Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Tail light issue (with pic)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light issue (with pic)

When I turn the lights on, the driver side outer and inner lights don't come on. They work fine when braking. I assume it wouldn't be the physical light because what are the odds of both the outer and inner not working, right? Relevant looking fuses (according to the pictures on the boxes) were checked. Lights have been working fine for years. Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/whSaITt
Attached Thumbnails Tail light issue (with pic)-brake_light.jpg  

Last edited by OG Maverick; Feb 29, 2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by OG Maverick
When I turn the lights on, the driver side outer and inner lights don't come on. They work fine when braking. I assume it wouldn't be the physical light because what are the odds of both the outer and inner not working, right? Relevant looking fuses (according to the pictures on the boxes) were checked. Lights have been working fine for years. Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/whSaITt
Hey! So I have what appears to be the exact same taillights as you, and I have the same problem. Mine are intermittent, but no amount of fiddling with the wires, harness, or fuses solved the issue. They're only 2 weeks old and this issue began about a week ago. I've also just discovered that the lights don't come on when I start the car, but if I turn the lights off entirely from the turn signal stalk, and then back on, BANG they come on properly and stay on.

I have no idea what is causing this and it's driving me crazy!

Immediately after shutting down the car and restarting the engine with the headlights in the full on position. Both sides were on before turning the car off. (My plate lights are burned out btw).
Seconds later, after simply turning the lights completely off and back on again. Again, these tailights are about 2 weeks old and this issue only came to my attention a week ago. I only just discovered this trick to get them on about an hour ago.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
The body control module is either trippen cause led.

OR

The harness inside the tailliamp is faulty. Install stock lights to see if problem is still there.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
The body control module is either trippen cause led.

OR

The harness inside the tailliamp is faulty. Install stock lights to see if problem is still there.
I believe I've found the problem. You are partially correct. The BCM was freaking out because of the low resistance, but not specifically because of the LED taillights themselves. The circuit is sensitive to resistance, and there are a total of 3 small running light bulbs on that circuit. 1 on the side of the leftmost housing, and 2 for the license plate. All three were burnt out, with the one in the taillight housing having burnt out the day my problems began (likely because I was messing with the housing while doing body repair that day). All three burning out caused the total circuit resistance to drop too low, causing the BCM to think that maybe the circuit was shorting out and thus cutting the power. Replacing all three bulbs ($9) seems to have solved the problem. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure, as only time will tell! Here's hoping this helps anyone else with this issue.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by ThaPianoMan4
I believe I've found the problem. You are partially correct. The BCM was freaking out because of the low resistance, but not specifically because of the LED taillights themselves. The circuit is sensitive to resistance, and there are a total of 3 small running light bulbs on that circuit. 1 on the side of the leftmost housing, and 2 for the license plate. All three were burnt out, with the one in the taillight housing having burnt out the day my problems began (likely because I was messing with the housing while doing body repair that day). All three burning out caused the total circuit resistance to drop too low, causing the BCM to think that maybe the circuit was shorting out and thus cutting the power. Replacing all three bulbs ($9) seems to have solved the problem. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure, as only time will tell! Here's hoping this helps anyone else with this issue.

Yea its like on some new cars. You can add hid lamps without adding a inline resistor.

The can network, is resistance sensitive.

Glad you found your issue
Old Jan 6, 2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ThaPianoMan4
Thanks for the post! I actually didn't realize my license lights were out as well until very recently. Bought the lights you mentioned and all is well! Only a single tail light was actually blown, but I still replaced the 3.