Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Startup Squeal..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Startup Squeal..

2006 Lancer ES:

Just changed timing/accessory belts with all OEM speck (sized) belts. I also changed the crank pulley with a RRM lightweight. Now when I start the car after it's been sitting for 4+ hours I get a 2-4 second squeal. Ac is turned off when it does this. I tightened the Alt belt a bit and it still does it. Also I noted if the AC is on under hard acceleration getting on the freeway I hear a slight squeal when shifting gears. I also noted that if I'm sitting idle with the ac on the power steering seems to click on and off until I rev a bit and get the alt pumping. Now this I figured was from the lighter mass pulley causing the alt to put out less at idle. When the AC is off I don't have any power steering issues at idle. So any thoughts on the squeal? The alt belt has a very small amount of ability to pull on (It's not super tight.). Maybe some more tightening is needed? I know over tightening can put stress on bearings. Anybody else have issues with this upon belt changes. I used all Mitsu belts. I searched and wasn't finding any posts that answered my questions. Thanks for ideas. My mechanic said a bit of squeal doesn't hurt and new belts sometimes do it at first. I'm not buying it and I don't want to waste a belt by glazing it. It's been doing this for about 2weeks and I drive often. Like I said, only squeals after the cars been sitting for 4-5hrs or more. Vehicle has 60K miles

Last edited by jsdragonsoul333; Jul 14, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:59 PM

check the power steering fluid, having a new belt could have just informed you about an issue with the pump you didn't know about. without hearing though.... that's my best guess.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mikerock
check the power steering fluid, having a new belt could have just informed you about an issue with the pump you didn't know about. without hearing though.... that's my best guess.
Fluid is good. So it could be the pump getting tired?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 02:12 AM

To be more thorough the noise is most definitely a high pitched screech, not a whine at all
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Check the play in your belts and change if necessary. Also make sure that there is no fluid in the grooves of the belts causing slippage.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Your belt is still loose. I would try a little more tension. If you want to verify it is the belt after the car has been sitting as you said. Disconnect the wiring plug to the alternator and start it. I will bet the noise is gone. When you first start a automobile the alt. immediately tries to make up the energy you just used from the battery by directing full voltage to the electromagnet in the alt. ...

Don

Last edited by Roadrunr; Jul 15, 2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Roadrunr
Your belt is still loose. I would try a little more tension. If you want to verify it is the belt after the car has been sitting as you said. Disconnect the wiring plug to the alternator and start it. I will bet the noise is gone. When you first start a automobile the alt. immediately tries to make up the energy you just used from the battery by directing full voltage to the electromagnet in the alt. ...

Don
I will do this. There is a small amount of play with the alt belt. No fluid on the belt. With it getting more humid around here it's seems to be squealing a tad bit more. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:35 PM

my car does the same thing after i replaced the belts with dayco replacements and rrm lightweight pulley, squeel on start up whether ac is on or not, not everytime, but especially on humid hot days and after it has set for a while, and i have noticed that it occasionally does it when the engine is under load such as ac on, at stoplights, with radio on, etc.
It is very occasional though, maybe 2-3 times a month and that is it. All belts are tight. I have also noticed that there is a chirping noise since i have put the rrm pulley on, sounds like it is coming from the alternator pulley at idle at stoplights while in gear, but no issues with charging etc. Could this be because of the lighter pulley, or because of the aluminum material? I have contemplated several times putting the OEM crank pulley back on because I am not planning on modifying this car anymore...just a daily driver, would this cause issues since I have had the lightweight pulley on for about 30k miles
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:10 AM

I have also read around on the 4G94 that with the RRM pulley, smaller belts need to be used? Oh and upon further review it seems like it's the larger steering pump belt that is squealing, not the alternator belt. SO, I was trying to find the tensioner for the larger steering pump belt but I'm having difficulty. Anybody know exactly where it is? Is it on the bottom left side of the radiator?