Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Mystery car problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery car problem

the car has been awesome for 3 years now and had been turbo'd for 2 1/2 years. i filled up at the gas station and the next day i was leaking gas around the evap canister. another problem was the idle, it keeps on bouncing up and down. when im cruising, the car sometimes hesitates and sometimes bogs like crazy.. then when im at a traffic light it would die on me and have a hard time starting back up again.. i had the evap canister replaced then the problem went away.. until i filled up again 2 weeks later and now its worse than ever. it wont even stay on for more than 2 minutes. i noticed a change on my exhaust sound, its kinda like a deeper tone that sounds like it wants to backfire at idle. the only code i have now is a p0507 which came on when i put a different BOV on coz i had to raise the idle for the car not to die when i hit boost and decide to not hit the gas after shifting. so that technically doesnt count as a problem really.

i dont know what causes all these problems.. there are so many possibilities. IAC? EGR valve? MAS? all of the above?

any input would be appreciated guys, i wanna get this fixed coz i miss my driving my car already.. thanks in advance!!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Start with the basics. Check to make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks. Check your plugs and make sure they're gasped right and not fouled. That code is usually caused by a bad IAC or an issue with the wiring harness connected to the IAC, but anything causing a high idle situation may cause it to be tripped.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by senate6268
Start with the basics. Check to make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks. Check your plugs and make sure they're gasped right and not fouled. That code is usually caused by a bad IAC or an issue with the wiring harness connected to the IAC, but anything causing a high idle situation may cause it to be tripped.
no vacuum leaks, and the plugs are fine too.. they were replaced 350 miles ago. any other ideas? my gas leak problem? the stalling issue?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:25 AM

some of what you were saying sounded like you could have also had gotten bad gas. i stopped at a bp one time and it was working fine till like 15 mins later and then it got really bad. it keep joltten like you said and at a stop light the idle guage is lowering itself. for me lucky i cuaght the problem ahead of time but i still need to replace a fuel injector. for your other problem im not so sure about the leaking. it just sounded similar to my problem. hope this had helped any.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by MrEsteller
some of what you were saying sounded like you could have also had gotten bad gas. i stopped at a bp one time and it was working fine till like 15 mins later and then it got really bad. it keep joltten like you said and at a stop light the idle guage is lowering itself. for me lucky i cuaght the problem ahead of time but i still need to replace a fuel injector. for your other problem im not so sure about the leaking. it just sounded similar to my problem. hope this had helped any.
i gas the highest octane here eversince i got the car. and i also just fill up with chevron or shell. thanks for the input though.