Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Intake squeek, belt noises, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake squeek, belt noises, etc.

About 2 years ago, in my uneducated days, i made a custom intake. i had purchased, yeah.....ebay, a 5in diameter airfilter with an adapter to the maf. i also purchased a heat shield, which i made to screw into an adapter plate, also DIY, into the existing bolts area for the old box. as in vertical bolts. its all been good for the past years, but i am expeiriencing squeeking in the metal of the heat shield. and i cannot fix it. i have tried to bend and mold it into another less noisy shape. but alas, im still getting squeeks. and then a couple days ago, i am getting a new squeek, like a belt squeek. its doing it no matter if the ac is on or off. and power steering fluid is full. im unaware if these problems are connected, i imagine not. but id like to address them both soon. i found my old air box, but the plastic holding the 4 horizontal bolts from the maf have been broken. and the box and screws will not work. if anyone can help me out with the new squeeking noise, speculations and/or past exp of this car, and also think of a chap way to fix my air box issue. such as, should i fix the current one? go back to oem? id love to go back to stock, but idk if my dealer will have parts for a 2002. and im supa broke. any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

The airbox for the ES, LS and OZ Lancer remained unchanged from 02-06(Ralliarts have a different box/airscoop), so your dealer will have everything for it. For the squeaky metal, did you try getting rubber/neoprene washers? If metal isn't rubbing metal, it shouldn't be squeaking from the heat shield. Also, is there any way we could get a picture of this setup? Might help people get an idea of what's wrong.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

there are pics here somewhere. from back in the day when i did it. i think i titled it 5' air intake. ill search it and send you the link. ahh, i thought the air boxes changed from 02-04 although i knew they still have the same engine. i think i found out where the squeek was. yeah i tried rubber washers. the metal is attached top the air filter via 3 metal prongs. these prongs are seam welded onto the sheild. and i think that is what is making the noise. i have decided to just get a new stock airbox.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the belt noises, make sure the belts are tight. Having full PS fluid doesn't help if the belt is loose...
Old Oct 22, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

ahh. im dumb. i thought the squeeking could have been the pump itself. i forgot the belts. ill probaly just replace them then. cool. thanks for the help guys. and nice new gts blacksheepdj. read the review. i test drove both the manual and cvt. i didnt like the cvt very much, but the manual felt great. and the interior was fantastic! (off topic)
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the belt that usally makes alot of noise is the alt belt ...........might wanna change it out b4 it goes out!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=138536
BTW theres his intake setup
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

wow. ive been looking for that. thanks ridah. yeah, im gonna check all my belts tomorrow when i get out of class. drove it today, and noticed that under heavier rpms and higher speeds, the noise gets quiter or ceases all together. is this leaning towards more of a alt belt or psp belt?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am also getting a belt sqeak when i'm cruising anywhere from 2000 RPM to about 4000 RPM. I know I should check the belts but what should I be looking for? How much play is supposed to be in them?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

When I replaced my belts, the alternator one was in worse shape...so I'd start there. But each are but $12/15, so do them both.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Hm ok. Thats where the squeak seems to be coming from. I also checked my timing belt and noticed it was right on the edge of the pulley. Is it supposed to be like that? Its on the edge farthest away from the engine.