Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

radio reception cut-out when HIDs turn on

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio reception cut-out when HIDs turn on

hey there, i recently installed 6000K HIDs that i bought in january. I've had them in since mid january, and everything seems to go right. But the problem is when i cut on the lights from parking lights to full on lights. the radio reception is fine when the parking lights are on, but once i cut on the lights (in a station position, ie my driveway or parking lot), i get some static and lose audio quality, along with loss of reception. I have a 1000W sony xplod system w/ amp and two 10" subs rated at 500W RMS each. i was wondering if this problem concerns a low amp alternator? not exactly sure what amperage it is, but what would you all suggest that i do? get a bigger amp alternator? if so where would i get one from? If anyone could help me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

-Jon
Old Mar 13, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joberk3
hey there, i recently installed 6000K HIDs that i bought in january. I've had them in since mid january, and everything seems to go right. But the problem is when i cut on the lights from parking lights to full on lights. the radio reception is fine when the parking lights are on, but once i cut on the lights (in a station position, ie my driveway or parking lot), i get some static and lose audio quality, along with loss of reception. I have a 1000W sony xplod system w/ amp and two 10" subs rated at 500W RMS each. i was wondering if this problem concerns a low amp alternator? not exactly sure what amperage it is, but what would you all suggest that i do? get a bigger amp alternator? if so where would i get one from? If anyone could help me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

-Jon
Sure can be your altenator trying to keep battery voltage and your battery voltage droping, specially with HIDs, they may take a voltage that the car wasent/doesent expect.

Also, by a long shot, do any of the componants of the HID system come close to the antenna? Magnetic field may interfer with it.

We had a car that would intermitantly no start/stall
Turns out the guy had a Cell Phone antenna/receiver thing installed, and it happened to be positioned next to the coilpack. Well everytime the cellphone recieived something, the magnetic field from it interfered with the coil pack, and bam, dead engine.

Took forever to diagnos, and only happened by mistake of the mans phone ringing hahaha.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Synthrocker
Sure can be your altenator trying to keep battery voltage and your battery voltage droping, specially with HIDs, they may take a voltage that the car wasent/doesent expect.

Also, by a long shot, do any of the componants of the HID system come close to the antenna? Magnetic field may interfer with it.

We had a car that would intermitantly no start/stall
Turns out the guy had a Cell Phone antenna/receiver thing installed, and it happened to be positioned next to the coilpack. Well everytime the cellphone recieived something, the magnetic field from it interfered with the coil pack, and bam, dead engine.

Took forever to diagnos, and only happened by mistake of the mans phone ringing hahaha.
um my antenna should be close to it. its located on the back window, so... there is an antenna for the keyless entry which is situated on the front windhield on the driver's side, up in the top left corner. aside from that, that's about it.