Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Any1 Knows Whats Wrong With my car??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any1 Knows Whats Wrong With my car??

hey guys, i drive a lancer 08 DE....bought it last year....i realized today whenever i turn my steering wheel left or right slowly to go to any direction i hear a weird sound.
the sound i hear is like a pattering noise...can anyone help me out ....i am goin to the dealer soon but just wana have an idea here first, and lets say its something that i gotta change...u think its a covered by the company's warranty? (Canada)
thank you
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like it could be an axle, why dont u look around under there for a broken boot or a leak or a hanging plastic piece or anything that could cause the noise
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:28 PM

so if there is something stuck there .....meaning i dont have to change the axel...b.c come on man its an 08 car ..already axel?? dont make sense..ya kno wat i mean?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 02:27 PM

i am having the exact same problem as of today. My steering is making a "clicking" sound when I turn, but it not at full lock. I think it could be moisture, it's been raining here in St. John's for over a week now. The steering isn't any harder to turn and it doesn't vibrate or anything so I'm hoping it's just moisture.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

i remember having some weird sounds a while back
dealership told me it was because of the cold weather…

…i think they are full of it though…lol
anytime there is a problem, they have some sort of lame excuse
(example…my car wont start sometimes [common no start issue] so i bring it in, i go back to pick it up and they tell me “you car starts fine, i turned the key and it started”……i’ll just stop there…)

but yea, bring it in, as long as you have no suspension mods, they should at least take a look at it…we have warranty on parts like this for 5 years after purchase
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:41 PM

i see i see...so two guys said it could be moisture n stuff..thats good news i guess..but i am still goin to the dealership tomorrow to make sure..... and hope its covered if there is ne problems.........
Old Nov 23, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well is it is your axles they are covered under our 10 year powertrain. Same with hub bearings & seals
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

same here man. its been getting colder here dropping to the 30's and even 20's a few days ago and recently i noticed my car creaking alot. and i mean alot. whenever i make slow wide turns in my driveway or where ever it sounds like an old rusty car. honestly its pretty damn embarassing considering its a brand new car, as Firaso said. im tempted to go to the dealership and complain but i feel as if it will be a waste. im not to advanced in the mechanics field but im wondering if the steering system we have in our cars not sure wut kind, needs lubrication of some sort. im getting to the point where im going to wd40 the whole front bottom of my car
Old Nov 28, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

I used to hear mine often specially during cold weather. I hear it now but not as much as it used to be. I took it to the dealer twice but the problem never went away.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

great... i guess i should save myself a trip and inspect it myself
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:53 AM

well i went to the dealership to see whats the problem...well guess what the clicking sound went away when i was there....apparently it happens when the car is cold.....but the good news is ..it is covered by warranty..i asked...
neways they said if u get the problem worse or it happen again just come back whenever u get the sound again...and we'll check it over.......the dealership actual lifted the car up to see under anyways....and the mechanic said there is nothing..the car is in perfect condition....sooo iunno guys
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:02 AM

got the same problem here, I've beginning to think that it's my front diff / transfer case.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Firaso17
well i went to the dealership to see whats the problem...well guess what the clicking sound went away when i was there....apparently it happens when the car is cold.....but the good news is ..it is covered by warranty..i asked...
neways they said if u get the problem worse or it happen again just come back whenever u get the sound again...and we'll check it over.......the dealership actual lifted the car up to see under anyways....and the mechanic said there is nothing..the car is in perfect condition....sooo iunno guys
yeh...its def not the cold weather for me and today proved it. the temp here went up to about 54 and it was still making the noise. its actually getting worse and the bad thing about taking it to the dealer is i only see them asking for $$$$$ since my warranty on suspension is expired. then again not sure if its steering or suspension making the sound.

and btw a little bit off topic but to everyone that reads this suspension warranty on the lancer expires after a year. after that u are on ur own. i know we get a 5 year warranty but its only 5 years on some parts. just pointing that out cause i was all excited about my alignment issue getting fixed under warranty and i had just missed the 12 months

Last edited by anbuzero; Dec 1, 2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 2, 2008, 06:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get a tapping sound on my car. I hear it when I turn the wheel to the left mostly at slow speeds. It kinda sound like the sound you get if you put your car in neutral on the CVT at a very slow speed. I thought it was just the cold mounts or something somewhere but right now I am not sure what it is.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 01:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

sorry to go off topic... but my friend has this 2003 oldsmobile car... and everytime im waiting at a red light the car vibrates... its only when im not moving and im pushing the brakes... what could it be?

Quick Reply: Any1 Knows Whats Wrong With my car??