Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Strange noise when accelerating.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange noise when accelerating.

Okay, so this is a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS (manual), the transmission was replaced by a dealer fairly soon after it was bought (hit a rock and damaged it), and then due to poor maintenance by my fiancee's ex husband (he was an idiot) the engine needed to be replaced. Sitting at ~127k miles, but the "new" engine is a used one that had ~45k miles (replaced about 6k miles ago).
  • The problem:
When accelerating, there is an odd higher pitched sound that almost mimics the engine noise at a higher pitch. It doesn't make any noise (that I can tell) when idling or revving the engine in neutral.
I'm not sure what the problem could be, but I'm looking to get an idea of an answer before I take it in.

Last edited by Zudane; Sep 16, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so you are saying it does not do it when the vehicle is stopped? But it will whine when driving? In all gears? Heavy/light/moderate loads?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

I want to bump this.. I have an 08 GTS CVT. about 76.5k Miles on it. I have a similar problem, Which I think it is with the trans or the torque convertor. When I drive in either Sport or D, in any conditions where Highway or streets, spirited or granny, I hear a whine. To me it sounds like a whale in the water. This happens while I am accelerating, or right after I got off the pedal. Now when I hear the noise, if I put the car in N it stops, if I rev in N it sounds fine. Once back in D it starts up again. I brought it to the dealer where I got the car, and the mechanic looked at me like I was crazy and was refusing to service the car even though I would pay if needed. Car still has a warranty I didnt but it new. I changed the fluid while I was there and still the issue happens. I heard that TSB-10-23-005 could be related as for the dipstick is the wrong size the the dealers overfill to 6qt when it should be 5.5. I also just got the slow down warning today driving home and the car was sluggish because the trans oil was too hot. I am about to go back out and check the car, had it sitting for a bit. Does anyone else know of this or seen this? It is annoying when I hear the sound I feel like the car is going to die on me.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:38 PM

Definitely take it in and get it looked at. If the dealer refuses (which would be stupid) tell them you'll take it to another dealer, and bill them if there's an issue.

As far as my issue: the bearing were out and had a few bolts that rattled loose. Rebuilt the transmission, new synchros, new seals, new plates, new bolts (and new mounts, but that was irrelevant, I think).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:11 AM

I'm no expert, but I'll stick my 2p in anyway. My 1.8 GS3 was making a really revvy noise when you gunned it, sounding somewhat like a touring car - turned out to be the air filter, which had become dislodged after the last MOT - my Dad and I re-attached it, and the noise returned to 'normal'. Worth checking.