Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Test drive in a brand new SALEEN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UFO is right you can purchase a v6 mustang, do a swap, supercharge it, and do some mods and be so much faster than a saleen anyday, and come out a lot cheaper.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 03:08 PM

Correction the current Saleen S281 supercharged which has been out for a good while and it comes in two models, NA and supercharged. I was also referring to the current cobra SVT as well. No crap an S7 is not at a Ford dealership, unless you go to Cienerwood Ford in Kernersville NC, where they have saleen, cobra, steeda, rousch and any other ford product you may think of.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

wanna know something funny? My friend bought a Saleen Mustang for like $60Gs. Never modded his car. Drives decently okay..not too harsh. Then one day, his car has no power. he thought the supercharger or whatever is messed up. Brought it to Ford or service. Service reps are smart enough that to think "hmm, the ECU maps may be messed up, let's try downloading a new ECU software in there." Well, no Saleen map, no Cobra map, only GT and regular ****stang map. Didnt tell my friend about the GT map. Downloaded a GT map into it, car ran like crap. Brought it back, and asked what happened. Then my friend was like WTF???? The engine could've blown with a wrong map. Now the ECU has been shipped to Saleen in Kali. His Saleen is in Ford Service Center and they are giving him a loaner. Paid $60,000 and all he got was a FORD TAURUS to drive for now. He couldve bought 1 Mitsu Evos and add $20Gs to mod it and u can outrun a Zonda. to FORD
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

saleen does not make a na s281 anymore. there is 281 supercharged or sc, and s281 extreme which is also supercharged. my roommate owns a 2001 s281 and talks with liz summar and steve saleen from saleen via email all the time. hell, steve offered to pay for him a trip to come out there to cali and spend a week so they could meet in person.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Just to clarify it was a 2003 281 supercharged saleen it was brand new but left over from last year. the Cobra that I drove was a 2004.

Also UFO, anyone can tune a car up to be fast. That wasn't the purpose of the thread obviously you can tune a car cheaper than buying a fast one stock any dumb *** knows that.
As far as 1/4 mile times its not quite as quick as the Cobra however on the low end it does 0-60 in 4.6 which is a tenth or two of a second FASTER than the SVT due to the increased torque. Do remember this was a test drive and not a 1/4 mile Race that I was in. The Saleen pulled harder in the low end and handled WAY better than the SVT. I was impressed with the car and this is my take on it.