Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Blue Smoke

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Smoke

Hey everybody, I have a 2008 Lancer GTS 5 speed that I just recently turbo'd. I got the turbo kit off of a 2010 Ralliart and had another guy (dadsgts) install my kit. He has the same car and same setup (he just uses the evo turbo instead) and he has been running his for 7 months and no problems. Well when I got my car finished it ran perfect, no smoke, no power loss, nothing... About two weeks later my car started smoking blue only when I went into boost and let off the gas. So i asked about it and I was told its normal for turbo cars to smoke a little puff without a catch can. So the days went by and the smoke started getting more and more. Finally, I got started getting a surge on my boost gauge.. For example, I will hit 10psi then when I let off the gas it jumps to like 15psi.. And then I also started getting a power loss. So finally, I took off the intercooler and piping and it was full of oil; probably over a quart total. I cleaned it all out and ordered a catch can (hopefully its installed correctly). Today, I start my car for the first time since its been cleaned and catch can installed and still notice a lot of blue smoke coming from my tailpipe. What in the world could this be? My turbo is basically brand new and the motor only has 75,000 miles. I heard our motors are pretty strong.

Yes, I tried a compression test to see if my piston rings were bad but everytime I did a test (I tried 2 different gauges) it gave me a different reading everytime. I guess I had too much oil down in there and it wouldnt read correctly or something.

I want to get this fixed asap.. Any clue what it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:50 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blue smoke is bad
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

wow... if u found a qt of oil in the intake.... you coudn't of possibly got it all out

how much is the catch can getting now?

i dont think it should be pushing that much threw... but idk anything bout the gts

my guess is there is still oil in there getting in the combustion chamber..maybe give all the pipes another clean sweep..clean the maf while your at it and the throttle body as well..

intercooler may be swimmin in oil too
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
I dont have much help here to offer but in regard to seeing some smoke with a turbo car it isn't blue smoke u are suppose to see cause that is indication of burning oil. You should see dark grey to blackish smoke due to being rich.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:47 AM

I understand its bad.. and yes im sure i still have oil in my throttle body, manifold, and exhaust which i cannot get out.. but i did get all of the oil out of my intercooler and piping... i also know blue smoke is bad and isnt really meant to happen for a turbo car.. but dadsgts even smokes a light blue puff and his runs perfectly fine and says it is normal.. but mine is more than a little puff.. also i just started driving it today so i cant tell what its in the catch can yet..

i just want to know what it is so i can fix it.. other than maybe a head gasket, piston rings, or turbo what else could it be? Do you think I just need to keep driving it to burn out the extra oil in the exhaust, manifold, and throttle body?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08bluegts1
I understand its bad.. and yes im sure i still have oil in my throttle body, manifold, and exhaust which i cannot get out.. but i did get all of the oil out of my intercooler and piping... i also know blue smoke is bad and isnt really meant to happen for a turbo car.. but dadsgts even smokes a light blue puff and his runs perfectly fine and says it is normal.. but mine is more than a little puff.. also i just started driving it today so i cant tell what its in the catch can yet..

i just want to know what it is so i can fix it.. other than maybe a head gasket, piston rings, or turbo what else could it be? Do you think I just need to keep driving it to burn out the extra oil in the exhaust, manifold, and throttle body?
well.. you know what it is...its oil..

question is where is the oil comin from and is it done.. if it was catch can related than hey that may of solved the problem!!

now being that i dont own a gts...i'm not sure what the issues are when its turboed or if a catch can is required... but if it were my car i would definately clean everything best i can...maybe even pull a plug or two and check ur cylinders just to get a look at em

and just dont go in boost until the smoke clears..eventually it should clear up if catch can resolved it. but at the same time you dont want to damage your motor anymore.

but driving you car before and after, did you notice a difference in power? i'm not sure how affective doin a compression test will be if motor is already in the chamber
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by sharkm87
well.. you know what it is...its oil..

question is where is the oil comin from and is it done.. if it was catch can related than hey that may of solved the problem!!

now being that i dont own a gts...i'm not sure what the issues are when its turboed or if a catch can is required... but if it were my car i would definately clean everything best i can...maybe even pull a plug or two and check ur cylinders just to get a look at em

and just dont go in boost until the smoke clears..eventually it should clear up if catch can resolved it. but at the same time you dont want to damage your motor anymore.

but driving you car before and after, did you notice a difference in power? i'm not sure how affective doin a compression test will be if motor is already in the chamber
i mean it really doesnt smoke bad unless i get on it pretty hard.. but yeah i think i notice some power back now that i cleaned everything.. i did pull all of my plugs out and they looked perfect, no sludge or anything. But like i said, I am not sure if my catch can is even hooked up correctly so if my catch can isnt catching it then maybe thats why its still smoking!
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 08bluegts1
i mean it really doesnt smoke bad unless i get on it pretty hard.. but yeah i think i notice some power back now that i cleaned everything.. i did pull all of my plugs out and they looked perfect, no sludge or anything. But like i said, I am not sure if my catch can is even hooked up correctly so if my catch can isnt catching it then maybe thats why its still smoking!
Your turbo is done... Did you not clue in when you found your CAC full of oil?! It is coming from the turbo seal. You need it rebuilt or a new turbo
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by CamShaft
Your turbo is done... Did you not clue in when you found your CAC full of oil?! It is coming from the turbo seal. You need it rebuilt or a new turbo
PERFECT! Honestly, that is exactly what i want to hear because I can have it rebuilt for 225 bucks! I just dont want it to be the motor.

