Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Issues With Aftermarket Alternators?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues With Aftermarket Alternators?

Hi All,

Just searching to see if what has happened to me and my '02 Lancer OZ Rally, has happened to anybody else...

Three weeks ago, the original alternator the vehicle came with, broke, as in stopped charging. I took it to my trusted mechanic and he promptly replaced the alternator with an aftermarket alternator (like most mechanics do in attempt to save on cost).

After two weeks, I developed a bit of a rough idle and an intermittent squeaking noise from something along the belt. On the day I had planned on taking the car back in, the squeaking stopped - the brand new alternator seized, partially melted the belt, and stalled the engine.

After the new alternator was replaced under warranty, I drove my Lancer out of the shop again. I make it two miles down the road before I get the charging system warning light. I immediately take the car back. The diagnosis, yet another faulty alternator, out of the box.

So now my mechanic switches aftermarket brands... The 3rd replacement has been on the car for three days and I have once again developed a rough idle. My mechanic seems to think I coincidentally developed fuel, throttle, etcetera issues. I think the odds of that are slim, considering the car was money until the original alternator gave out.

I'm thinking my Lancer may require an OEM alternator. Any of you ever have "compatibility" issues with aftermarket alternators?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Aaron
Old Jul 22, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

on stuff like that always go witm OEM unless you know the maker and they have a reputable name. gaskets ,starters, alts. ive made the mistake and went "aftermarket" and it all failed, but everybody has their own opinion.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed either OEM or my personal preference is aftermarket but with Lifetime warranty that way if it goes out again in ten years you can just bring it in and get another.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:49 PM

SO this is weird, but the same thing just happened to my '02 OZ this afternoon, and I am also from Michigan... weird. But yeah, I did not drive the car for about a month, went to start it up, had a very loud squeaking noise and the bat and break light went on, and then smoke from under the hood. I turned it off, opened up the hood, and see a melted belt on the alternator pulley. Doused it with some water I had and well not much I can do right now.

Is this a common thing to happen to alternators? What did you end up doing to yours? get an OEM alternator?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 05:29 PM

i'm about to order my alternator now. thank god I read this before ordering one from ebay haha. This is where i'm getting my from www.oemmitsubishiparts.com
-Good Luck Man