Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lancer not starting after sitting a couple hours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well after having it further investigated it seems the starter may be pulling more juice than it should be on startup.. so it doesn't look like something is draining the battery but the starter is just pulling too much after its cooled off.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

huh? wow, I'd like to see where you go from here.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the whine it could be when you changed the alt you tightened the belts too much .

Try and spray some wd-40 while the car is on if it lowers the whine or even removes it , its nothing to do with the whining .

Try and changing the grounds/connections on the car .

My car used to do the same when it needed a new battery positive connector because it was rotted and now tight enough .
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:50 AM

Oh yeah forgot to add that, sprayed some belt dressing and that stopped the whine for the most part.

Heh, as mentioned, already changed the cable terminals, to Tsunami gold plated ones as I didnt feel like the original ones were in the best shape.

Talked to my normal family friend/mechanic thats owned his own shop for over 20 years, and he doesn't think it is the starter wants to check it out himself, so... will keep posted, and always taking ideas.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power drain I am telling ya I am a mechanic and deal with this type of stuff all the time If it is sitting there and the battery goes dead while sitting for a couple hours it is for sure a power drain, Now that could be anything from something grounding out to your trunk switch that turns off the light in there has stopped working or came off causing the light to stay on or same with under your hood something is either grounding out or some light or some component is staying on. Do you have something plugged into your cig lighter acc? Does your cig have swithed power or constant?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

keep us posted man, and good luck with ur prob! good info in here for other people.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 03lances
Power drain I am telling ya I am a mechanic and deal with this type of stuff all the time If it is sitting there and the battery goes dead while sitting for a couple hours it is for sure a power drain
that was my thought on this also... think this is what my mechanic is thinking too, as the symptoms aren't so much that of a bad starter.

Nothing in the cig lighter if it is the cig lighter it would be a short as it has not been used since I have owned the car, and while trying to figure this out I have went far as unplugging the trunk light just to ensure it doesnt stay on.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

the only thing not oem on your car are the tail lights.
That's where I'd take it from here. Go back to stock for a few days.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 04:14 PM

Put new interstate battery in car also.. to eliminate one more thing
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:44 AM

Ok so went to start car this morning and.. dead again.. so going to grab a meter and see if its registering anything.... my mechanic hooked it up to a test light and said it was registering any drains/shorts, but he did not hook up a meter to test if maybe it is an extremely small drain.

As I did notice that the radio stations were all reset, but the clock was still set. pulled the fuses and so far they seem good.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:25 AM

was looking over things again, and noticed that the ground that connects to the timing cover was against the power stearing pump.. moved this connection off the power stearing pump. Not exactly sure what settings I would put a multimeter on to test for auto..
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
A bad ground connection will also cause a battery to drain quicker. Did you clean off all the ground terminal connections in the engine bay?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:36 PM

may have narrowed this down some more... what would be allowing the blower motor to turn on when the ignition is off and key removed? Maybe I missed something but I thought that the ignition would kill the blower motor? Could this possibly be a blower relay, or resister problem that is allowing it to stay on? Also if it is, do you think this could be causing a problem with the battery draining... Although I do not run the blower, but if it is not going off with the ignition off, my thought is that it is drawing power of some sort even if aux... Going to pull the fuse and let it set over night as if the fuse is removed the blower should not be pulling power I would think, because it shuts off when fuse is pulled.

Last edited by xisien; Jun 7, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:15 AM

fuse pulled no power to blower, still dead when tried this morning.. next stop its going back to the auto elec shop tomorrow to have them check it.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Well something you can try is removing a couple fuses every night and if one morning you find out that the car is not dead that will help narrow it down considerably

Quick Reply: Lancer not starting after sitting a couple hours