Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light

changed stock air intake last night worked fine but today rpm stays low and car wont go over 25 mph at all and wants to die constantly. i used the stock tube with the sensor still in place n just added aftermarket filter to make it short ram air intake. took it to autozon for them to run comp on it n code dont come up for a lancer just acrua. anyone have an idea why its doing this as it ran fine day befor?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
sounds like a MAF sensor problem. did you plug it back in? do you have it facing the right direction?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:31 PM

yea it was plugged back in and only screws in one way so pretty sure its the right way. curious if its possible have the cone filter way in back get lack of air flow or should that not matter?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:25 PM

ok got more info on it i guess it threw itself in limp mode my guess comp thinks its getting to much air n does it so is there a way around this?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

To be brutally honest, it's because you decided to be cheap instead of doing it right and buying an intake tuned for the vehicle. I think it was Fujitsu who tried to make an intake for the lancer and after 4 revisions it was still throwing codes.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure every pipes are sealed tight including the rear near the intake/mani. check the egr valve as well but the egr valve wouldn't keep it from going only up to 25mph...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stuntfly02
To be brutally honest, it's because you decided to be cheap instead of doing it right and buying an intake tuned for the vehicle. I think it was Fujitsu who tried to make an intake for the lancer and after 4 revisions it was still throwing codes.
wldnt of matter really even a bought one id have to reflash the comp to recgonize it as xtra air flow im just simply cing if theres a way around it of not having to reflash the car comp as its in the same spot as a ram air intake off ebay n such
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

rrm, takeda, injen, aem, weaponR, and K&N are the only places i suggest you buy an intake from. No you don't have to reflash your cars ECU. YOU HAVE TO RESET IT. Disconnect negative battery terminal, perform install, reconnect terminal. Do it RIGHT or don't do it at all.

And you may think the way you type is cool but it just makes it harder for people to understand what you say.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:16 PM

I think this post should scare other ppl from buying shady parts for their cars, btw good luck on the fix
+1 on the reset
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
disconnect your battery for 15 min and reconnect. start car and let idle for 15 min, then take for a ride and see if that helped at all. can you take a pic of your setup and post it, so we can see what's going on?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
disconnect your battery for 15 min and reconnect. start car and let idle for 15 min, then take for a ride and see if that helped at all. can you take a pic of your setup and post it, so we can see what's going on?
i disconected it when i got home from work was told to disconect battery for 24 hrs to reset ecu not sure if i need it that long and was told to drive about 50 miles so it cld relearn it but ill try to upload pic tomorrow in day light
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer101
i disconected it when i got home from work was told to disconect battery for 24 hrs to reset ecu not sure if i need it that long and was told to drive about 50 miles so it cld relearn it but ill try to upload pic tomorrow in day light
Dude i don't mean to be an *** but you have no business doing any sort of modifications to your car with the little knowledge you have. You are getting a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT because you do not have proper airflow characteristics for your engine anymore or you damaged your mass airflow sensor. Stop being cheap and buy a real intake DESIGNED FOR YOUR CAR. In the year 2012 how does someone not have a camera with a flash that they can take pictures of something under a hood to show people he's asking for help? That is something you should of posted in the initial post. I really just don't understand some people at all. They do things they are not sure are even going to work and then are baffled when something goes wrong or it doesn't work at all.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:15 AM

Dude i don't mean to be an *** but you have no business doing any sort of modifications to your car with the little knowledge you have. You are getting a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT because you do not have proper airflow characteristics for your engine anymore or you damaged your mass airflow sensor. Stop being cheap and buy a real intake DESIGNED FOR YOUR CAR. In the year 2012 how does someone not have a camera with a flash that they can take pictures of something under a hood to show people he's asking for help? That is something you should of posted in the initial post. I really just don't understand some people at all. They do things they are not sure are even going to work and then are baffled when something goes wrong or it doesn't work at all.
calm down lol my life dont revolve around this site to check everyday.. and reason i havent posted cause its fixed already just needed a reflash to uderstand its getting more air than befor. car been running fine so i had no need to put a pic up anymore. stop posting like u guys think know one trys modify theit own car them self as its done all the time its how u learn new things. maf was never damaged still using same one.

Last edited by ninjacoco; May 11, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Play nice.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Again your lack of knowledge shows. Your car did not need a reflash. It needed its ECU reset, TOTALLY different things.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:33 PM

Again your lack of knowledge shows. Your car did not need a reflash. It needed its ECU reset, TOTALLY different things.
and ur lack being able to understand it already had a ecu reset that didnt work so yes it was the reflash that made the code go away and had the car relearn as i drove it. sucks when ur wrong isnt it? just cause i figured out a way to get it upsets u lol

Quick Reply: check engine light