Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Handbrake shoe's rubbing on rotors???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handbrake shoe's rubbing on rotors???

Hey everyone. Lately I've been experiencing some ugly noises coming from my rear wheels while I'm driving & turning, both fast and slow... It started out with my drivers side rear wheel and has now spread over to the passenger side as well.

What happens is there's a squeaking noise as the wheel spins, but then as I brake a creaking noise is produced which gets worse depending on how hard I apply the brakes . I checked my brakes, rotors etc. and they all seem fine. However, after removing the rotor and examining the internals, it seems to me that the handbrake shoe doesn't fully clamp down when disengaged and therefore rubs on the inner rotor as it spins... this explains the squeaking noise as I drive, but doesn't seem to be causing the creaking when I brake
Has anyone ever experienced 1 or both of these problems? Any input is appreciated

Last edited by GGMoe; Jun 8, 2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much material do you have on the pads?

Are the caliper slides and pad slides lubricated and moving freely?

If the pads are getting below 3/16" then I would recommend replacing the brake pads and rotors.

It is possible that all the sounds could be related to your parking brake shoes. I would adjust them accordingly and then retest.

Crank the adjuster tight, not too tight, just until you can't spin the wheel by hand. Then back off 3 clicks past when you can spin the wheel. Check the park brake handle in the car, and repeat until the handle holds at 3-5 notches.

Hopefully you find your problem. Brakes can be tricky. But, when in doubt replace them. A full set with rotors shouldn't cost more that 400-500$ Just be sure to lube everything with brake grease. Flush the fluid before compressing the caliper pistons, don't push it back.