Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2009 GTS engine noise around 3000rpm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GTS engine noise around 3000rpm

I bought my 2009 GTS new and everything was fine. About a year later I have started to ear an annoying noise from the engine at around 3000rmp.

If I accelerarate just a bit it will stop (~3100rpm) and come back at 3000... To give an idea, it is the same rattling sound that my old 240sx was doing when my timing chain rails where bad OR if a heat shield was making noise badly.

A guy at mitsubitshi told me, after a test drive, that this was normal for these engines (so I guess that when the car was new, it wasn't normal to have a great ride...)

I checked all the things that can be loose under the hood like exhaust shields. The noise seems to come from the top of the engine..

Anyone experience that rattling noise ?! I read post about the ticking at idle and thats not my problem.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Both me and a friend of mine have it (I assume its the same noise). Do u hear it when its stationary and u lift the bonnet up? We are both stumped as to what it is, but ive had no negative impact and the noise has been going for more than 2 years.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:25 PM

Do u hear it when its stationary and u lift the bonnet up?
No, only when driving and in gear. The best way to hear it is to accelerate slowly, I hear it clearly in all gears from 2500 to ~3000 rpm.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In general , if you guys are going to post an issue with your car. You have to be specific with what the car is, engine, configuration, transmission, mods,

If not, it makes it real hard to narrow the issue down.

In general, if you speaking about the CVT. There are noises that you would likely not have heard anywhere else. CVT technology isnt really new, but it still isnt widely adopted. A cvt can generate a sizable amount of sound due to the belts operation.

If its not a CVT, then its possible it could be the engine and related to temperature.

To be honest. it really could be anything. But reving the engine beyond 3000 is outside the realm of normal driving. if its not making the sound at low revs, then I would conclude there isnt anything wrong.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I may be experiencing the same issue, it has to be on a quiet road with music down. but at 3500 rpm I can hear what sounds like a top end valve tick. It will only do it at 3500 +/- 100 rpm, just off idle on the accelerator. If i put my foot into it, it goes away. I just checked the valve set and it was bang on. Just did a service and no loose heat shields or anything... weird. no performance issues. Oh well, yay warranty when it blows up
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:50 AM

just off idle on the accelerator. If i put my foot into it, it goes away.
Exactly.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:35 PM

got the same problem here... but i only noticed the rattling noise at 2500-3000 rpm after i installed my aftermarket exhaust. thought it was the heat shield, but nothing... does everyone who has this problem have aftermarket exhausts? cuz i feel like it's the heat shield but can't point it out to say it is...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

do you all have the pzev model? I think i had the same thing you are talking about, its almost like a slight chattering. I just installed an exaust with a cat deletetion and that sound went away. Otherwise, that sound is normal for the pzev engine as I've heard it from day one and im at 70k miles now.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kalpakiotis
do you all have the pzev model? I think i had the same thing you are talking about, its almost like a slight chattering. I just installed an exaust with a cat deletetion and that sound went away. Otherwise, that sound is normal for the pzev engine as I've heard it from day one and im at 70k miles now.
I have the regular emissions, with only the one cat. The funny thing is I noticed it just after I checked the valve set, but the valve set was bang on. Not even .001" out... weird. To my mechanically trained ear it sounds like a top end tick, but it cant be as it doesnt do it throughout the RPM range. And if you accelerate hard it goes away, so it cant be an exhaust leak. I did slightly bend some exh. heat shields on my last service as I thought it may be vibrating together but I havent really cared, or had a chance, to listen. It is very faint none the less.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

When I did my service there are two heat shields that overlap each other right under the car on the RHS where the exh. pipe meets the manifold. I bent one slightly so it wasnt as close to the other and the noise seems to have gone away... but I will keep an eye on it if it ever comes back.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks for that cam. I knew it had to do something with the heat shield...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:35 AM

Cam,
Was wondering if your noise had returned or was it fixed with the heat shield bending. I have this same exact noise, 5th gear, 45mph, 2500rpm 'ish on very light throttle sounds like ticking valves. Lift off my foot or increase rpm slightly and it goes away.

Please update.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:33 PM

Same noise here

I have started hearing the same noise on my '08 GTS when I hit around 55k miles. The manual says to have the valves checked at 60k, so I had a garage check it and they said the clearance was fine. I now have 72k miles and it is becoming a little easier to hear. I might bring it somewhere else to check the valve clearance. Checking that myself is a little out of my ability.

In my car the noise is exactly at 2800 RPM and only at 2800 RPM. It sounds like a very short grinding rattle.

I can't figure out what it is. I thought it could be related to the MIVEC changing at that RPM but the MIVEC profiles I found do not show a change at that RPM.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 08:00 AM

I have the same noise and I narrowed it down to the front exhaust pipe that comes off the manifold.

i have a 2008 GTS lancer...

the problem i am having though is that i cant find the pipe anywhere in eastern canada

i get the sound while driving or stationary between 2500-3000 rpm. when i have someone put pressure on the pipe with a stick the rattle goes away

2009 GTS engine noise around 3000rpm-lancer-exhaust.jpg

item #14

Last edited by adenstedt; Sep 2, 2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: added picture of exhaust
Old Sep 25, 2015, 08:35 AM

I have the same noise as described above in a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.4L 5-speed (approx. 88000 miles). It lasts about 2 seconds upon start up and I hear it at about 2500-3000 RPM while driving/shifting. Took it to mechanic who replaced the timing chain, tensioner, and water pump. Took for test drive and no change in noise. Wondering is someone that has had same issue has found resolution to the problem.

Quick Reply: 2009 GTS engine noise around 3000rpm