Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

RPM idle is low Please help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle control Motor

Hello
I have been reading the previous comments and I have a question of my own that relates to the main topic.
I have an 04 Lancer ES and the check engine light is on. The code is P0507 (if I remember) and it deals with the Idle Control Motor.
I have cleaned my throttle body and also removed and clean the ICM. (3 screws with a elctric plug under the throttle body)
Car ran great smooth and with no light on for about 60+ miles then boom went on again.
My lancer if i remember idled at about 1000 to 1250. There is almost no feeling that the idle is fluctuating and if it does its by like 250-500 rpm's.

What else is there for me to do??? Please help my wife is nagging me to fix the car cuz it hurts.
hahah no really.!!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I feel like the ICV needs to be cleaned. Mine is doing the same thing but for some reason it only gets bad when its cold outside. Ive been doing research and people say the ICV needs to be cleaned but Im having a tough time locating it.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:54 PM

I have cleaned the ICV but the light went on after about 60miles. Runs super smooth. I hope the motor is not dead but I am thinking that is what is wrong with it.
The ICV is a little black thing under your throttle body. Remove the hose from the air cleaner to throttle body. There is a black thing with and electric connector held by 3 screws. Thats it. Mine was dirty. Takes longer to remove the hose than those 3 screws.

I feel like the ICV needs to be cleaned. Mine is doing the same thing but for some reason it only gets bad when its cold outside. Ive been doing research and people say the ICV needs to be cleaned but Im having a tough time locating it.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:35 AM

I've have experienced the same problem. Mine all started with the fuel pump stopping completely then spark plugs were shot and were only 50k miles old and were iridiums tips were completely missing caused miss firing. replaced spark plugs good for 1000 miles then next problem. when coming to a stop idle would get so low it would almost die then it started to fluctuate. took it to two mechanics all fuel delivery systems perfectly fine. It almost seems like either ignition problem or air to fuel ratio problem. it runs rough at idle and sounds like its going passed redline when only at 5000 rpm not like it use to be. Read some articles and going to try to replace EGR valve and mass air sensor. EGR valve because it can suck up some sedimentation from the bad gas and get clogged but not stuck so wont trigger any check engine light is my thinking.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by andymilonkis453
Do you know what a lancer is normally supposed to idle at? I let the car run for like 5 minutes but I don't really know if it's idling between 600-700 if that's bad.
I know this is a late reply but idling between 500 and 800 is normal it is normal for mitsubishi's It's a good thing it's idling at that not something high
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:42 AM

Y

[QUOTE=Ptolemyixi;8975984]I have cleaned the ICV but the light went on after about 60miles. Runs super smooth. I hope the motor is not dead but I am thinking that is what is wrong with it.
The ICV is a little black thing under your throttle body. Remove the hose from the air cleaner to throttle body. There is a black thing with and electric connector held by 3 screws. Thats it. Mine was dirty. Takes longer to remove the hose than those 3 screws.

I feel like the ICV needs to be cleaned. Mine is doing the same thing but for some reason it only gets bad when its cold outside. Ive been doing research and people say the ICV needs to be cleaned but Im having a tough time locating it.[/QUOTEyoutube certified mechanics just YouTube it lol
Old May 12, 2022, 09:30 PM

Vacuum leak

Originally Posted by Twitch377
The stock idle on an 03 and similar years is 700 =/- 100 RPM if your OZ is idling at any idle between 600 to 800 it is normal as long as there is no hesitation or missfire if so then you have deeper problems to worry about than a low idle issue, the most common problem with the 2.0 SOHC (1999cc) Mitsu. motor i have come across is IAC (Idle Air Control motor) or MAF sensor ( Mass Air-Flow), also you may want to have the timing checked, I recommend changing your timing setup anywhere after 100k miles of normal driving conditions provided you have kept up on your maintenance records and around 75 to 80k miles if you drive like i do lol! now to my problem?!? I am the proud 2nd owner of a 2003 OZ Rally and i have been having trouble with my idle fluctuating between 500 and 1050 RPM only at a stop though, it doesnt do it all the time just occasionally, i have checked all power and grounds, and serviced the throttlebody, IAC, MAF, and done a tune up, the only thing i can think of is the Timing Tensioner is weak and causing my timing to advance and retard as it wishes lol, please any ideas? I may work at a garage but we never get Mitsu's in our shop for more than an oil change or tires, this is the reason i bought mine has anyone done the timing assy. on theirs?

Also the previous owner was a dumbass and cut the downstream CAT off the car but left the O2 sensor on the pipe and added a straight pipe to the muffler, could this cause my idle issue?
__________________________________________________ _______________
03 Lancer OZ Rally, Borla Racing Exhaust, Short Throw Shift
Its a family car, but it will knock the dick off your Mustang!!!!

Delirious Creations - Charleston, WV
​​​​​​
hey dude so my 03 oz had the same idle problem, it was a vacuum leak where one of the hoses was clean in half. Check all your vacuum hoses it's like $1 per hose so it was a super cheap fix. Hope it helps!
Old Jan 29, 2024, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by andymilonkis453
try replacing it, I recently bought an 03 and same problem had it replaced and works well