Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Should I buy a 09 GTS, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I buy a 09 GTS, what should I look for?

Hi everyone, first post here. I'm planning on buying a one-owner lancer 09 GTS (CVT) with 70k miles and was wondering what are the things I should be looking for when checking out the car. Unfortunately, there's no dealership near to do a pre-purchase inspection so I will rely on a local mechanic, but it's good to have some guidance as to the specific issues that might affect these cars.

The reasons behind this particular car are, first, the price is attractive , second it is made in japan (a plus for me since my dad had an isuzu that after 280k km was still going strong), and third is relatively low mileage.

What worries me is the how fast these cars depreciate, how reliable they are past 70k miles, how easy are they to fix, and pricing of parts. Since I will be living in the northeast winter performance should also be good (with good winter tires of course).

Other cars I'm looking at are the impreza (don't like the look of the 09-12 years, more expensive, but awd), and the accord/civic (more reliable, so-so on looks, fwd).

Any help will be very much appreciated
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not a fan of the CVT. Although it should still have warranty (if transferable).

My car has been solid, only problem was a sticking rear wheel cylinder. I just rebuilt it when I replaced the brakes for the first time after 70,000 KMS.

Maintenance is always the key for a car lasting long. If you always take it to jiffy lube instead of getting a full inspection every now and then, you are asking for things to become an issue before they can be corrected.

I would see if the CVT has been serviced. As far as I know there aren't any issues with oil leaks on these cars.

I have heard of the blower fan for the HVAC being an issue. I haven't experienced it.

Anyone else chime in on issues?