Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Misfire between 0 and 5% throttle? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OZRallyGuy23
ummmm yea like my car has absolutly no low end. It doesnt like start going until im revin like 4k. **** YEA!!!! But yea also i think im having some problems with my intake air control. Do you guys know anything about this and what a faulty one would cause?
Faulty IAC would only cause a high or low idle, or prevent the car from idling at all (stalling). There is NO performance issue possible.

You need to look at the sensor data to figure out whats going on. The TPS could have a dead spot just above idle speed thats causing the hesitation. It's also possible there's a fuel control problem (high or low fuel trims). If you don't have a scan tool that can display live data, you might as well take it to a mechanic who does. Otherwise you'll be throwing parts at it all day long.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok now heres some more info to narrow it down some more. I got a really good deal on an safc last year so i bought it and installed it to help my idle problem a bit. I dont think the problem is in the tps b/c the safc gives a tps reading and it is smooth from 0 to 100. Now also i have noticed that if i run the car until it reaches normal opp temp and then i shut it off and just turn the ign on w/o starting the car, every 5 minuites the iac will make a crazy noise for roughly 2-3 seconds or so and its sounds like a spasm or something. With the iac plugged in, the car wants to stall out at red lights and what not. So right now im driving the car with the iac unplugged - the crazy part is that it doesnt hesitate or misfire at all right now even b/t 0 and 5 percent throttle.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok well I really can't help you unless you remove all your aftermarket fuel control crap. That's probably the problem anyway.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:04 PM

Even if i set the safc for a 0% correction across all rpms it still runs like ****
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

I know you inspected your plugs, but I have you tried putting in basic NGK coppers? I had a similar issue for a while (and actually have it now because I need to change plugs). Changing plugs solved my misfire and hesitation.

In any case your idle will dramatically improve if you go stock diameter exhaust, get rid of your fuel altering mods, and swap to copper plugs. You just have so many variables going on now that could be causing this. You should start eliminating them to solve your problem. Probably be quicker too
Old Apr 3, 2009, 07:26 AM

ok guys now also i did some more investigating. When the iac is plugged in, the car will idle at like 400 and stall most of the time, so for now im driving with it unplugged so the car idles up and down constantly. Also, with a cold motor, if i just turn the ign on w/o starting it, the idle air control piece as a whole will get like crazy hot within like 2 minuites. So im tending to belive that i have a faulty iac.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

i have a stupid question but that cel eliminator is on the second o2 sensor correct?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:26 PM

hey goys i finally figured it out - my intake manifold gasket was leaking air in.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

change your plugs and make sure you grease you boot up well.