Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

bad gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you're not the only one, I get 17 mpg city (MT)

4. how hard are you driving? Lots of hard acceleration, or light and smooth?
Yes that's the reason, i know i can get get better mileage if I stop flooring it so often but I can't
Old May 20, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine's been getting better. Used to get about 24 mpg with mixed driving, last couple of months i've been averaging about 27-30 mpg depending on how many dumb people i have to pass. Can't understand why people drive 55 on the highway....maybe one day they will learn.
Old May 20, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

because 55 = even better gas mileage...
Old May 20, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bloody_angel1
ok, so ive always noticed that i didnt get the advertised 21mpg city (because most of my miles, are city, almost never highway) everytime i filled up, but never payed to much attention to it until now with gas prices being so high. so i filled up, and i had 229 miles from when i last filled up, and put in 13.849. 229/13.849 = 16.5mpg, thats horrible, thats not even close to 21mpg city, i want my extra 4.5mpg!!!

incase it matters, i use BP 89 all the time, but does anyone else get this bad gas mileage?
thw indow sticker mpg is based on formulas designed in the 70's assuming the car would never exceed 55mph. it is outdated & is in no way a measure of the vehicled mpg. in europe they use a "combined" mpg for new cars which seems to be more accurate.

my Land Rover LR3 said 14/18mpg. i get 11mpg if i don't use the A/C...
Old May 20, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
thw indow sticker mpg is based on formulas designed in the 70's assuming the car would never exceed 55mph. it is outdated & is in no way a measure of the vehicled mpg. in europe they use a "combined" mpg for new cars which seems to be more accurate.

my Land Rover LR3 said 14/18mpg. i get 11mpg if i don't use the A/C...
The EPA's fuel economy testing methods were revised for 2008 (effecting 2008 model year cars' advertised fuel economy figures) to reflect more realistic driving conditions. I for one DO get 21 to 22 MPG with my daily drives to and from work. Driving style is mixed; some days I get on it leaving the lights, others I just doodle along with the flow of traffic. The more I just stick with the flow, the better my economy is for the tank. Of course, it also helps that I'm driving home a couple of hours after the worst of LA's evening rush hour, but I'm still on city streets the entire time. I've been getting 250 - 260 miles on 12 gallons lately; A/C is on all the time.

Using the old methodology our Lancers would be advertising 25 City/35 Hwy, instead our Lancers have the 2008 testing method figures posted 21/22 City/ 28Hwy and 25 "Mixed driving".
Old May 20, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
The EPA's fuel economy testing methods were revised for 2008 (effecting 2008 model year cars' advertised fuel economy figures) to reflect more realistic driving conditions. I for one DO get 21 to 22 MPG with my daily drives to and from work. Driving style is mixed; some days I get on it leaving the lights, others I just doodle along with the flow of traffic. The more I just stick with the flow, the better my economy is for the tank. Of course, it also helps that I'm driving home a couple of hours after the worst of LA's evening rush hour, but I'm still on city streets the entire time. I've been getting 250 - 260 miles on 12 gallons lately; A/C is on all the time.

Using the old methodology our Lancers would be advertising 25 City/35 Hwy, instead our Lancers have the 2008 testing method figures posted 21/22 City/ 28Hwy and 25 "Mixed driving".
true, im very pleased with my lancers gas mileage so far
Old May 20, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

i get the advertised.. i drive hard sometimes.. more often than not... (MT). But alot of my driving is down the highway to my gf's house... fricken 33km away -.-". When i drove my car out tot he mountains for a snowboarding trip, i got better than the advertised highway mileage. So... I'd say my engine is doin me pretty good for gas
Old May 20, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i get extremely crappy gas mileage. I try driving easy, then once or twice a week i gun it, so I know its my fault that I'm getting less than 20 mpg. Also remember to check your tire pressure.
Old May 21, 2008, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lncrgts
89 burns slower, just use 87 unless you get it tuned to run efficiently/gain power on 89.

Short city driving like that can really kill your MPG, even by 4.5miles.
sorry but please know what an octane rating is before talking about it.

ADDITION -

if you have a GTS, or low profile tires with high pressure capabilities, then pump them up to 36-40 psi... you will notice better fuel mileage. I keep mine at 38 PSI and get 30 MPG city/highway. 89 OCTANE!!!!!!

Last edited by CamShaft; May 21, 2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old May 21, 2008, 03:07 AM

What?
So 89 doesn't burn slower than 87, explain?
The higher octane rating, the slower the gas will burn, and it will resist denotation more

Unless you've advanced the timing, 89 on a stock car designed to run on 87 is unnecessary.

Last edited by Lncrgts; May 21, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old May 21, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

yeah so yesturday after i put some gas, i checked my mpg and i was getting 16mpg city and about 22-24mpg highway driving around 80
Old May 21, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lncrgts
What?
So 89 doesn't burn slower than 87, explain?
The higher octane rating, the slower the gas will burn, and it will resist denotation more

Unless you've advanced the timing, 89 on a stock car designed to run on 87 is unnecessary.

OCTANE- the gasolines ability to resist pre-detonation or pinging from high compression engines, IE) heat. Octane does not make it more resistant to lets say a 35000V spark from a spark plug, it will burn with the same characteristics as 87. All it does is just have that resistance to pre-ignite due to the heat build up of compression. IT DOES NOT BURN SLOWER!
Old May 21, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CamShaft
sorry but please know what an octane rating is before talking about it.
Lncrgts is correct with his statement that 89 octane burns slower than 87 octane. Higher octanes allow you to run more aggressive timing advances BECAUSE it burns slower.

Higher octane != higher power. Why do you think all these Ethanol laced fuels have high octane ratings, but result in worse fuel economy than MTBE laced fuels? Ethanol has a VERY high octane rating because it burns "slow", but the explosive energy stored within it is WAY lower than the energy stored in straight petrol. The end result is you have to burn MORE ethanol laced fuel to make the same amount of power out of the same engine.

Just because every high power car on the market requires high octane fuel does not mean it's the fuel creating the power. It's mostly because these cars are running timings that require a slow burning fuel to prevent detonation.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

WHATEVER, think what you want. I didn't go to school for 5 years to not know about this stuff or anything.

It does not have extra power in higher octane fuels, you guys are on crack. it does not burn slower. all octane is is a resistance to pre-ignition!!!!

OCTANE - A rating scale used to grade gasoline as to its antiknock properties. Also any of several isometric liquid paraffin hydrocarbons, C8H18. Normal octane is a colorless liquid found in petroleum boiling at 124.6 degrees Celsius.

OCTANE RATING - A measure of a gasoline's resistance to exploding too early in the engine cycle, which causes knocking. The higher the rating, the lower the chance of premature ignition.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:17 AM

lol...

Quick Reply: bad gas mileage?