Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What should I do with my 350Z ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slay2k: Do you mind if I inquire about your age?

- Jason

P.S. LOL, does your license plate say "*** MONKEY" ?? "A55MNKY". That's awesome.

Last edited by LancerOZ; Oct 4, 2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Awsome Z!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slay2k
Especially since lately I've had mysterious white smoke appear when I free-rev the engine. My mechanics can't figure out where it's coming from, but the engine is a possibility.
More likely a cracked head gasket.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

bro, im sorry but an evo with a few k in mods would own your 350, ontop of out handle, and rip the winter a new one while carrying 4 people and luggage.

evos engines have forged internals... i know many daily driven modded evos that have no problem at all. biggest concern for high hp evo is #1 clutch which is common for all cars and #2 tranfer case if you start doing stupid ****.

30k in mods on a car is rediculious dude.....

for example, my friend has

vishnu catless turboback
hks racing suction intake
aluminum intercooler toobs
hallman boost controller
hks 272/272 cams
walbro fuel pump
and a dyno tune @ 21 psi, daily driven

340 AWD horsepower @ 330 AWD tq, stock turbo. extremely streetable. car is SICK.

doesn't street race, but z06 was messing with him too much one day, and he ripped it up to 120 by 4 car lengths.... when the boost hits with the 272's the car does not stop pulling.

Last edited by Trail Slide; Oct 4, 2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:49 PM
Account Disabled

Nice car!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
z > evo, stock to stock? i don't think so.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO KING295
bro, im sorry but an evo with a few k in mods would own your 350, ontop of out handle, and rip the winter a new one while carrying 4 people and luggage.

evos engines have forged internals... i know many daily driven modded evos that have no problem at all. biggest concern for high hp evo is #1 clutch which is common for all cars and #2 tranfer case if you start doing stupid ****.

30k in mods on a car is rediculious dude.....
Yeah, but I bet his Z gets him mad pu.zzy.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Here's the rest of my 350Z story. First of all, here are my mods:

2003 Silverstone Track
(NAV & all options except side airbags)

Engine Modifications
Nismo R-tune Cams
UR Racing Pulleys
TechnoSquare ECU - custom flash
Z-xtreme Grounding Kit

Engine Breathing
Crawford Plenum
Borla Headers
Borla Dual Cat-back Exhaust
RT High-flow Cats
JWT Popcharger Intake

Engine Cooling
Koyo Racing Radiator
Nismo Thermostat

Driveline Modifications
Tilton 8 lb. Flywheel
Tilton Rally Clutch
Nismo Limited Slip Differential
Late-Sept. installation: EVO 3.9 Final Drive Ratio (ring & pinion)

Suspension Modifications
Tein Coil Overs with Electronic Damping Control
Nismo S-tune Swaybars
Crawford Strut Brace

Wheels and Tires
Competition wheels and tires: Nismo 5-spoke forged 18" x 8.5" front, 18" x 9.5" rear,
with Kuhmo Ecsta MX 245/40/18 front, 275/35/18 rear
Street wheels and tires: Stock Rays forged 18" Track wheels with Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position tires, 225/45/18 front, 255/45/18 rear

Other Modifications
Drilled Magnesium Pedals
Airbag Cut-off Switch (passenger side)

Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

So I totalled the 350Z at a performance driving clinic at a SoCal racetrack. Because I had a driving instructor and there was no racing or timing equipment, my insurance co. covered the loss. It took me 6 weeks to convince my ins. co. to declare the car a total loss, but they finally agreed.

I am in the process of taking all the mods off the Z, and re-installing the stock parts, so that I can turn the wreck over to my ins. co. I am selling the mods on ebay.

I am taking a big financial hit on this, but am glad to now own (as of today) a new '04 white EVO RS.

That's what I meant by, you are stuck with your heavily modded 350Z, barring a miracle or a catastrophe. Good luck, bro. 350Z is a great car, but it's big downfall is its weight, and how expensive it is to mod.

I am looking forward to turning my RS into a monster for way less than I sunk into my Z. One thing is for sure -- the 350Z is a way better looking car than an EVO. But that doesn't matter at the track. I take my girlfriend out in my S4. Life goes on.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Drive your 350Z into a wall and blow that POS up.. then buy an evo! heh
Old Oct 5, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

I've seen your Z at the BP gas station near McDonalds and it was SICK!! Nice freaking car man!!! I wish I could have ran it with my Evo before I sold it. I would have been a GREAT race.

Last edited by Hooptie157; Oct 5, 2004 at 06:24 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

well if you thought the Z was a money-sink.. the evo is just as bad... unfortunately you will get such bang for your money with power and handling that you wont look back or regret the thousands you are shelling out for it.... just take it easy
Old Oct 5, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

That Z is so beautiful, please do not sell that car. That car looks perfect in every way. I had a Z and for the practical reasons decided to sell the car and get an Evo. I am happy with my decision, but miss the sexy lines, solid feel, and low-end torque. I agree with the previous posts buy a winter beater, build your engine, and enjoy that sweeet a$$ ride.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Buy a cheap AWD beater. Like an 02 WRX or an older 2.5 RS.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 09:47 AM

Damn, alotta replies, lemme answer some questions.

LancerOZ: I'm 24, the plate does say *** Monkey ;] And in case you're inquiring about age for income reasons, most of the car was paid for by my poker hobby.

Originally Posted by EVO KING295
I guess that depends what you mean by "a few k". I don't quite think your friend is gonna own me with those mods. You do realize I run 11's and smoke E55's, right ?

Originally Posted by Richard 350Z
350Z is a great car, but it's big downfall is its weight, and how expensive it is to mod.
Richard, the 350Z is lighter than the Evo8. Mine weighs 3100lbs. Just wondering why you say it's so heavy.

Anyway, see I'm afraid if I do get an Evo8, I won't be able to control myself from modding it to AT LEAST 350awhp. I mean, if you got such a modifiable freakin car.... its like they say "friends don't let friends drive stock", right ?

So then the pitfall becomes... am I likely to get the same kinda issues out of a 350awhp Evo8 that I'm getting out of a 420whp 350Z. Cause if so, I'll probably just rebuild the motor and boost the maximum outta these Garrett's.

Quick Reply: What should I do with my 350Z ?