Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Blue Smoke

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With higher boost levels and rich AFR dark, black smoke is normal when you first romp on the throttle, i dont see it with my lil 6 PSI lancer, but i have friends who's car puffs a lil black smoke when they first get on the gas hard and accel at 18-22 PSI, its just the rich mixture, having straight pipes you will notice it more.

When i got blue smoke, my intercooler and pipes were filled with oil, the seal in the turbo went and i bought a new 16g, and since replacement its been fine. Just rebuild and have the shaft balanced and put it back together, or just buy a new turbo!

my blown turbo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSWoeVjgUs8

Last edited by Mitsu.kid.02; Mar 31, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
Oh yeah? then please explain to me, that when my car was turboed and hitting 10.1 AFR under boost, why it never smoked? also please explain why a stock evo or RA never smokes. I'd really like to know why your car is "special" and smokes under boost

I have seen cars not fully tuned right, and very rich, smoke, so yes its possible. but with a good tune, there shouldn't be smoke

Would Mitsubishi be comfortable telling customers "Oh the car is supposed to smoke." when buying an evo/RA?

Umm ya mine does it as well, so ya i guess either ur car is retarded or we are all special and you are not. And all car dealers dont kno there *** from a hole in the ground so im pretty sure if u asked em they would tell u "no thats what a cat is for" or some other silly answer. People have told me when gassing my car it blows out a lil black smoke, and wham bam done and over. Its not driving around like a diesel truck killing everyone or anything. Its just under that momentary pedal to floor that it does it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would Mitsubishi be comfortable telling customers "Oh the car is supposed to smoke." when buying an evo/RA?

Actually I wouldnt put it past them.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 08bluegts1
PERFECT! Honestly, that is exactly what i want to hear because I can have it rebuilt for 225 bucks! I just dont want it to be the motor.

And to clarify, my car was still smoking heavy today so I took the Intercooler back off again and what do u know? OIL AGAIN!!! That definitely means turbo huh? I just dont understand because the turbo was basically brand new.. I guess they can go at anytime?
It is your turbo, its the only way oil can get into the intake system like that. Turbo seals fail with fauly parts, old seals, or will also fail if the turbo oil return pipe is blocked or restricted causing the engine oil pressure to force its way out the seal, rather than into the return pipe and back to the pan. So do check your return pipe once the turbo is off.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah? then please explain to me, that when my car was turboed and hitting 10.1 AFR under boost, why it never smoked? also please explain why a stock evo or RA never smokes. I'd really like to know why your car is "special" and smokes under boost

I have seen cars not fully tuned right, and very rich, smoke, so yes its possible. but with a good tune, there shouldn't be smoke

I love this guy..lmfao 10.1 afr under boost is way way rich. You my friend should give no advice on turbo motors ( you blew yours up .lmfao ). Next turbo you should get a better tuner!! no offense man you come on pretty strong for a dude with a bummed block.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dadsgts
I love this guy..lmfao 10.1 afr under boost is way way rich. You my friend should give no advice on turbo motors ( you blew yours up .lmfao ). Next turbo you should get a better tuner!! no offense man you come on pretty strong for a dude with a bummed block.
How do you know his motor is blown smart guy? He complains of blue smoke and he has a failed turbo oil seal... he doesn't have hesitation or power loss. So his motor is still ok as of now, it could have some minor progressive damage. But, as it stands, it still runs, so IMHO the motor is fine....just fix the turbo and steam clean out the CAC\piping.

So you, my friend, should lay off the smack talk unless you know what you are talking about.

Yes 10-1 ratio is a little rich and should be corrected....10.5-11 is technically the safe zone of a turbo spooled up around 8-10 psi. So, again my friend, know your sh*t before you talk smack. But this thread is not about AFR, its about blue smoke!

Last edited by CamShaft; Apr 2, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

lol you guys are greaaaatttt the OP mentioned constant smoking. a properly running/tuned car does not constantly smoke. I know its normal for cars to smoke under boost a little, then usually let out a bigger puff of smoke when getting off the throttle (like on a dyno).

my car was at 10.1 because it was on a conservative tune, because i wanted reliability. I told my tuner to do that for me and he agreed. no chance of blowing a motor!

also, i DID blow my motor before, because it wound up being too lean, but that was NOT my fault. The mustang dyno we were getting tuned on was brand new to that shop and the O2 sensor was not calibrated correctly. everyone that got tuned that day (it was a car show/dyno day) was running really lean on the streets, but since coincidentally no one had their own AFR gauge installed, we did not know this. but I did make about 276 whp on that tune lol, it was fun

just for the record, I have never seen a stock turbo car put out ANY smoke at all.

I can provide various videos of my car on the dyno, putting out BARELY any smoke, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by yitzac1990; Apr 3, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CamShaft

So you, my friend, should lay off the smack talk unless you know what you are talking about.

Yes 10-1 ratio is a little rich and should be corrected....10.5-11 is technically the safe zone of a turbo spooled up around 8-10 psi. So, again my friend, know your sh*t before you talk smack. But this thread is not about AFR, its about blue smoke!
actually the OP doesnt have a blown block that is correct where you failed is , dadsgts was referring to yitzac who did have some engine issues due to a tune when he had his lancer turboed.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
actually the OP doesnt have a blown block that is correct where you failed is , dadsgts was referring to yitzac who did have some engine issues due to a tune when he had his lancer turboed.
Well that makes sense....if he had of stayed on topic...it would not have been confusing. But a richer mix will not blow and engine. A lean mix could due to pre-detontation... But back onto the TOPIC... did you get the turbo fixed yet and the intake system cleaned of oil?