And to clarify, my car was still smoking heavy today so I took the Intercooler back off again and what do u know? OIL AGAIN!!! That definitely means turbo huh? I just dont understand because the turbo was basically brand new.. I guess they can go at anytime?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

The guy that sold the turbo to you probably lied, first of all. Its definitely a blown turbo. Also, if you were on 10 psi, spiking 15, I'd consider a motor rebuild. My motor blew on 9.5 - 10 pounds. No, these motors are NOT strong. The 4B11T is strong, not 4B11. You shouldnt have turboed your car if THIS is how you handle these problems man. Seriously, seeing blue smoke and oil in all of your pipes, and STILL driving the car, let alone driving it hard?? You need to take the turbo off your car before you blow the motor, im surprised you havent already. And im surprised that your friend dadsgts doesnt know what blue smoke means either, jeez. Any smoke on any vehicle is bad or unwanted, unless its freezing temps out and the exhaust is smoking because its hot exhaust gas meeting cold air. When my car was turboed, it never smoked or leaked anything one bit. Come on people, LEARN!!!

If smoking was normal for a turbo car, dont you think factory turboed cars (like evos, for example) would smoke too? But they dont!

Also, what do you mean the catch can may not be hooked up correctly? You need a lesson in cars before modifying one...

Last edited by yitzac1990; Mar 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
The guy that sold the turbo to you probably lied, first of all. Its definitely a blown turbo. Also, if you were on 10 psi, spiking 15, I'd consider a motor rebuild. My motor blew on 9.5 - 10 pounds. No, these motors are NOT strong. The 4B11T is strong, not 4B11. You shouldnt have turboed your car if THIS is how you handle these problems man. Seriously, seeing blue smoke and oil in all of your pipes, and STILL driving the car, let alone driving it hard?? You need to take the turbo off your car before you blow the motor, im surprised you havent already. And im surprised that your friend dadsgts doesnt know what blue smoke means either, jeez. Any smoke on any vehicle is bad or unwanted, unless its freezing temps out and the exhaust is smoking because its hot exhaust gas meeting cold air. When my car was turboed, it never smoked or leaked anything one bit. Come on people, LEARN!!!

If smoking was normal for a turbo car, dont you think factory turboed cars (like evos, for example) would smoke too? But they dont!

Also, what do you mean the catch can may not be hooked up correctly? You need a lesson in cars before modifying one...
Actually, dark smoke IS normal on a turbo car under boost. We are tuned to have an AFR around (and even below) 11 on the 4B11T which will definitely lead to dark smoke... Which becomes pretty noticeable under high load.

To OP: As already stated, it's probably you turbo that needs to be replaced/rebuilt. I don't know the possible consequence on the engine itself of having oil in your conbustion chambers, but it is definitely bad for you sensors. If I were you I'd have this fixed as soon as possible.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Blue is oil

Black is fuel

White could be confused by oil, or it could be water vapoprs
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zx-319
Actually, dark smoke IS normal on a turbo car under boost. We are tuned to have an AFR around (and even below) 11 on the 4B11T which will definitely lead to dark smoke... Which becomes pretty noticeable under high load.
Oh yeah? then please explain to me, that when my car was turboed and hitting 10.1 AFR under boost, why it never smoked? also please explain why a stock evo or RA never smokes. I'd really like to know why your car is "special" and smokes under boost

I have seen cars not fully tuned right, and very rich, smoke, so yes its possible. but with a good tune, there shouldn't be smoke

Would Mitsubishi be comfortable telling customers "Oh the car is supposed to smoke." when buying an evo/RA?

Last edited by yitzac1990; Mar 30, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 04:28 PM

Question

Well actually thats not technically spikIng. its a compression surge. spiking is when u give it gas and it goes up, not when u let off.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah? then please explain to me, that when my car was turboed and hitting 10.1 AFR under boost, why it never smoked? also please explain why a stock evo or RA never smokes. I'd really like to know why your car is "special" and smokes under boost

I have seen cars not fully tuned right, and very rich, smoke, so yes its possible. but with a good tune, there shouldn't be smoke

Would Mitsubishi be comfortable telling customers "Oh the car is supposed to smoke." when buying an evo/RA?
Apparently you didn't look very well.. Anyway, when I say smoke, I'm not talking about a huge cloud that will obstruct the sun and cause the next ice age!

Mine does a big cloud when I floor from dead stop cause I have no cat... Other ones makes make a small but noticeable smoke that dissipate fairly fast. But there still. A little dark smoke means a healthy tune. Too much means too rich or ineffective (absent?) cat...

Ask any tuner, on a turbo setup, a little bit of dark smoke is expected and desired.

If YOUR car is not producing any dark smoke, I'd say you have either a very efficient and/or very restrictive exhaust system which leads to a more complete combustion of the gas that is injected. At 10.1 AFR there is absolutely no way all that fuel can be burnt inside the combustion chamber. If you have a good exhaust system and upgraded your cat then make sure your AFR sensor is a good one and that it's properly calibrated.

Another note... When you drive at 120 KPH on the highway and floor, there is no way enough smoke can accumulate at the back of you exhaust for someone to notice it. Try flooring from dead stop...

Anyway, we could argue a long time. About that but I think it is pretty pointless... I have smoke on mine and it's a healthy setup. My sensor is well calibrated and the tune is not abnormaly rich (GST v2.5).

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke