Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Idle Reving Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2007 | 08:27 PM

Idle Reving Question

I got a cvt and when I start in the morning to warm up it will idle at 1500 - 2000 for about 3 - 5 minutes or so before idling down. I usually let it go till it drops below 1000. I don't know a lot about engines but it seems this is a high idle range. I also get tired of waiting for it when I'm trying to dip out.

So I was just wondering if this is normal for this car and if other people's cars do the same thing. Wanted to get a second opinion before I took it in.
Old Jul 31, 2007 | 08:58 PM

Pretty normal for me....3-5 min is a little exaggerated. Maybe 1-2 for me.
Old Jul 31, 2007 | 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlueLynx
Pretty normal for me....3-5 min is a little exaggerated. Maybe 1-2 for me.
Yeah, I get impatient after work and I'm trying to leave so it seems like 3-5.
Thanks though
Old Aug 1, 2007 | 02:36 PM

You know its funny no one told me to do this but I do it . I started out waiting for my Temp gauge to go up 1 notch before driving out . now I wait until it gets to 1000 RPM before moving but its so annoying. Where does it state we must do this. 2-3 minutes for me....
Old Aug 1, 2007 | 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Dizzle
You know its funny no one told me to do this but I do it . I started out waiting for my Temp gauge to go up 1 notch before driving out . now I wait until it gets to 1000 RPM before moving but its so annoying. Where does it state we must do this. 2-3 minutes for me....

Other cars I would let warm up just to get the oil circulating and would watch the pressure gauge. But with this car even at 1000 or a little under when I put it in gear it drops kinda sharp to under 500. I'm guessing it's good to do for the tranny amongst other things. Can't hurt.
Old Aug 1, 2007 | 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

I think it has something to do with the ECU learning process
Old Aug 1, 2007 | 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Dizzle
it says in the owners manual to wait until the first notch on the temp gauge appears before driving.

2 main causes of engine wear, poor maintance and driving the car too hard when its cold.
Old Aug 2, 2007 | 12:10 AM

honestly with these cars there really isnt much of a problem with just letting it idle for a couple of seconds then and then driving just dont take off like a bat out of hell...drive more like a sunday driver till it warms up
Old Aug 2, 2007 | 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
it says in the owners manual to wait until the first notch on the temp gauge appears before driving.
Unbelievable- I thought ALL new generation cars at this point do not require you to wait but rather support you drive right away but not push the motor until it warms up (with the exception of extremely cold weather)

I think if the mitsu manual does indicative to wait then this is definitely a step backwards

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Aug 2, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2007 | 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Adonis
Originally Posted by the_cosworth
Unbelievable- I thought ALL new generation cars at this point do not require you to wait but rather support you drive right away but not push the motor until it warms up (with the exception of extremely cold weather)

I think if the mitsu manual does indicative to wait then this is definitely a step backwards
Idle is high at cold start to get the cat heated up (im sure there are other reasons) and functioning properly, every car Ive owned has done this

as far as waiting, this should be a standard procedure on any motor made of metal. These motors are made up of different metals and each metal reacts and expands to heat differently. They need to heat up to reach proper clearances to minimize friction etc. You also want oil pressure to build and lubricate all the parts properly. Since this engine also burns fuel, its got to achieve a certain operating temp. once all these things are in place you can rest easy knowing youve done what you could to keep it running 100%

keep in mind you dont HAVE to wait, its up to you. its also not recommendedto rev to redline, but we all do it anyway and thats one of the hardest things on a motor. Just keep your oil fresh, thats most important

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Aug 2, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2007 | 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Adonis

dont kill the messenger, I dont work for
Old Aug 5, 2007 | 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

I live in florida and my car is ALSO heated up :Lol: But it still has various idles.

I have to say though, i CANNOT stand when it idles below 1k. If i put my car in reverse i swear it isnt on because its the slowest roll i have ever experienced. I actually enjoy when the car idles above 1k because its alot quicker imo, or atleast feels that way because it rolls alot easier without gas...

but apparently below 1k = good and above 1k = bad?
Old Aug 5, 2007 | 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

a manual can only give you a general idea of what you should do. other factors affect the warm up stages.

Here in the middle of summer 1 minute will be good enough, to ensure lubrication in all vital organs are in place. which is the key.

Winter time is a different story. a wait of 3 to 5 minutes is justified. Think twice between you hope in your car, think your cold and want to warm the car up faster. popping it in drive after 10 or 30 seconds in -20'c weather is the worst form of damage you can do to your engine.

After a auto expo in the states about 5 years ago i got to see first hand what oil looks like in a perfect perspective in engine look at what oil does when its below zero cold during the initial start up stages. To see how long your pistons remain covered vs. coated by oil. in cold vs. hot senarios.

After seeing that demonstration I always allow 30 seconds in hot senarios and 3 - 5 minutes on cold morning startups. if the car has been off for an hour or so in the dead of winter, 2 to 3 minutes is fine.

My two cents, but remember it never hurts to wait.