Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Two seperate problems! Moving steering column?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two seperate problems! Moving steering column?

Firstly, I've been driving with this problem for probably 5 months now and was told that it was an expensive fix and not to worry about it. I've become rather curious and decided to throw it at you guys. My entire steering column moves from left to right and I don't know why. It has roughly 2 inches of play back and forth, which really annoying when making tight turns. Any idea what this is?

Secondly, I've scoured the Internet (and the FS threads on here) and can't seem to find ANYONE selling a "third brake light" (the strip of lighting attached to the spoiler on my OZ Rally). Any clue where I could get one (aside from paying out the *** at the dealership)?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:11 PM

I'm open to any suggestions here!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No idea on the second one but your steering column is a common issue, i fixed mine a few months ago. Whats happening is you have two bolts that hold up your steering wheel. If you take the lower have plastic off that under your steering column you will see them. They are bolted to these:

Now the grooves you see here slide into plates connected to the column here

Like so

If you do not fix this soon one day you steering wheel is just going to drop in your lap, trust me it happened to me, I could still steer fine but definately was not expecting it. To fix this I drilled through the four circles you see on each slider then ran a small bolt through each hole then used jb weld on top of that. Its been rock solid ever since. I pulled my whole steering column out as you can see but you may be able to get in there without pulling the column. Hope this helps
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itz_speld_rong
Any clue where I could get one (aside from paying out the *** at the dealership)?
At least get a quote from the dealer. It's unlikely, but you could be surprised.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 03lances
To fix this I drilled through the four circles you see on each slider then ran a small bolt through each hole then used jb weld on top of that. Its been rock solid ever since. I pulled my whole steering column out as you can see but you may be able to get in there without pulling the column. Hope this helps
This seems way out of my knowledge and experience range, yet so simple to do. I wouldn't even know where to start. I may have a huge project when I get home from vacation. I'm just not sure I can get in done one one of my weekends and I need to car for work.

Originally Posted by blaze_125
At least get a quote from the dealer. It's unlikely, but you could be surprised.
I really don't seem to have any other choices at this point.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure the slots for the mounting points is so the column will collapse in a wreck. Those four indents have a set sheer strength (have no idea what that would be). I would worry a little about using bolts to hold it in place. Don't get me wrong I think 03lances fix was pretty good. I just wouldn't want it to not sheer off and eat the steering wheel.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2slow4now
I'm pretty sure the slots for the mounting points is so the column will collapse in a wreck. Those four indents have a set sheer strength (have no idea what that would be). I would worry a little about using bolts to hold it in place. Don't get me wrong I think 03lances fix was pretty good. I just wouldn't want it to not sheer off and eat the steering wheel.
You make a good point never thought about that lol I was centered on making that baby rock solid again, might prove to be too rock solid . maybe just stick with roughing up the surfaces and using jb weld that should hold just fine and still give way if in the unfortunate event of an accident, plus this would save you a good deal of time
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

It got me thinking about that trying to figure out something that would be solid yet shear off fairly easily. Maybe some brass machine screws? Those would be fairly soft. Or maybe some aluminum rod and cut it longer and mushroom the ends so it wouldn't come out. Then again we aren't supposed to wreck either. LOL
I did look a steering column up and I was suprised it was only like $249 from http://oemmitsubishiparts.com/partlo...layCatalogid=0 I was thinking more like 6-700.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just got back from vacation. Grandma didn't have any form of Internet access, it felt like camping. >_<

I'll consult my car-savvy friend and decide on a plan.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:29 PM

Went to the dealership. $250 for the LED strip...

I told them no thank you...

Still hoping to find a strip (possibly used?) for something near $15. (I'm willing to throw a finders fee if anyone knows where I can land one). If not, I guess I'm taking a dremel to it and attempting this fiasco myself.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.usautodealerparts.com/par...layCatalogid=0

$158 from Auburnvalleycars.com

Your best bet is ebay or a junk yard

ebay found this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-03...Q5fAccessories

$115..
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:54 AM

I can't believe they're selling this tiny part for that much.

I guess those are still cheaper than the dealership though...