Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

AC Control Knob Not Working Right?!?!? Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2003, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC Control Knob Not Working Right?!?!? Help

Hey guys, I took my dash apart a couple of days ago to get it painted and all. When I put the new dash back in all painted, I noticed the left knob for the AC Controls that controls hot/cold is acting funny. When I turn it to cold, it feels like it's not turning all the way and when I let go, it just jumps back to the middle. Either way I turn the knob, it jumps back to the center position. I took it apart just now and dont see anything blocking the pulleys that actually control the hot/cold temperatures. Nothing looks odd or whatever, it's just not serving it's purpose. Does anyone have the slightest idea of what I am talking about or what to do to get it working right. The other 2 work fine, just the one is acting up.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

thats exactly what happens to mine. i got it fixed before but then it happened again. it happened right after i got my head unit installed so i took it to car toys and they said it was something with the wiring. maybe a wire got caught to the knob or something, i wouldn't know though because i never took it apart but just check the wires to make sure?
Old Sep 30, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Something is jamming the rotation of the dial. It happened to my Accord after a head unit install, and again after I replaced some cracked dash trim.

Pull everything back off and make certain that no wires have a chance in hell of coming near the mechanisim. Tape stuff back and use zip ties if you can. It all helps make a difference.

Of course, when you pull out the control box, make sure you can turn the knob fully. If not, there is some damage to the mech and you'll have to see your dealer.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

same thing happens to me. with just a slight bump it can go from AC to "not so much AC" then when turning over the top from cold to hot it takes a noticable amount of effort.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know if you mean it goes all the way back to center, But ever since I took apart my dash the temp knob is tight at the center and feels like it doesn't stay all the way at cold. On the hot side it feels pretty normal.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

i know what your problem is because it happened to me numerous times before i realized how to completely fix the problem. take your dash apart near the ac controls. look behind the AC control module and you will see a blue cord that is connected to the top of the pulley. either this one is not pushed down tightly, or it is the one underneath the steering wheel column. you will need to lay on you back and face up to see the blue cord where it is connected below here. just check the connections again. the clips that hold this down are very fraile and it comes loose very easily if it is hit. just make sure that these connections are fine, if not take it to mitsu but because they will see you painted it it might not be under warranty because it can be inferred that you caused the problem.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Mines not painted, I just took it apart to get a remote wire for my amp. stock radio, just tapped the power antenna, when you first turn it on you have to hit radio before CD to turn it on. But thanks I'll be on my back in 10 min. then I 'll take apart the dash to check up top.