Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Can someone please help troubleshoot brake issue

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Can someone please help troubleshoot brake issue

Have a 2009 lancer de cvt. A couple years ago, the left front brake worn down to 1/32, right front still at 50%. Had the pads replaced and again discovered the same thing. There was also a discrepancy between the outside and inside pads. Was told by a mechanic that the brakes will wear more on the left front if I come into a right turn braking hard than using the brakes when I'm doing a left turn. I also don't feel I'm getting good braking as compared to how it use to be at the beginning.

1. Is this air in the brake line?
2. Is is a defective caliper?

My car has 57000 miles on it and wonder if this would be covered by the warranty. I need to change brake pads right away, but fear that doing so, the dealership won't take me serious if I bring in the brake pads and show them the wear difference. Plus they may want to replace my brand new brake pads, if I get them replaced first, and put their own on. By the time they see their brake pads worn, my car would be past warranty.

My closest dealership is cerritos or Huntington beach. Which of these two would screw with me less?
Old May 5, 2013, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a caliper seizing up, you need to do both sides of the brakes, not just one. Any good mechanic will change both sides at the same time. You will need to either rebuild the caliper or clean and lube the slides. Get a good mechanic to look at it.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Three possible causes (and the mechanic you asked is an idiot BTW ):

1. Seizing caliper slider pin on the left front (clean and lube if posible - it should slide easily)
2. Failed brake hose to the front right caliper (a weak spot will 'bubble' with the rubber expanding (instead of transmitting all the brake pressure to the caliper).
3. Air in the front right brake.

Did the brakes 'pull' to one side?

Was the front left brake caliper much hotter than the right one after driving/stopping?
Do the brakes 'pulse' or shudder when stopping hard (indicates wapred rotor which indicates a seized/dragging brake)?

Pads are not covered under warranty.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Veronica
Three possible causes (and the mechanic you asked is an idiot BTW ):

1. Seizing caliper slider pin on the left front (clean and lube if posible - it should slide easily)
2. Failed brake hose to the front right caliper (a weak spot will 'bubble' with the rubber expanding (instead of transmitting all the brake pressure to the caliper).
3. Air in the front right brake.

Did the brakes 'pull' to one side?

Was the front left brake caliper much hotter than the right one after driving/stopping?
Do the brakes 'pulse' or shudder when stopping hard (indicates wapred rotor which indicates a seized/dragging brake)?

Pads are not covered under warranty.
Yes it pulls to the left even after an alignment.. I didn't check for a temperature difference. The brakes started making a grinding rumbling noise when I stepped hard on the brakes a few days ago. Have beenn carefulto use brakes minimally since finding out there almost all gone.

Will the dealership cover the 1,2,3 above?

What would cause a stuck pin?

Last edited by pcguru2000; May 6, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pcguru2000
Yes it pulls to the left even after an alignment.. I didn't check for a temperature difference. The brakes started making a grinding rumbling noise when I stepped hard on the brakes a few days ago. Have beenn carefulto use brakes minimally since finding out there almost all gone.

Will the dealership cover the 1,2,3 above?

What would cause a stuck pin?
I'm not exactly sure if a dealer would cover it, seeing as brakes are a "wear and tear" item, but I would still check, seeing as if it's a brake line issue, they may replace it.

What would cause a stuck pin? Dirt. There are bolts holding your caliper to your brake assembly. These bolts/pins are greased (and covered with a boot) so that they slide easily when you apply the brake, and release when you do the same. If dirt gets inside the boot (or if boot is torn), then you won't have grease to make everything run smoothly, creating shuddering brakes, pulling when braking, etc.