Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

gauge cluster drop / stuck

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauge cluster drop / stuck

Anyone else have this happen?

I have an 05 ES automatic - while driving id experience ALL the gauges drop to zero and then back up again in a matter of seconds. The car didn't shut off, headlights didn't turn off, radio stayed on....just the cluster went dead and then right back up like normal.

This happened three times, checked for codes...nothing.
Kept driving it ignoring the issue.

Today - all the needles STUCK. 2k rpm, 35 mph, temp/gas everything just stuck in place. When I shut the car off everything was stuck, the miles was also lit making me concerned about my car draining its battery.

Brought it right to my boyfriends fathers shop to check for recalls, nothing. They were too busy to tackle the issue so I brought it home. When at a traffic light, not sure if this is even related, but the idle dropped so low I thought the car was going to die out.

Pulled the gauge cluster out, removed the wires, plugged it back in and everything seems to be working...FOR NOW...

Any ideas?
Anyone have this problem?

Shall I just fking sell it before I run into more issues?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I was going to suggest that you check the harness connections in the back of the cluster, but it looks like you've addressed that and likely resolved the issue. The flaky electrical connections likely caused your idling issue also. Only time will tell, but I think it should be OK now.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 09:06 PM

Well, seems like something is still not right.

Now nothing matches up - rpms are all over the place - speed doesn't read accurately.
Didnt drive it long enough to see if the miles changed (they didnt before when the cluster was stuck) - no idea if my gas gauge is correct...

This blows.
Not sure what direction I should take right now..
Im afraid to call the dealer since they probably wont give me any advice and will want me to go to them to have it repaired just so they can send me the lovely bill.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:35 AM

cluster was removed today again - circuit board was looked at and nothing seems to be fried.

Called the dealer and they said its $600 for the cluster.

WTF!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

you can find a cluster on here or ebay for wayyy cheaper then that bro lol good luck with the fix!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:54 AM

<---- CHICK

I understand I can find a used one, but if the cluster is faulty - getting another used one might leave me in the same situation I am now.

I dont think its the cluster now - I think its past the cluster, into wiring located between tranny and cluster. I did find a plug with 2 semi-corroded wires that plugged into the top of the tranny, but cant seem to find a wiring diagram to let me know WHAT the plug is for.

Wiggled some wires, removed and re-installed the cluster, works fine for the moment, but im never positive on how long the "fix" will last.

I did find a pile of cracked nuts/shells on top of my tranny. Seems as though an animal decided to make a home in my engine bay. Unsure if it decided to chew some wires or move wires around. Im having some people look at it either tonight or within the next few days,.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oLacy
<---- CHICK

I understand I can find a used one, but if the cluster is faulty - getting another used one might leave me in the same situation I am now.

I dont think its the cluster now - I think its past the cluster, into wiring located between tranny and cluster. I did find a plug with 2 semi-corroded wires that plugged into the top of the tranny, but cant seem to find a wiring diagram to let me know WHAT the plug is for.

Wiggled some wires, removed and re-installed the cluster, works fine for the moment, but im never positive on how long the "fix" will last.

I did find a pile of cracked nuts/shells on top of my tranny. Seems as though an animal decided to make a home in my engine bay. Unsure if it decided to chew some wires or move wires around. Im having some people look at it either tonight or within the next few days,.
well if you find out you do need a cluster I have an 0z rally cluster I'll sell ya for 60...I guarentee it works fine, I'd suggest getting some dielectric grease if anything and unplug every connection including your cluster that you can see on the car and goober it up...the mitsu terminals are garbage 1 drop of water and it'll be corroded in a few days
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by turbolancer02
well if you find out you do need a cluster I have an 0z rally cluster I'll sell ya for 60...I guarentee it works fine, I'd suggest getting some dielectric grease if anything and unplug every connection including your cluster that you can see on the car and goober it up...the mitsu terminals are garbage 1 drop of water and it'll be corroded in a few days
Like i had mentioned earlier - there IS a plug off the tranny that looks slightly blue/green and corroded - but i dont know what it does. So im not even sure if it would be affecting my cluster readings.

I will keep the grease idea in mind along with the cluster from you.

I think I want to fix it and get rid of it asap.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might be your cluster . I have one for sale on a thread on the Lancer for sale threads but it is a Evo 9 cluster , looks alot better then the lancer cluster and works 100% and plug and play .

As far as the drop in idle gos mine does that when the engine bay is hot and the ac is on because the intake sucks in alot of hot air .
Old Apr 8, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oLacy
cluster was removed today again - circuit board was looked at and nothing seems to be fried.

Called the dealer and they said its $600 for the cluster.

WTF!
I have an 2006 Ralliart cluster with about 40k on it for sale.
On topic, I had a similiar issue with my 2002 OZ, except it was only with the RPM and fuel gauge.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

so back to this topic...just yesterday i noticed that while i was driving my rpm's would jump to 3k while i was in neutral at a stop. i thought maybe my throttle cable was getting stuck cause it was kinda warm that day and i am turbo'd. shortly after i noticed that my radio went out, my gauge cluster needles dropped as if the car was off, my clock was very dim and my zeitronix went out
Old May 3, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

just went outside to try and see if it was possibly my alternator by starting the car and disconnecting the battery...didnt even get that far cause the battery is dead looks like the alternator is the poison....any other advice and opinions are greatly appreciated