Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

rattling from dash

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattling from dash

I have quite an annoying rattle coming from my dash area. Have not been able to pinpoint it, car has 700 miles. Any1 having the same issue?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

ur in the regular lancer forums.. u should ask in the evo x..
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

the interior is exactly the same...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:28 PM

yeah buffalup, I have 15,000 miles on my GTS and I have been getting this rattle recently. I have definitely noticed it moreso in the winter though.

However, it sometimes occurs when going over bumps, or if the car is just going, if I put the rpms up a bit, there is a really bad rattle coming from the center of my dash. ANd I know its coming from there because when I hold down the center piece at the top of the dash, the rattling stops.
I'm going to bring it to the dealer and see if they could possibly tighten some screws or something.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:34 PM

I've got close to 3000 miles on my DE but no rattles. Try your best to find out exactly what is causing this and fix it. There was a lot of dash rattling in my impreza. The problem was the plastic clips, fixed it with some putty.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 02:40 PM

rattling noise

I got the same rattling noise in the dashboard(ES model). I've been able to pinpoint the problem. The round silver "rings" that go around the speedometer and rpm indicator rattle - in my car at around 2500rpm, and only when its cold.(and 5000 but I don't go there often... ). When you got the rattling sound try keeping those rings pushed against the dashboard and see if the rattling disappears. Hope this helps.

And just as a side note...I went to the dealership, I said "rattle,bumper to bumper,fix it" ... they said "go buy some glue, its not covered by the warranty". Oh well...they just lose me as a customer for the periodic inspections. Thats an easy fix after all...
Old Feb 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9ball
I got the same rattling noise in the dashboard(ES model). I've been able to pinpoint the problem. The round silver "rings" that go around the speedometer and rpm indicator rattle - in my car at around 2500rpm, and only when its cold.(and 5000 but I don't go there often... ). When you got the rattling sound try keeping those rings pushed against the dashboard and see if the rattling disappears. Hope this helps.

I will have to try that. Thanks

I get a very annoying rattle in the dash, and have been un-able to find it so far. I will push on random pieces to see if the sound goes away, with no luck! I will have to try to hold the silver rings.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

I've got a rattle/vibration I can't really pinpoint too. I've never really thought it was the gauge casings, seems more central than that. Sometimes I think it's the change in the ashtray, but other times it seems like it's from somewhere else. I also got one that I pegged to B-pillar between the doors kinda between the seatbelt that really gets on my nerves because it's more frequent than the other one. I figure eventually I have to put some foam in there or something to deaden it, but I really don't know how I'd go about that. Anyone know how to get in there or have any ideas on fixing that for when the weather gets nicer?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:20 PM

Try and see if it is the housing around the air conditioning controls. I know that is a problem for me. Also I have rattles in my steering wheel housing like the plastic around the steering wheel. Check and see if that's it.

lol don't listen to krnkimchi702.... he is bitter he can't afford one... I know I am too! lol congrat by the way!

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Feb 29, 2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Merged
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:55 AM

yea i have the rattling at about 2500 rpms... i pushed the stereo back and the sound stopped.. but my problem might be because i have a aftermarket kit so something might be loose, this is in cold weather too
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbenite1
yea i have the rattling at about 2500 rpms... i pushed the stereo back and the sound stopped.. but my problem might be because i have a aftermarket kit so something might be loose, this is in cold weather too
I'd be a screw wasn't tight enough. Might want to go back in there and tighten everything down again.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 03:48 PM

Anyone have any resolution on the dash rattling issue? Mine rattles horribly the second I hit any minor crack in the road. Hard to describe, sounds almost like glass or aluminum rattling against something. Definitely sounds like the instrument gauges or inside the a/c vents. No clue how to even pull the dash apart, my old Scion tC came apart with ease, almost like LEGOs.

Oh -- and this all started happening maybe 1000 miles ago or thereabouts. Up to 22500 now.

Last edited by cymdiggity; Apr 14, 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added mileage
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cymdiggity
Anyone have any resolution on the dash rattling issue? Mine rattles horribly the second I hit any minor crack in the road. Hard to describe, sounds almost like glass or aluminum rattling against something. Definitely sounds like the instrument gauges or inside the a/c vents. No clue how to even pull the dash apart, my old Scion tC came apart with ease, almost like LEGOs.

Oh -- and this all started happening maybe 1000 miles ago or thereabouts. Up to 22500 now.
You might need to grab a screwdriver and remove your center panel and then tighten everything again. Seems like the only way to do it.
If anyone needs any diagrams pm me, but they're not neccessary though.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure if this is the same or not...
Iv been having this rattling/vibration coming from my dash. Commin home tonight i clicked off the air and the sound went away. I tried clickin back on the air to see if the sound came back, and it came back a little but not as loud. After that no matter what i did i couldn't tell, it could just be in my head to cuz im so used to that noise there.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my car had rattaling noises they came from the radio oem rockford so i pulled it out and noticed that the white oem clips where not tight enough so what i did is i pulled them off and where they clip i installed doubled side tape from 3m then i put the white clips on top of the 3mm and i reinstalled everything and the noises and rattalings went away.

Quick Reply: rattling from dash