Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Crickets In My Car!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it looks like its leaking around that flange. Also did you stick the rag in there to check for leaks? I said rag over tail pipe!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it supposed to look like that??? It would be nice if i could get RRM's input on this. Also, I finished up and the noise is still there, but it just takes a litle more push on the throttle to hear it. I even used an impact wrench to torque down the bolts where the headers connect to the rest of the piping. I just dont get it.

Last edited by KBkilla0006; Apr 2, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

my question is, what was in the header pipe? A rag? you don't need to impact the header to pipe bolts...just 30 ft/lbs should do...

Did you find the leak putting the rag on the tailpipe and feeling around the whole exhaust?!?!

it sounds like the donut isn't sealing properly, if there is one?!? Haven't taken it off myself.

If there is a donut, then you could either A: get a new donut B: use muffler cement C: both.

I would recommend A first, you shouldn't have to use cement to seal the flange.

Last edited by CamShaft; Apr 2, 2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

I want to know if what is coming out of the header is normal, I have not put a rag over the tailpipe to find a leak. I disassembled the entire exhaust system took the header out and reassembled EVERYTHING. when i unbolted the headers I saw this, took a picture and wondered what was sticking out of the header. Again, it is just a noise. not crazy loud unless i am WOT. its not a clicking or tapping. really hard to explain w/o being in the car moving.

EDIT: updating first post. b/c that problem has been solved, instead of making a whole knew thread.

Last edited by KBkilla0006; Apr 2, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by KBkilla0006
First of all, is this normal in the pic? when the headers where new it did not look like that!!!

Also, I am completly taking the entire exhaust system off and rebolting it back on to make sure I couldn't have missed a single thing and if that doesnt work im just gonna let it be.

This most definitly is not normal.

It looks like the header flex section uses a stainless steel braided outside with a braided hose material on the inside. From what I see in the pic, it looks like the inside braided hose came loose, or stretched, from the engine side and is being pushed out thru the exhaust.

This is very bad.

One, its pinching off the exhaust flow, creating more back pressure then there should be. This will put much more strain on your engine while its trying to exhaust the emmision gases. effectivly, this is like putting that rag in your exhaust full time.

Two, this will greatly reduce your performance because your car is not exhaleing correctly.

Three, This is most likely where the exhaust leak is coming from. The exhaust gases are prob bleeding out thru the stainless steel braded part of the flex section due to the extra backpressure being created.

Four, This is also where your "chirping noise" is most likely coming from. Think of it as a reed in a woodwind instrument. your going from a larger diameter hole to a smaller hole and the loose braided material will also vibrate inside of your exhaust.

Now, I'm not a car guy, but this is my take on it.. I may be wrong, but I dont think so. I would call up the manufacturor asap and explain the problem and email them the pic to see for themselves. If they are a good company then Im sure they'll work with you. Its appearent that their product failed in that section.

Last edited by Wasper; Apr 3, 2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
make sure you get new gaskets...
Old Apr 3, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

yeah looks like you need a new header, it doesn't look right, I though you put a rag in there but yeah looks like the inside of the stainless flew pushing through. not normal, get a new one!
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:01 AM

^

Just to add to my earlier post... I revisited this post a few minutes ago and my co-worker walked in and looked at the picture. He is pretty handy when it comes to engines, he used to build up cars as a hobby, so hes pretty knowlagable about the subject.

I explained what was up and said basically the same thing I said in my earlier post. The header is no good. He asked "How long did he run the engine for like that"?.. I told him I dont know. He said that you may have already "roasted his exhaust valves if he ran it like that." (his words).

I would get that thing off your car asap and keep and eye and ear out for any problems that may arise from this.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

wtf??? is anyone else with the RRM header having this problem? I did everything I was supposed to. could this just be a bad header? should they replace it? I have been driving my car daily since i put it on and travel over 150 miles 2 days a week to go to school. My car didnt seem to drop in performance its just a noise its making.

Last edited by KBkilla0006; Apr 3, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wao
Old Apr 3, 2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by KBkilla0006
wtf??? is anyone else with the RRM header having this problem? I did everything I was supposed to. could this just be a bad header? should they replace it? I have been driving my car daily since i put it on and travel over 150 miles 2 days a week to go to school. My car didnt seem to drop in performance its just a noise its making.
I would say its definitly a bad header... its appearent that the flex section came apart internally and is getting pushed out into the exhaust pipeing. There is no way that that is normal.

First I would take it off the vehicle, there is no way of knowing what kind of negative effect that is haveing on your engine.

Second, I would call RRM straight away and talk to someone. I dont know how long you have had the header, but I know they only came out not to long ago and you shouldnt be having this problem. While your on the phone, email them the pic so they can look at it.

I dont know RRM's return policy, but generally they are good people... hopefully you can get an exchange. They would prob want to look at it anyway to see why it failed so quickly.

Let us know what happens... I would like to see if RRM stands by thier product, or if they give you a hard time.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, well I took it to my mechanic today, and his immediate reaction when he saw it was the same as mine, ''WTF?!''. Wasper you are right. The mesh material that makes up the flex tube of the header blew straight outta the header. We immediatley put the stock one back on. The car feels normal again and there is no high pitched sputtering. I spoke with Brian @ RRM, and he requested an email with details and pics, so I have completed that. The good news is my mechanic resurfaced my warped rotors and rotated and balanced my tires, and it feels like brand freaking NEW!!!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Call us asap. We will send another header to you. We need that one back to figure it out. No problem. I am baffled.

ROAD/RACE
Old Apr 4, 2008, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks ROCK. I have already got a resonse from Brian. He also said you guys will send me another one. i appreciate it more than anything. Once again, thanks for everyones help.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 01:46 PM

Glad it worked out for you KBkilla0006.

I'm also glad to see that the guys at RRM are sending a new one. It shows why RRM keeps getting return customers... the personalized support rocks!!

Quick Reply: Crickets In My Car!