Notices
Lancer Vendor Classifieds See what special deals and offers our vendors have going on! These vendors have registered their Tax ID and other pertinent information so you can be more assured when purchasing items.

NEW-ROAD/RACE ECU flash for OZ, LS, ES Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2003, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NEW-ROAD/RACE ECU flash for OZ, LS, ES Lancer

Finally got the secret weapon ready. ECU flash upgrade for U.S. Lancer (N.A.) and our turbo kits!
Because we are so busy, it has been hard to develop new stuff lately. The final performance piece of the puzzle is electronics. Our ECU have taken Mitsubishi's Curse (software) away and reprogrammed more aggressive timing and fuel curves. There are a few out there right now (secretly.) But we are ready to release this to the masses.
N.A. Flash = $559.
RRM Turbo= $579.

These are for 5 speeds only!
Dyno estimates 10% increases for both N.A. and Turbo.

There will be a $200 core charge for ECU swap, refunable of course!

Call for details. Limited numbers because of the limited core ECU available.
This product will debut at SCLC - San Diego Meet, June 28th.

ROAD/RACE
http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, what a secret weapon! Hats off to RRM on this one. Any chance at all on a reflash for auto trannys?
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:06 PM
EvoM Guru

would there happen to be a raised rev limiter?
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well now....will this work with any turbo'd Lancer..like mine? or is it boost sensitive to your kit and your fuel management. also can u still use and AFC with it?
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

what will the new ecu do for drivability (daily driver) and gas mileage? why would i pick the ecu up grade over a piggyback unit or new ecu?
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Drivabilty is great. As for turbo version. I plan to only have them set for our kits. Feel safer doing it that way. As for rev limit, it is the same. Connecting rods are limiting factor. Liquid does not have it. He has different thing. BOes has it but got it after he went 13.8. He will better that by a mile now.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off auto trannies won't be getting done. Some aspects of the tranny are worked into the ecu thus making it ten times more difficult to mess with autos. To much work unless RRM would charge a million bucks for...

As for the rev limiter... yes this can be set to your liking though you will not be able to go above 6500 rpms on stock motor... vlv's/pistons/etc are not good enough for higher RPM's.

You'll be able to raise speed limiter as well, basically getting rid of them.

As far as MPG is concerned you will actually have improved MPG as you are not wasting fuel like the stock ecu does. Of course when you put your foot down your gas goes with it and so does MPG.

This setup is only for RRM turbo's. It has been tuned to their specs and RRM will not take responsibility for other turbo kit setups. Also this is a way to stay loyal to all the RRM customers and add that last bit of safety and HP gain to those RRM die hards that have went turbo.

To answer about Liquids secret weapon this is not it. That will be revealed at a later date as there is still developments occuring. Liquid will be the first with this and most likely will be the fastest Lancer soon??

As a final note to RRM turbo guys... with this setup you'll be able to run 9lbs without fear. Before the stock ecu caused problems creating detonation which destroyed stock pistons at high boost. This will no longer be an issue. Should you drive all day on 9lbs with stock pistons...NO! But with this you will be able to run a dual stage and increase boost to 9psi without fear. The stock piston limitations have yet to be seen when detonation isn't involved. That is why you don't cruise around town at 9psi. Also this setup is tuned for 91 octane. Thus you don't have to put race gas in the car for running 9psi. The upgrade gives you a better low end response and safe high end finish. I will testify to this as that was my secret weapon. 03Lancer is the other... he's the NA version. Questions will be answered at the meet on Saturday by me. On behalf of RRM i'd like to say that this is the completion/best addition to their Turbo and NA setups. Expect nothing less from them as you already know. Feel free to pm me or ask me anything about this at the meet.

Thanks Rob and RRM staff for the continued support and improvement in out lancers. I wouldn't be the fastest without RRM products backing me!
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:10 AM

I am devoted to RRM and would like to know if I buy the NA ECU and then later get turbo'd would the work with me and cut me a deal to get the upgrade ECU. Everything done to my car except custom exauhst is from RRM. I hope to keep the good realtionship.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 02:57 AM
Evolved Member

I've got a few questions too:

What octane does the NA setup require? BOE mentioned 91, but is that for the turbo version only? I'd expect the compression isn't changing, so no need for higher octane.

Any preliminary dynos on the NA version? I guess turbo would be interesting too, but with so many different turbo setups, I think that'd be harder to compare.

Does the NA version gain more in low end torque or is it more mid and high end or maybe all across the spectrum? And are these gains only gonna happen with intake/exhaust type upgrades to support it?

-N
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Boeturbolancer
To answer about Liquids secret weapon this is not it.
Are you absolutely sure about that?

Quick question about reflashes. Can the ECU's still learn and will they be able to adjust? Like let's say you put a reflashed ECU in your stock car, then buy I/H/E/TB. Will the ECU adjust or is is more or less static? If it's static, is it tuned for a stock Lancer or one with basic NA mods (for the NA version of course).
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:14 AM
Former Sponsor

I will try to answer all questions. N.A. map is not going to work with turbo. They basically change parameters of fuel and timing in different directions. Next, ECU can still learn. It is still going to be reactive to sensor imputs as before. As for trading up later? Well I have not thought about it. Probably could work something out but in the meantime, if you plan turbo later just wait. No dynos yet. Our lab Rats, and they are rats, (hahaha) are 100 miles away so it has been a problem for us. Lastly, turbo guys run 91 octane. N.A. ecu is based on 87 octane. We can do a slightly more aggressive one for 91 or 93 octane for for N.A. guys but need to do more testing.

ROAD/RACE

Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to assume that it's not necessary to visit Sante Fe Springs to get this right? If not, time for a roadie. I'm assuming to that it'll still be useful along with a simple AFC like the HKS AFR-L?

EDIT: Dah...actually just heard back from HKS and looks like the Type L isn't compatible with the Karman Vortex metering systems. Only reason why I was concerned is the Lancer runs lean from the factory to begin with and any mods are only going to further that. From the description though, the reflash should alleviate that hopefully.

Last edited by pjal84; Jun 27, 2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

This is interesting...very much so.

I could stand to fill the tank with 93 oct if it added another horse over that 10% estimate you're giving.

Rock, once I see a dyno sheet for the NA box, you got yourself a sale.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:31 PM

i was wondering, does our current ecu actually reset mods? like when it resets itself for an intake and adjust the amoutn of air, will it eventually take in less air because there is less obstruction. some kid that tunes a prelude was saying how he has to reset his ecu once a week in order to continuously keep his optimum mods. just wondering if thats how we are too.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 08:31 PM
Former Sponsor

May try auto ECU when time permits (and cores come available)

ROAD/RACE

Quick Reply: NEW-ROAD/RACE ECU flash for OZ, LS, ES Lancer