Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Valet Key No Worky!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valet Key No Worky!

This is not a FAST issue.

The FAST key works fine, but I never give it to the Valet guys. Valet ket replacement is $35, FAST key transponder replacement is ^$475.

I have had valet guys use it before with no prob! Then tonight, they could not get it to start. All electronics would come on, and it would do one or two hard turn overs but with no start.

Left the key out, started just fine with FAST system.

I am going to take the car to Mitsu tomorrow and have them take a look at it. Will post the information I get from this for others.

Anyone else have this kind of issue.

I did a search and all related topics where FAST issues. This one is different.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 02:18 AM

That's not an issue. The metal key itself will not start the car without the FAST key in the car. The only way to use the metal key is to re-insert it into the FAST key as shown on the picture on the metal key itself. With the metal key and no FAST key the most you can do is put it into accessory mode.

I suppose the idea is that you can lock the glovebox or something else and then not give the metal key to the valet, to protect your stuff? Still haven't figured that one out.

For a better explanation, and pictures, consult your manual.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:21 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by cymdiggity
That's not an issue. The metal key itself will not start the car without the FAST key in the car. The only way to use the metal key is to re-insert it into the FAST key as shown on the picture on the metal key itself. With the metal key and no FAST key the most you can do is put it into accessory mode.

I suppose the idea is that you can lock the glovebox or something else and then not give the metal key to the valet, to protect your stuff? Still haven't figured that one out.

For a better explanation, and pictures, consult your manual.
Thats not what that key is supposed to be about, but thatnks anyway! I got it figured out but it is still stupid that I can't just use the key!

Last edited by RC2099; Apr 26, 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

really ?
You're telling that if I lose my Fast key's I won't be able to start my car only with the metal one ??
Old Apr 27, 2008, 08:37 PM
Account Disabled

Yep. It wont do crap! Well you can listen to the radio and put the windows down, but thats it! Try it. Put the FAST remote any where, in the house, the center console, the trash, and try and start it with the metal key only. It dont do crap!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Wow.. Now that's plain stupid.
So the day my Fast key stop working because of the battery (or any malfunction) I will need to be towed !
I'm gonna go ask my dealer about why do we get this key and even being able to enter it into ignition if we can't start it.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:13 PM
Account Disabled

I hope they know, mine didn't!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:06 PM

The key inside the FAST transponder is *not* a valet key -- it is an emergency key solely for use when the FAST system fails (i.e. dead battery, steering wheel lock solenoid doesn't work, etc). So you should never separate the bare metal key from the transponder to prevent any risk of separating the two.

Regarding your worries of having to be towed if the FAST key fails, the ID code chip inside the FAST key does not work off the FAST key's battery. This is why you have to insert the metal key backwards into the FAST key to get it to work (it is powered by the RF airwaves just like *every* other modern car out there). So even if the remote buttons don't work, the car will always start.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:18 PM
Account Disabled

Umm, thats great and all, but what good does any key do if you have a dead battery. Unless the tiny metal key puts out 12 volts, I don't think the "emergency" title needs to be applied to it! The only thing its going to do is open the door.

Umm, and in order for something so project a signal, even RF, it has to have power. It might have its own battery, but I don't think it does, but it has to have some power supply in order to transmit.

The only time this key is usefull is if the reciver system in the car no longer works for whatever reason.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Some misconceptions going on here. The chip that tells the car that the transponder is near has no battery connected to it. What happens is that your car is constantly emitting a radio signal at some frequency. (if you leave ur car alone for long enough, the battery will die) The little chip in the transponder is connected to an antenna, the antenna takes this radio frequency and uses the power from that to send back a confirmation code which the car then uses to unlock the car. Theres tons of stuff out there that works on the same principle. If you look at most books you buy, it has that little sticker that looks like it has metal in it...its an RF tag that alerts a sensor that your tryin to get a five finger discount on the book.

neways, the key in the transponder alone will also activate the alarm. without the FOB, the alarm doesn't know if the key is authentic and there is no way to shut off the alarm unless you bring out the fob. If there are ne doubts, just open up your fob, pull the battery and try startin ur car like it was an emergency.

Enjoy
Old May 4, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

i wonder if they can maybe craft me a key at mitsubishi cause im tryin to install remote start on top of my fast key but whats the point i have no spare key to install in the transponder required for the remote start
Old May 5, 2008, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

you can get a spare key from the dealer, but its gonna cost you. I would assume that they can also make a real valet key, one without all the buttons on it. I originally wanted one...but then i just decided that i'm not gonna let any valet guy drive my car