Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Crickets In My Car!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crickets In My Car!

I want to know if what is coming out of the header is normal, I have not put a rag over the tailpipe to find a leak. I disassembled the entire exhaust system took the header out and reassembled EVERYTHING. when i unbolted the headers I saw this, took a picture and wondered what was sticking out of the header. Again, it is just a noise. not crazy loud unless i am WOT. its not a clicking or tapping. really hard to explain w/o being in the car moving.

Last edited by KBkilla0006; Apr 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably an exhaust leak. As long as you torqued everything, it's probably that. But it never hurts to retorque them (things can vibrate loose).
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well if you torqued it down correctly 36+- 4 ft/lbs then all should be good. unless the gasket slipped out or something was bent on the header. General rule of thumb for torquing exh manifold bolts is from the center out.

Also cricket chirping can also be related to a pulley bearing on the engine. When you bearing starts to go on either the alternator, ect it will make a chirping noise. This could be just a fluke that it happened when you installed your header, but I would go over the bolts and inspect for gasket problems or warped/bent header faces.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

That should take care of your problems.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Probably an exhaust leak. As long as you torqued everything, it's probably that. But it never hurts to retorque them (things can vibrate loose).
Will this go away? If so, when? I went back through and retorqued them (still makes the noise tho), but are you sure 40 ft. lbs is enough? Also, I have noticed it only does it while in gear and I push the trhottle past a certain point. I can sit in neutral and revv the engine and it does not make the noise.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hmmmmmm. If it only happens in gear, maybe it's the torque of the engine moving things?

No, it won't go away on it's own. If you ignore an exhaust leak, it will ONLY get worse, never better.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

okay i went through and lined everything back up, and retorqued ALL the nuts and bolts. There can not possibly be a single leak. YET I STILL HAVE THIS NOISE! does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? it is a constantly high pitched sputtering sound.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

A good way to find an exhaust leak (do this on a cold engine) is to take a friend and a rag. Have him put the rag over the tail pipe and feel with your hand where the leak is coming from. Then investigate there further. Hope this helps.

The only way is to remove the header, make sure the gaskets are still good, if in doubt get new ones. Also take a straight blade and make sure all the faces on the header are flat and one isn't bent a little off from the others.

Yes, 40 ft/lbs is what mitsu says in the manual, and its plenty. I torque 16L cummins diesel exh bolts to 42 ft/lbs.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by KBkilla0006
okay i went through and lined everything back up, and retorqued ALL the nuts and bolts. There can not possibly be a single leak. YET I STILL HAVE THIS NOISE! does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? it is a constantly high pitched sputtering sound.

I cannot tell you how many times I've said something like this:

it can't be leaking anymore . . .
*starts car*
DAMN IT!

Do what CamShaft said with a friend & a rag. It'll help you locate the exact spot of the problem.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CamShaft
A good way to find an exhaust leak (do this on a cold engine) is to take a friend and a rag. Have him put the rag over the tail pipe and feel with your hand where the leak is coming from. Then investigate there further. Hope this helps.

The only way is to remove the header, make sure the gaskets are still good, if in doubt get new ones. Also take a straight blade and make sure all the faces on the header are flat and one isn't bent a little off from the others.

Yes, 40 ft/lbs is what mitsu says in the manual, and its plenty. I torque 16L cummins diesel exh bolts to 42 ft/lbs.
That doesnt seem like a smart idea... blocking the pipe from letting exhaust gases out???
Old Mar 28, 2008, 01:33 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by KBkilla0006
That doesnt seem like a smart idea... blocking the pipe from letting exhaust gases out???
Well, don't do it for a long time. But it blocks the exhaust, forcing air to go out the exhaust leak. This makes the leak easier to find.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 02:56 AM
Evolved Member

yes as blacksheep said, it doesn't hurt your car unless you hold it on there for 20 minutes, and then it still won't do much just make it run a little off and use more fuel. But after you take the rag off, voila it runs perfect again. I do this all the time when I work on automotive. It doesn't hurt the engine, trust us. Great way to find leaks, good luck on the manifold leak, and update please, I am curious.

ALSO, you don't completely block off exhaust flow, some still comes through the rag. You just create more back pressure making the leak easier to find
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

I am going to take it to a buddy of mine, and have him look at it. I ''think'' i can smell a little exhaust when im sitting still, but it could be my mind playing a trick on me or the new header smell. I will keep updating with what I find out.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

any word on where its leaking?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

First of all, is this normal in the pic? when the headers where new it did not look like that!!!

Also, I am completly taking the entire exhaust system off and rebolting it back on to make sure I couldn't have missed a single thing and if that doesnt work im just gonna let it be.

Last edited by KBkilla0006; Apr 2, 2008 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Crickets In My Car!