but i cant seem to find it..and i cant remember exactly what they said but it said something about cleaning the something (dont quote me on that) or replacing that piece..sorry for the vague story lol

EDIT: oh yea, to try to get oil into that part, it said to rev from idle to 3000 rpm. the revving must take 30 seconds to get to 3000rpm so it is a very slow rev..then rev back down from 3000 rpm to idle (again, in 30 seconds) and repeat 10 times.

Last edited by bobaab; Jun 8, 2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:20 PM

they replaced all the lifters??!! Wow. good for you! But it started again a month later? hmmm. my oil level is good & I always use mitsubishi filters.

did you say you car whines? you senterce was a little unclear.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by bobaab
it was on a thread but i cant seem to find it..and i cant remember exactly what they said but it said something about cleaning the something (dont quote me on that) or replacing that piece..sorry for the vague story lol

EDIT: oh yea, to try to get oil into that part, it said to rev from idle to 3000 rpm. the revving must take 30 seconds to get to 3000rpm so it is a very slow rev..then rev back down from 3000 rpm to idle (again, in 30 seconds) and repeat 10 times.
thanks sooo much for the advice on getting oil back in! I'll give it a shot! I REALLY hope it works 'cuz this noise has got me going nutz!
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:28 PM

Also:
I have already tried using a thicker weight oil, 10w-30 and 10w-40 and 5w-50 with no help.

Tried using higher octane fuel, no help.

Put in Prolong, no help.

Drove the **** out of it like I stole it, no help.

I use Castrol GTX 5w-30. I wonder if a different brand might help..........
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Try the purge procedure that bobaab included. If that doesn't clear it, you may have a bad lifter / tappet. I use 5W-30 castrol in mine and don't have any tapping noise, so your choice of oil seems fine. Frequent changes depending on how hard you drive.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its most probably normal. mitsu motors are notorious for loud valve noises. my valves are pretty loud.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 05:05 PM

Well, let me tell you my problems and see if it in any way relates. I do sometimes here a very, VERY low clicking noise when I start my car up, and when I am at a stop sign...probably does it the entire time but the muffler drowns out the sound. Also, my tranny or something is kinda jerking around when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd (Automatic). I think it is worn out or something, but I don't see any real reason for it...I mean yea, I get on the car a lot...but not enough to make it bad after only having it for 5 months. I am wanting to get a turbo, so I really need to have everything in 110% condition because I'm gonna void my warrenty soon enough. Should I go down there and pester them or what?

Quick Reply: Lancer engine is junk!