Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Hail mods FTW

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hail mods FTW

I'm not really sure where to put this so I'll put it here since technically it is a problem I am trying to solve..what I'm looking for is advice, I'm using the forum as a sounding board.

A month ago I was minding my own business in my living room when the man upstairs decided to throw baseball size chunks of ice at my neighborhood for about 10 minutes. Needless to say all of my vehicles got thrashed. I have hail coverage, all is good, vehicles get fixed. The Lancer got the worst beating, $7800 damage. It is paid for so I had the option of getting it repaired, or since there is no lien on it, a $6k payout. I so took the payout. 6k for mods, wewt.

The hood and roof are totaled and I have the sunroof. The trunk has some decent ones where the wing didn't cover it, the wing itself has no damage. There are a few dents on the pillars above the doors and that is all, of those only 1 did bad damage. I am going to have some paintless dent repairs on a couple of those and I will be happy with that. I amthinking Carbon fiber hood and trunk, maybe. My problem is the roof. Hoods and trunks are easily replaced, but I can't find a carbon fiber roof if it exists.

My biggest question is, could one get the dents in the roof filled and sanded and then just have a carbon fiber wrap put on to cover it? Then it would match up with the hood and the trunk. Or would I need to purchase a roof from a junkyard and do the same? Also obviously this isn't a performance car so I don't NEED Carbon Fiber, I just like how it looks and wanted it anyways (this is so convenient, now I don't need a good reason for my wife to get one now, haha). I'm hoping once I get the hood, trunk and roof and a few of the paintless dent spots out I'll have $2k or so left over for other mods..dreaming?

Any advice from do it yourself guru's and price hunters would be appreciated. At this moment I currently have 6k in my hand and a dented Lancer, I haven't spent any yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by Etrain49; Aug 25, 2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
You have a good plan for the roof - fill what you can and cover with vinyl...

Go for it!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, I definitely think that's the plan then. I think I'm gonna try and fill the dents on the roof myself, good winter project.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the CF roof panel. http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...iber-Roof.html

Personally, I would spend $1500 for nice stock CF hood and trunk combo from seibon. Get them painted to match all for around $2k installed. Now that CF roof is insane expensive. I would have it filled and painted along with the new hood and trunk. Not a show car so F the CF roof. Should be able to do it all for around $3k.
Can find prepainted new front fenders for $300 shipped if needed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Yea, you nailed it, that's the plan. The Seibon combo is actually the one I'm gonna get, I love the vents on that hood. And yea, at no point was I going to get a real CF roof, that's just silly for a car like this, especially after I watched a video on how to replace, cutting, grinding-nope. But I'm not gonna paint them. I have a GG Lancer and my rims are matched color to the body. I think the CF will look awesome one the hood and the roof for sure...I might paint the trunk, but I'll put it on first and see how it looks.

Another quick question..what's this Duraflex business? Anyone have any experience/comments on it? They look nice in pictures, but they're so damn cheap I almost don't trust it for that reason alone, lol...$250 for a hood that already painted?...how? lol, sounds like crap, but maybe im wrong.