Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Car Won't Even Crank!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Won't Even Crank!!!

I hope someone here can provide an insight for me regarding my problem. This is the SECOND time it's happened to me. During really cold days, I can start my car fine and sometimes it won't even crank at all. I've had all the relays replaced (brought it to the dealership TWICE regarding that issue) already and that didn't seem to fix the problem, not sure what I should bug the service dept. about next.

It was fine getting out of the parking lot here at work. Started no problem when it was already -30 celsius here. Went shopping for about 10 minutes and now it's stuck at the mall cuz it won't even crank. I turn the key and hear a click, all electronics seems to function fine, so I don't think it's the battery. I'd like to take this to the dealership but the last time this happened they just put it in their garage for two days to keep it warm and of course, it had no problems starting.

I don't think this is a relay issue anymore (hence why I started a new topic). Even with the relay problem people here are still able to crank their cars when starting. Could it be that I have a faulty starter that doesn't work quite well in extreme cold weather (like around -30 celsius)?

Any input and ideas that I can tell the service dept. are appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

that actually sounds exactly like the 'no start' issue I've read... are you positive they changed the relays already?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:56 AM

I have gotten the new relays. I've taken it to the service twice already because at first I was getting the erratic RPM's going up and down when idling (plus the Service Engine Soon light was on) during extreme cold winter days here. First time they just cleaned it. Second time it happened, they finally did replace it (at least that's what they told me). I haven't got the erratic RPM problem since then (and it's been brutally cold here the past couple days), so I'm taking that as a sign that they did replace the relays. I would like to verify this myself though when the weather gets warmer, plus I'm not sure where to start looking for these relays.

Also, after leaving the car in the parking lot tonight for about 3 hours, it managed to start up again in one try. And after reading a few posts, my impression with the no-start issue is that at least you're still able to crank the car when starting. Mine was just completely silent after that one click when I turned the key. If anyone can verify that a no-crank is also part of the relay problem, please let me know so I can head down to the service dept. again and give them hell.

Last edited by gill2k; Feb 20, 2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

I take it you've looked at the TSB's that have been posted on the Mitsu forums?

http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/ind...18#entry132218

the "official" description sound identical to what you described in your original post.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:43 AM

I just called to book an appointment to have service check it out. The guy at the service dept. says it's a completely different problem than the relay TSB. They've already had quite a few incident reports on this same issue from other 08 Lancer owners. Unfortunately, they're still waiting for an answer from Mitsubishi so there's no point booking an appointment at this time.

He did however say that the car should start after 30 minutes (yeah like that's comforting in extreme cold weather).

I did manage to start the car last night after sitting on the parking lot for about three hours. It was a very weak crank though so I'm still guessing it's a starter issue.

Oh well, I guess I'll wait for another TSB to show up. If anyone has any other experience about this or come across a TSB in the near-future, please share your info. I suppose I can work around this problem by keeping the car on if I'm only gonna be off somewhere for 5 to 10 minutes. I'd really like to get this fixed by next winter though.

Last edited by gill2k; Feb 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

I had a similar problem to this. On a cold night, I started my car, moved it off a hill so i could let it warm up on a flat spot, turned it off to turn the drls off and tried starting it...it was about to start than stopped. At the time the gear was in neutral. Tried starting it for like 15 min. The starter was definitely cranking the engine over, but it wouldnt start up. Weird thing was when I put the shifter into 1st, it started like nothing was wrong.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gill2k
...I did manage to start the car last night after sitting on the parking lot for about three hours. It was a very weak crank though so I'm still guessing it's a starter issue...
weak charge in the battery/the cold wind (from driving) partially freezing the battery so that it can't deliver the power on a restart after a short stop? I'm a novice when it comes to extreme cold and cars and electrical systems... so these ideas might be way off base...
Old Feb 20, 2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by kalpakiotis
I had a similar problem to this. On a cold night, I started my car, moved it off a hill so i could let it warm up on a flat spot, turned it off to turn the drls off and tried starting it...it was about to start than stopped. At the time the gear was in neutral. Tried starting it for like 15 min. The starter was definitely cranking the engine over, but it wouldnt start up. Weird thing was when I put the shifter into 1st, it started like nothing was wrong.
Interesting... I'll give that a try if this ever happens to me again *knock on wood*

Also, much like the condensation in the relay problem, there's gotta be some build up of moisture elsewehere that's causing the circuits to fail and for the engine not to crank. Clutch assembly perhaps, just going by with kalpakiotis said?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this issue on a Mazda 3 but it wasn't related to the cold weather. Changing the starter fixed it, suggest it to the service dept.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

pretty sure the first gear thing wont work.. cause i park in first gear.. and start my car in first gear.. then go to neutral while it warms up.. and my car hasnt started 3ish times..
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Well out of curiosity, i went out in the f***ing cold a**weather to find out the part number for all the relays. It looks like they are all the same, NAIS ACV31212. Looking through the datasheet, it says that it is operational down to -40C, but since there isnt a graph showing temperature and output current or something similar, I dont know how reliable that is. Especially since i found this in the notes section:

5. Usage, transport and storage
conditions
1) Ambient temperature, humidity, and
atmospheric pressure during usage,
transport, and storage of the relay:
(1) Temperature:
–40 to +85°C –40 to +185°F
(2) Humidity: 5 to 85% RH
(Avoid freezing and condensation.)
The humidity range varies with the
temperature. Use within the range
indicated in the graph below.
(3) Atmospheric pressure: 86 to 106 kPa
2) Condensation
Condensation forms when there is a
sudden change in temperature under high
temperature and high humidity conditions.
Condensation will cause deterioration of
the relay insulation.
3) Freezing
Condensation or other moisture may
freeze on the relay when the
temperatures are lower than 0°C 32°F.
This causes problems such as sticking of
movable parts or operational time lags.
4) Low temperature, low humidity
environments
The plastic becomes brittle if the relay is
exposed to a low temperature, low
humidity environment for long periods of
time.

Professionally speaking, I'd say mitsu did a very poor job of choosing their relay, i would have gone with something that has been tested in freezing conditions instead of something that works in freezing conditions.

Here is a link to the datasheet http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe.../ACV31212.html

Has anybody gotten the new relays? I'd like to compare those and see what they are replacing it with...if its crap and i feel like it ill look for something a little more robust.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:07 AM

BULL... i read this before it happened.. i said to myself aw man i feel bad for these guys. then one night i go to leave and my car wont start, NOOOOOO! i gave it a little gas and it started right up it was freezing that night tho. It's only happed once, i gotta check the build date im still pissed. Whyyyyy?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbenite1
BULL... i read this before it happened.. i said to myself aw man i feel bad for these guys. then one night i go to leave and my car wont start, NOOOOOO! i gave it a little gas and it started right up it was freezing that night tho. It's only happed once, i gotta check the build date im still pissed. Whyyyyy?
Dude, what the Hell are you complaining about? You got the car running on your 2nd try. That's NOTHING to be mad about...
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:35 AM

I'm saying its a brand new car.. this shouldnt happen in the first place, the should be no second try
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbenite1
I'm saying its a brand new car.. this shouldnt happen in the first place, the should be no second try
Welcome to real life. I'm sitting in a building that's 3 years old, cost nearly $11,000,000 and has already had the elevator system completely rebuilt due to failure.

Having to turn the key twice is not a real problem. It's a little annoyance.

Quick Reply: Car Won't Even Crank!!!