Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lost Power-Steering

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Power-Steering

So yeah, I just got back from Phoenix (300 Mile Drive). I was on the road for about 5 hours (3 hours of consistent 90-100 MPH driving, 1 hour of waiting in traffic, and 1 hour of street lights, etc. The driving itself was mostly straight-aways, except for a little but of corners on the mountains.). Anywho, I shut my car off for two hours when I got home, and when I started it up, I backed out and noticed my power steering was gone. Whenever I turn the wheel, I hear a squeaking noise and it sounds like it's originating from the right tire. My power steering Reservoir is full, and I checked all the lines for leaks or anything wrong, my serpentine belt is still intact and the only thing related mod I've done to it was a lightweight crank pulley. So yeah, that's about it (Also, I dunno if it's possible that it could be an electrical problem, but just in case, my right headlight died too after I got home.)

**Update**

So yeah, I tried playing around with my steering. It seems like I have Power steering when I turn the steering wheel slightly. After turning the wheel about 40 degrees, the steering wheel locks up like I lost power steering. However, once I turn it slightly in the opposite direction (not necessarily 40 degrees) and try again, I can turn it again normally until I turn it another 40 degrees. IMO, I think it's a fluid problem.

**Update**

After doing some research, I've narrowed it down to the Power Steering Pump.

Last edited by Midnightkid; Apr 12, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Midnightkid
So yeah, I just got back from Phoenix (300 Mile Drive). I was on the road for about 5 hours (3 hours of consistent 90-100 MPH driving, 1 hour of waiting in traffic, and 1 hour of street lights, etc. The driving itself was mostly straight-aways, except for a little but of corners on the mountains.). Anywho, I shut my car off for two hours when I got home, and when I started it up, I backed out and noticed my power steering was gone. Whenever I turn the wheel, I hear a squeaking noise and it sounds like it's originating from the right tire. My power steering Reservoir is full, and I checked all the lines for leaks or anything wrong, my serpentine belt is still intact and the only thing related mod I've done to it was a lightweight crank pulley. So yeah, that's about it (Also, I dunno if it's possible that it could be an electrical problem, but just in case, my right headlight died too after I got home.)

**Update**

So yeah, I tried playing around with my steering. It seems like I have Power steering when I turn the steering wheel slightly. After turning the wheel about 40 degrees, the steering wheel locks up like I lost power steering. However, once I turn it slightly in the opposite direction (not necessarily 40 degrees) and try again, I can turn it again normally until I turn it another 40 degrees. IMO, I think it's a fluid problem.

**Update**

After doing some research, I've narrowed it down to the Power Steering Pump.

Noise coming from the right side front, is it a squealing or squeaking noise? Only does it when trying to turn wheel? If its a squeal, I would make sure your belts have the right tension, maybe you dident tighten them enough after doin the pully and theyre slipping?

What leads you to think its a pump?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, its a squeaking noise only when I turn the wheel. It does squeal at times, but thats only during cold starts. As for the pump, I was reading how maxing out the steering wheel puts a lot of strain on the pump. Only when I turn the wheel about 3/4 of a turn does the powersteering lock up. So my guess is that it's a pump or fluid problem.

But the thing is though is I turned the A/C on and its squeals like crazy now. So I'm thinking it could be the serpentine belt. What's the proper tension for the belt anyway?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hey if you need anything from the A/C or power-steering let me know because I took them all out due to Turbo build. I have the pump, belt, reservoir, etc. Everthing is in great shape and worked perfect before I took it out.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Alright, before I go out and grab another pump, I just want to double check that it's the pump in the first place. Here's a list of everything that's going on:

1) After turning the wheel about 1 1/2 , the steering wheel locks up and the pump/belts start screeching
2) Even with the engine on, the Power Steering fluid reservoir is still full
3) Upon turning A/C, the Power Steering Pulley struggles (slowing down and stopping during it's rotations).

*Belt tension is nominal
*Lines are intact and no sign of leaking
*No foaming of the power steering fluid

Any Idea's?