Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Car dies after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car dies after battery disconnect

Not much to say here. I disconnected my battery for a new one. I start it up and then it dies. Mid traffic. This isn't extraordinary. When I replaced my battery a year ago, it will keep stalling until the ECU learns or collects enough data I think.

But it shouldn't do that. Thoughts? This is an MTX btw.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

alternator maybe....
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:24 PM

+1
alternator
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our cars have to relearn idle whenever the battery is disconnected. You have to start the car and let it idle for a good 10 mins before moving to let it relearn the routine.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Well no the issue is that it will die if you let it sit. You will start it up and it's just sitting in neutral. It will drop to 0 RPM as it dies. It shouldn't need to learn how to not kill itself. Since it would be cold, it should be in an open loop state.

Alternator? I highly doubt that's the issue. Before the battery was disconnected, it started up with no issues whatsoever. The lights never dimmed, I've never had any slow starts, and it's never left me stranded in any location due to it not starting.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Seifer780
Well no the issue is that it will die if you let it sit. You will start it up and it's just sitting in neutral. It will drop to 0 RPM as it dies. It shouldn't need to learn how to not kill itself. Since it would be cold, it should be in an open loop state.
If you disconnect the battery, reconnect it, then start it up and let it idle it should idle fine as long as you leave it alone for minimum ten minutes. If it dies during those ten minutes then that is not normal. If you let it idle for 5 mins then try to leave and it dies the first time you come to a stop this is normal as you didnt let it completely relearn. If you let it sit for 10-15 minutes then leave and it dies this is not normal. Open/closed loop does not matter for this issue as the ecu is trying to learn the trims it needs for the Idle Stepper Motor (IAC) to efficently keep the idle stabilized under any condition.

Alternator? I highly doubt that's the issue. Before the battery was disconnected, it started up with no issues whatsoever. The lights never dimmed, I've never had any slow starts, and it's never left me stranded in any location due to it not starting.
I can see what the other guys are saying as it seemed like you were saying you had the car running then disconnected the battery and the car then died. This is a tell tale sign of a bad alternator however I assume this is NOT what you meant. In any case the scenarios I explained above may or may not give you the info you need.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

You are correct in that it was not what I meant. After keeping it gassed at 2,000 RPM's for a few minutes, it finally stopped stalling out. But I know that if I have to get another battery when this one dies, it is going to do the same thing.

I have no idea what would cause it to stall out.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Seifer780
You are correct in that it was not what I meant. After keeping it gassed at 2,000 RPM's for a few minutes, it finally stopped stalling out. But I know that if I have to get another battery when this one dies, it is going to do the same thing.

I have no idea what would cause it to stall out.
Have you cleaned any of the throttle body/intake mani in awhile? Cars will tend to start stalling at lights/ stop signs etc. If the throttle body is dirty partially blocking the IAC enough where the ecu cannot compensate in time to stabilize the rpms.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

That's one of the things that I haven't tried to do. It's been so cold that I haven't really been feeling up to it. Also, I have never really been good at getting the TB thouroughly clean and I'm not sure what else I would have to clean. I did get the EGR cleaned pretty good about 25,000 miles ago.

But I held RPM's at 2000 RPM's for about 3 minutes, gradually let it down and let it rest at about 800 and it was fine after that.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Also, where exactly is the IAC? I'm still getting familiar with the more mechanical components on my car.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

That little guy right there under where your intake tube connects to. This may not be your issue but its easy enough to clean so might as well eliminate it as a possible problem.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, that's something that I'm going to do. It seems like it's easy access and it doesn't look like it'll take a lot of time.