Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

05' Sti

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05' Sti vs. Evo MR

I'm a newbie here and I don't know a lot of technical stuff about these two cars so excuse me if i sound a little e-tarded when asking this question ;-P

I will soon be in the market to buy one of these badboy's but i am torn. Which one should I get, and how will this benefit me? I'll probably want to go beyond daily driver tuning and from what I've heard so far, they are too close in overall potential to say one is better than the other. All I know is that the Sti is a 2.5 and the Evo is a 2.0 - techinically this would mean that the STi has more aftermarket potential and would to be a quicker car in the longrun, right?
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Evo has more tuning potencial and handles better its a stiffer more rigid car designed for performance not comfort.

The STi has cruise control, climate control, 6 cd changer, softer ride a little bit more stock horsepower and is a more comfertable daily driver car.

Both cars have very respectable race times and are AWD with traction control etc both are about the same price range
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

If you are asking about aftermerket potential to be quick, there was a recent shootout between Evos, STIs, and WRXs. You might want to refer to the recent posts about the outcome of that meet.

You'll find the results to be a very good real-world answer to your question.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Lets not forget, most will choose the Evo on this site anyways Dont know if it's true, but I read somewhere where they might discontinue the 2.5? Anyone else hear anything about that?

It also depends on what your using it for, if you plan on using the stock turbo, the Evo has more potential. Bothe are very nice, you just need to decide what will suit you better.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evil EV0
Lets not forget, most will choose the Evo on this site anyways Dont know if it's true, but I read somewhere where they might discontinue the 2.5? Anyone else hear anything about that?

It also depends on what your using it for, if you plan on using the stock turbo, the Evo has more potential. Bothe are very nice, you just need to decide what will suit you better.
That's why I suggested he go out and review some posts about the shootout. I would go to the forums.nasioc.com site and see what the Subaru guys said about the results of the shootout. It tells the same tale as was told on this site.

I've heard no rumors of discontinuing the 2.5.

You might want to refer to the results of the shootout. There were cars of all types on either side racing with stock turbos, large turbos, and all sorts of similar setups. There were plenty of examples of Evos and Subarus racing against each other with upgraded turbos on both cars.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 01:13 AM

The Consensus seems to be for the EVO - but I'll check out that thread. thanks again for the info.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend just bought an 05 STi and his bro has an 03 Evo. I've driven both cars and I like both VERY much. If you do alot of daily driving and really care about the interior of the car... STi all the way. The Evo has better handling, better seats and great power, but as far as "useable" low-end torque, to get you into traffic, the STi has it and still keep up with the Evo in the turns. And jsut FYI, I am talking about torque within the "no boost" zone. My friend's bro is even very impress at how much power the STi has. More linear than the Evo but definitely has kick when the turbo hits. He did comment that the Evo chassis feels better but everyone knows that. It's more the track car versus the STi, which is a bit tamer for everyday use. The STi clutch and trans feels better to me than the Evo's. I find the gates more easier on the STi than I did with the Evo, which was easier to mis-shift during some "test runs". But I'm sure you can get use to either cars with no problems.

I'm actually thinking about buying an Evo right now since I just sold my Impreza RS. I decided to go for an Evo to try something new. But I can easily go for an STi, if the price is right. The Evo MR would be a great choice...but seriously, $35K is just crazy. I think I would settle for a regular GSR and still be happy with some change in my pocket. But if you can afford it... show us pics. Good luck!
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

nice thread, anyone have a link to those test runs? also, anyone have a link to the motor trend test that compared the MR and the STi?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rsboy
I'm actually thinking about buying an Evo right now since I just sold my Impreza RS. I decided to go for an Evo to try something new. But I can easily go for an STi, if the price is right.
You should change you nic now ....
Old Sep 29, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I would but it goes for my initials too. not just the car model.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
The Evo MR would be a great choice...but seriously, $35K is just crazy. I think I would settle for a regular GSR and still be happy with some change in my pocket. But if you can afford it... show us pics. Good luck!
Why is $35K crazy? The base Evo is at $30K and the STi is at $33K. For the extra $5K from the base you get the wonderful 6 speed, ACD, and MUCH better ride quality AND better handling... That is easily worth the extra $5K. Still cheaper than anything else out there that compares.

BTW, has anyone else noticed how the "new" Evo seems to be dyno"ing" at the same level aas the STi even though it is rated about 20HP less?
Old Sep 29, 2004, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Dude that's your opnion and my opinion is based on the fact that the monthly payments will kill me. With taxes and everything it would be north of $37K without dealer mark-ups. Now I can get an 04Evo for $7K less and be right on your fookin tail in the race track, and then be able to take my whole family on a nice vacation.

Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet car, but not everyone gots da bling! And I'm sure you can get better parts for the price difference and the mark-ups. Ok maybe crazy, was too much, but it's mildly disturbing???
Old Sep 29, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dIRTY sANCHEZ
I'm a newbie here and I don't know a lot of technical stuff about these two cars so excuse me if i sound a little e-tarded when asking this question ;-P

I will soon be in the market to buy one of these badboy's but i am torn. Which one should I get, and how will this benefit me? I'll probably want to go beyond daily driver tuning and from what I've heard so far, they are too close in overall potential to say one is better than the other. All I know is that the Sti is a 2.5 and the Evo is a 2.0 - techinically this would mean that the STi has more aftermarket potential and would to be a quicker car in the longrun, right?

If you're shopping the 05's... Then the Evo appears to have the slight power advantage (Motor Trend dyno results). These high power turbo engines can be finicky on a dyno though. Also it appears that the Evos will be more responsive for 05 then the previous evos, I've read the turbo kicks in around 2500 rpms now. On par with the STI.

The overwhelmingly popular consensus seems to be that the Evo has more aftermarket potential. Even alot of the Subie guys will admit this. And for 2005 I don't think they're will be too much of a difference in that .5 liter. If you must tune, I say get the Evo... If you must have a 6 spd and a little more compliant ride, I say get the Evo MR