Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

RPM idle is low Please help!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM idle is low Please help!

I recently replaced my positive battery terminal on my 2002 lancer oz rally and I went to start my car today and for some reason my rpms are idling at like 600. Can anyone help me? I dont know what I should do.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:10 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

let the car idle and have the computer "relearn" its idle.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Do you know what a lancer is normally supposed to idle at? I let the car run for like 5 minutes but I don't really know if it's idling between 600-700 if that's bad.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:29 AM

Why would that be a problem? I would think as long as it isn't dying on you then it would be okay. I think my idle is somewhere just under 1000 RPM sometimes closer to the 500RPM mark.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

yea the car isnt dying on me or anything. I just didnt know if it idling at 600 rpm was bad.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

its not bad. My car idles at 6-700 rpm after its warmed up.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 08:11 PM

The stock idle on an 03 and similar years is 700 =/- 100 RPM if your OZ is idling at any idle between 600 to 800 it is normal as long as there is no hesitation or missfire if so then you have deeper problems to worry about than a low idle issue, the most common problem with the 2.0 SOHC (1999cc) Mitsu. motor i have come across is IAC (Idle Air Control motor) or MAF sensor ( Mass Air-Flow), also you may want to have the timing checked, I recommend changing your timing setup anywhere after 100k miles of normal driving conditions provided you have kept up on your maintenance records and around 75 to 80k miles if you drive like i do lol! now to my problem?!? I am the proud 2nd owner of a 2003 OZ Rally and i have been having trouble with my idle fluctuating between 500 and 1050 RPM only at a stop though, it doesnt do it all the time just occasionally, i have checked all power and grounds, and serviced the throttlebody, IAC, MAF, and done a tune up, the only thing i can think of is the Timing Tensioner is weak and causing my timing to advance and retard as it wishes lol, please any ideas? I may work at a garage but we never get Mitsu's in our shop for more than an oil change or tires, this is the reason i bought mine has anyone done the timing assy. on theirs?

Also the previous owner was a dumbass and cut the downstream CAT off the car but left the O2 sensor on the pipe and added a straight pipe to the muffler, could this cause my idle issue?
__________________________________________________ _______________
03 Lancer OZ Rally, Borla Racing Exhaust, Short Throw Shift
Its a family car, but it will knock the dick off your Mustang!!!!

Delirious Creations - Charleston, WV
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:03 AM

My brother has a 2003 Lancer ES with somewhere around 70k miles and he had the same idle issues, so bad that the car would almost die at stop lights. Basically I gave him a bottle of Amsoil Powerfoam and after he shot that through the throttle body it cured the wild rpm movements. Ran like a champ after that....or as he said, "it drives better than your car." Which is not true.

I'm not saying that the product was a cure all but I have seen it work on my dads Honda Civic that would almost die after startup.

As far as the exhaust goes, I don't have a cat in my header setup and I don't have any idle issues.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

My car has been having issues where while I'm driving the car will have random spurts of loss of power, but it's VERY quick. I thought it was my alternator belt slipping, but I checked on that last night. In addition, whenever I am at a stop light, if I put on my heater it starts to go very low in idle to the point of almost dying. It's bothering me pretty bad, buddy of mine thinks it's my battery, but what do you guys think?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Well, i dont know about around you, but here you can take your battery in to the automotive stores and theyll test it for free. It sounds like that could possibly be the issue, but first check all your connections to the battery and your engine grounds etc. If your terminals are corroded clean them. But like I said, make sure to test your battery before you toss it.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:18 PM

How much is the bottle of AMSOIL? and is it Throttlebody Cleaner, or just a fuel additive Cleaner? I use a product called Seafoam, i have used it in every vehicle ive ever owned
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twitch377
How much is the bottle of AMSOIL? and is it Throttlebody Cleaner, or just a fuel additive Cleaner? I use a product called Seafoam, i have used it in every vehicle ive ever owned
Here some more information about the PowerFoam by Amsoil. It cleans the intake system via the throttle body but it's not a fuel additive. You take off the intake tubing to the throttle body and with a running, warm engine you spray the product through the throttle body.

I personally have never used Seafoam so I can't comment on that product.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twitch377
Here some more information about the PowerFoam by Amsoil. It cleans the intake system via the throttle body but it's not a fuel additive. You take off the intake tubing to the throttle body and with a running, warm engine you spray the product through the throttle body.

I personally have never used Seafoam so I can't comment on that product.

Here is the link to Powerfoam:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/apf.aspx

Last edited by joshisjamesbond; Jan 12, 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Sorry, double clicked submit and didn't include link.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Found out my issue....bad EGR valve. At least that was the code that was pulled. So...sigh
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:19 AM

ok guys found my trouble codes, someone had disabled my service engine light, i hooked our MODIS up to the OZ and im throwing a Bank one Sensor one Lean Condition O2 sensor code but im also getting a Fuel Temperature Sensor Range / Performance code i'm no expert but couldnt this Fuel code be setting off my lean condition on my O2? but my big question is has anyone ever had this problem out of thier Lancers?

Thanks Bros,
James

Quick Reply: RPM idle is low Please help!