Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Rattling From Front Right of Car

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling From Front Right of Car

So about 50k miles ago my 2002 Lancer Oz hit a curb going about 40miles an hour. The entire wheel was pushed back a few inches. The mechanic installed a new axle and control arm on the right side.

Ever since then Ive had a loud rattling noise coming from the front right of the car. Its a metallic rattle that seems to be coming from the front right caliper of the car. It is mainly noticeable when I hit bumps in the road, but also at speed of around 60+ it becomes a constant rattle.

I've tried my best to figure out what it is, I know for sure its not a wheel bearing issue. I took a look at it yesterday and thought that it might be the front right rotor, it seems to have a lot of play in it (not the axle spindle, but where the rotor fits onto the four bolts which hold the tire on.

Take a look at the video and see if you guys think this much play is normal or if the rotor needs to be replaced?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cnXg...ature=youtu.be
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check the caliper is not loose...

there's no way for anyone to diagnose what you describe, it could be a lot of things, you'll have to start taking things apart and inspecting it yourself...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Feb 22, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:25 PM

Dang -.- well I swapped the two front rotors and the noise is still coming from the right lower side. The caliper is on there tight as well what else should I check? Could the control arm be making the noise?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Try hitting the brake lightly (to compress brakes with caliper piston) while you give it gas when it rattles and see if it goes away.
oops just watched video

Last edited by eusgen; Feb 22, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:18 PM

The rattle does stop when I press on the brakes lightly. I have a really bumpy driveway and Ill put it in neutral and coast. When I let off the brakes it rattles, when the brakes are on the rattle goes away.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Get these, problem solved!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLSON-1327...c049ad&vxp=mtr

Just did it like a week ago cause my left has been rattling for like a year xD

When installing them, take off piston part of the caliper and leave on the caliper braket. Insert the clips into the caliper bracket (you will see spots made for them) in the correct position as shown in the instructions, then put in brakes then slide on caliper.

Here is a visual I stole from the lancer service manual (same picture I used)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66045779@N08/6921985941/http://www.flickr.com/photos/66045779@N08/6921985941/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/66045779@N08/, on Flickr

Hope that fixes it!

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
check the caliper is not loose...

there's no way for anyone to diagnose what you describe, it could be a lot of things, you'll have to start taking things apart and inspecting it yourself...
You underestimate my diagnosing abilities

Last edited by eusgen; Feb 22, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eusgen
You underestimate my diagnosing abilities
lol...if your suggestion solves it, i stand corrected
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:15 AM

Ya I got a set from autozone a few months ago trying to fix the problem and put them in. Im pretty sure they are in correctly, Ill check again today. It sounds exactly like a brake pad rattling around but I dont think that is it

Is there a way I can taske off my front right caliper and drive the car just a bit to see if its coming from there?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

if you hit the brake and the sound goes away it has to do with the brakes, somehow. The manual says to use both shims and clips. I had shims in there (before i got the clips) but one got messed up and I had to remove it and the rattle started again, got the clips and now the rattle is gone.

If that doesn't fix it I guess buy a new caliper? lol
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:21 AM

Can I take the caliper off and drive around my alley using the e-brake to stop? Just to make sure that the caliper is the problem.

I just want to narrow it down and make sure before I jump into taking it apart.

Thanks for your help by the way!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:01 PM

Well I took my brake pads, shims, and clips out of the caliper and put it back on (without any pads or anything) and drove it around the block using my e-brake still rattling -.- I I take the caliper off will I still be able to use my clutch or will all of the fluid leak out from where I disconnected the caliper?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

I think fluid would leak, I honestly don't know if or how that is possible, never tried.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
the bottom of your dust cover looks bent and maybe cracked. it's really hard to tell in the video and it would be nice to hear the exact sound. but, check and make sure that none of your dust cover is touching your rotor or wheel when spinning. it would cause a continuous sound that would get faster with speed
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:15 PM

Ya the dust cover is pretty beat up, but I don't think thats the problem. I took a video of the rattling noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC-ih...heWSRc9ipohg88

The noise is best heard at :30 and around 1:00 also

So I hit the front right tire on a curb and it pushed the tire back a few inches. The mechanic replaced the FR control arm and axle. The noise was first noticed after I picked the car up from the shop. This was all about 50k miles ago.

I've looked over the caliper and that seems to be solid. The noise stops when I apply the brakes. It also seems to lessen when I accelerate. I think it has something to do with putting the car under load.

I can't figure out what is rattling because I can't recreate the noise with the car on a jack. Tomorrow I think Im going to try and jack up the car and disconnect the strut so I can wiggle stuff around, does anyone have a diagram of the front right suspension? What should I check?

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

you're sure it goes away when braking? try braking on a bumpy surface...that's a pretty gnarly clunking sound, i wouldn't call that a rattle...my driver side door rattles when i have the bass up too loud...that it really loud...

to me it sounds like something is loose, like a strut mount, stab bar end link, control arm, engine mount even...i dunno man...i'd have to hear it in person...but it doesn't sound good at all..

Quick Reply: Rattling From Front Right of Car