Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

08 GTS Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 08 GTS Engine Noise

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked in here before. I tried to search but couldn't find anything about this problem. I have noticed a high pitch sound coming from the engine when I am at idle, almost like a slight belt squealing noise. I am almost at 12K miles and have had all of the regular services done on time by the dealership. COuld a belt really be going bad in less than a year? Any feedback or advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Is your lancer manual or CVT?
I know my CVT makes whining noise when its coasting to a stop in low rpm's. It sounds kinda like a bottle rocket launching off in the distance. I'm pretty sure thats normal, I don't know the specifics. I think its because of the numerous belts in a CVT, and just the way it operates.

Although I'm not sure why you wouldn't notice it until now after having driven it 12k miles. You really cant hear it if you have the windows open, the radio on, or if you're not really paying attention.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry about that. I guess it would have been helpful to tell everyone that it is a manual transmission. And it's not a constant noise, more like a mouse squeaking under the hood... but louder. And it only does it when I am stopped and at idle. I think I am just going to take it into my dealer and have them take a look when I get some free time. For all I know it's just a dirty belt. I really need to clean my engine bay. Do you guys think that could cause a noise like that?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same noise, and only at idle. I was convinced it was a belt, and bought some belt conditioner/dressing and sprayed that on, but no luck. I think it might me some kind of bearing that is bad, but haven't had time to go to the dealer yet. Let us know what you find out!!!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Oh.. THAT noise. Yeah I've heard that too, it goes on and off, and can only hear it at idle. Have you guys noticed it with the A/C on or off?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Off for sure... Haven't heard it with the A/C on, but usually have the windows up.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:34 PM

Are you guys just talking about the supposed AC Clutch clicking noise?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

sisters car has same problem. i thought it was the belt too, but her car is a Hyundai. but still, she took it to the dealership and had it fixed. bushing and what not they replaced underwaranty. and the sound was gone .. then it came back 3 days later. so good luck... hopefully the sound stays away on the lancer for good though. good luck!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if it sounds like a "chirping" then its most likely a pulley bearing. Take it to mitsu.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

I dunno, mine doesn't do it constantly, if its nothing serious I don't want to bother bringing it in.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

I have an appointment set for Friday morning. I will post up what they tell me.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

So I took the car in and dropped it off on Thursday. They had it all day, and of course it wouldn't make the noise for them. So I drove it home and when I pulled into the garage it was there again and loud as hell, so I drove it back so they could hear it, and this time they did hear it. I made another appointment for yesterday morning, and again dropped it off for the whole day. When I went to pick it up after work they told me that they had no idea where the noise is coming from, so they couldn't fix it They could hear it just fine, but couldn't tell what was making the noise. How the hell do they have a job as a mechanic if they can't tell where a noise is coming from within a small section of the engine bay? They said I could bring it back again and they would look some more, but what's the point if they don't know what the problem is? I guess I will try again and see what happens.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:21 PM

I've had an issue with this as well. Sounds kinda like a bad bearing or belt rubbing (hard to explain but ALMOST a light grinding noise) and, uh, it's definitely coming from under the valve cover and only at idle. (used the rubber hose method to locate it) sounds like it's somewhere towards the front of the motor (passenger side) I haven't taken it in yet though.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

Well, since it seems like a lot of people seem to have this, either its normal and nothing to really worry about, or its going to be a recall . 1st year models ftw. The last car I had was the first year model too, my starter needed fixed after 4000 miles and the brakes at 14k, why do I keep doing this? lol
Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Loose belt probably

Quick Reply: 08 GTS Engine Noise