Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Hit a Crub, fixed (some of it) and aligned. Still need help...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit a Crub, fixed (some of it) and aligned. Still need help...

OK, I have been reading up on everyones curb hits. Cant quite find my exact fix or problem. So here it goes. I was driving home late at night, decided to get a little slide before i got home. it was a right turn. Got side ways, but a little to much. slid around the turn but went over board and was coming back around and hit the curb at around 30-35 ish. at about a 45 deg. angle to the curb strait on. So pass tire hit first then driver. pass tire tacoed and held air wile the drvr wheels tacoed and went flat. came to a stop after hopeing over curb. got it home and changed tire. I took it to a mechanic that pre ordered the parts from these things happing to him before. Things didnt look bent and he said he couldnt really tell as well. So i went safe and ordered a control arm and a knuckle and that fixed teh wheel being pushed back about 1/2 inch on teh pass side. so the car looked good. it was still pulling a littel to the right so i went in to get it aligned. (now the car is lowered by the way with springs). well after the alignment the wheel when i drive striat looks like i am steering to the left jsut a tiny bit and it pulls to the right just a tiny bit. so alignment is good and new control arm and knuckle... now it pulls to teh right a little (still) and wheel is a tad to the left.. Now i have no idea what the problem could be, there are no noises or grinding. My transmision still shifts fine. my guess could be eaither steering rod? possibly? frame? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear it, but I've done similar. In my Civic I had just received my used Diamond racing rims and used BFG racing slicks. I was testing them out going around a "turn-about" with my G-tach meter and measuring .98Gs right before I hit the circle's curb (damn slick bricks!). Lucky for me I hit it head on, but the fronts were still turned to the right. The driver's side front rim got a 4 inch notch cut into the lip and the tire (wow) with 3/4+ ply sidewall didn't even pucture. But there's a good chuck of sidewall missing...

Lucky me that the rim & tire are still in useable condition; Ieven used them recently @ a SCCA event w/o any inspection complaints!

Good luck with the repair!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's typically the control arm that gets messed up in these situations. Since you replaced that, and the knuckle, I'm guessing you have a toe issue. It could just be out of adjustment, or there could be damage to the inner or outer tie rods.

I would take it back to the shop that aligned it, and have them do it again. If the mechanic doesn't properly center the steering wheel before setting the toe, you will have problems like what you described.