Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Malfunction...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor Malfunction...

Okay, so I have my very first problem with the car one thousand miles after the extended warranty ended. The wife described these symptoms to me over the phone during the two minutes she couldn't get the car started. And this has happened twice now!

So my wife jumps into the car after it'd be sitting for <30 minutes. It's in Park, foot on brake, turns key and nothing. Okay, so she tries the accessories in the Acc setting on the ignition. Everything electronic works! Windows, radio, radar detector... Okay, so it's not the battery. She tries to start it again, and still nothing...and I mean not even cranking over.

Another minute on the phone winning to me about how the car won't start, she attempts it again and it starts as normal. It runs normal, doesn't drive rough and idles fine. It does throw a CEL though; it's a code P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Malfunction.

* Here are the listed code for the CPS :
-P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
-P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
-P0337 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input
-P0338 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input
-P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent

Is the CEL telling me that the sensor just had a "hiccup"? or is it "done" for good? Reason I ask cuz we just went out to eat, started it twice after sitting for 30+ minutes without a problem. AND NO CEL!

***Here's the question - should I go ahead and get a new one, or are these just freak occurrences? AND, what is the Mitsu part # for the CPS?

Thanks!

Last edited by SLVROZ_03; Apr 27, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

mod info?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

RMR SRI, Custom grounding kit, voltage regulator, and a Greddy Evo II muffler. Really no reason why this would have happened; just outta the blue kinda thing!

I'm putting in some new NGK plugs, so I'll start there.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
i know my problem was with an evo, but i had a simliar problem where the engine fuse kept blowing because of a ground.

check your fuses
Old Apr 28, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I've got the car tonight... So once I get a few minutes to go over the car, I'll put in new plugs put in, check the wiring to the sensor, check the fuses, check the relays.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:54 AM
EdT
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
Okay, so I have my very first problem with the car one thousand miles after the extended warranty ended. The wife described these symptoms to me over the phone during the two minutes she couldn't get the car started. And this has happened twice now!

So my wife jumps into the car after it'd be sitting for <30 minutes. It's in Park, foot on brake, turns key and nothing. Okay, so she tries the accessories in the Acc setting on the ignition. Everything electronic works! Windows, radio, radar detector... Okay, so it's not the battery. She tries to start it again, and still nothing...and I mean not even cranking over.

Another minute on the phone winning to me about how the car won't start, she attempts it again and it starts as normal. It runs normal, doesn't drive rough and idles fine. It does throw a CEL though; it's a code P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Malfunction.

* Here are the listed code for the CPS :
-P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
-P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
-P0337 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input
-P0338 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input
-P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent

Is the CEL telling me that the sensor just had a "hiccup"? or is it "done" for good? Reason I ask cuz we just went out to eat, started it twice after sitting for 30+ minutes without a problem. AND NO CEL!

***Here's the question - should I go ahead and get a new one, or are these just freak occurrences? AND, what is the Mitsu part # for the CPS?

Thanks!

Hey, did you ever get it fixed ?

I think I might have the same problem.

The P/N is MR560132
http://www.autopart.com/partsout/200...ANCER/7196.htm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Well, only the first two times when the car wouldn't start did it throw this code...just the first two. But it has done it 5 or 6 times total now...not start randomly that is. But it hasn't done it for a month now, so who knows. Heck, now that I think of it...the only think I've done this the last time it wouldn't star is change the alternator and P/S & A/C belts. That's it... Have you replaced any belts yet? I forgot what mileage you're at.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Hey my crankshaft position sensor went bad also, and I got a new one but I cant figure out where the darn thing goes. Anyone got instructions on how to replace or got a diagram or something?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

^You basically have to get the lower T-belt cover off...so if I remember right, you have to remove the crank pulley.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
^You basically have to get the lower T-belt cover off...so if I remember right, you have to remove the crank pulley.
Hey, thanks for the info! Sorry if I thread jacked.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

^Hey no man! It's the same item we were talking about, definitely still on-topic...hope the replacement goes well.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, do you have to pull off the motor mount or something to get to it? A diagram or instructions would be greatly appreciated if anyone can point me in the right direction, thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2007, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

You won't have to pull off the mount...basically you'll be pull'n off the same stuff like for a T-belt change. The biggest issue is just getting the crank pulley bolt off! If you need directions, sorry I don't have any. Just take off your front right wheel and look under there at what you'll need to do in order to take it all off.

I'm just getting a can of brake clean today to hopefully get behind the plastic covering and spray off that sensor.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

yeah me and my buddy just put on my new rrm pulley and that bolt was on there tight... might as well change the water pump and the t-belt while i'm at it then.