Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

rsx-s in the winter..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2004, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rsx-s in the winter..

does any one know how rsx-'s drive in the winter with winter tires? i've never put winter tires on a car before cuz i've never cared that much for any of my past POS's..but I have my evo right now and obviously the awd with winter tires would be the best for traction in the winter, however I could trade in my evo for a slightly used rsx and save 7 grand that I really need for other things right now..but I'm worried that I won't be safe during the winter in new england..obviously i'll be losing a lot of performance and it's fwd..but money is important..so i just wanted to know how these drive in harsh conditions with the right tires..thanks
Old Oct 11, 2004, 04:57 PM

rsx type s is a bad *** car, does not have the potential the evo has
i live in new england also..... i dont drive my toys in the winter, the rock chips
will eat at you come spring

any ways rsx type s are not cheap, just curious did you find one for sale
in mass?? and how much??

my buddy has one , its a blast to drive, you know they revamped it for 05 right?

- johnny k
Old Oct 11, 2004, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

The RSX is fine in the winter. It all depends on the tires you put on it. Most people have no idea how much of a difference dedicated snow tires make. I always drove honda's with studded tires when I lived in Maine. I could climb any hill and blow by all the 4X4 SUV's with all-season radials. These are what I used to use: http://nokian.com/passengercars_prod...KKAPELIITTA+4#
If you don't live that far north or you don't want to be that hardcore about it just get some blizzack's. I can't wait to try studs on my RS.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 05:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I'm talking about
Old Oct 11, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

NOKIANs are indestructible. Too bad TireRack never sells them.

A good studless like the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 is pretty good too. If you need something more hard-core, there's the WS-50. If you need studs (and they're legal), there's always NOKIAN.

I drive an Eclipse GT (FWD, limited TSC, torque steers like a pig) and with Continental ContiExtremeContacts, I really haven't had much of an issue. Slid once or twice, but that's expected. LM-25's are going on the Evo though. If you're running summer tires, you need to change tires anyways, so you might as well throw on full winters.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkisineffect
rsx type s is a bad *** car, does not have the potential the evo has
i live in new england also....

any ways rsx type s are not cheap, just curious did you find one for sale
in mass?? and how much??

my buddy has one , its a blast to drive, you know they revamped it for 05 right?

- johnny k
is it really that nice? i test drove an 04 and it was pretty sweet obviously I was just used to the performance of the evo..um..as for the price..ya I found a couple used 02's and 03's with no more than 30 k miles on them for like 17 and 18 grand..trade in on my evo with 9 k miles is like 24 grand so i'd be saving a ton of money..and yeah the new 05's are sweet but obviously i wouldn't be saving any money gettin one cuz they're like 23 grand.. they have 10 more hp and are just sweet inside and out..but a used one would still be sweet..i just dont wanna make a mistake obviously final decision is up to me..but i'm not good with these types of decisions anyways keep up with the advice i'd love to hear what everyone's gotta say thanks guys
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

bump for more info :-P
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

rsxs are nice car.i used to own one.sold and got the evo8.fwd are pretty good in the snow as long u have some weight in the back.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

how much weight u talking? lol like 2 subs kind of weight? or like a heavy rear strut bar? also off topic kind of...will having a front and rear strut bar heavily increase the handling and handling safety of the rsx-s?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

yeah like 2 sub in a box.just to balance out the car.helps u to not tailspin or sliding when approach a stop.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

You can buy a used WRX For about the same price of a used RSX-S ... That way you still have turbo/awd ... and still have $$$ left ovAr ... WRX's also have a TON of potential if you plan on modding in the future ...
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by invazn
yeah like 2 sub in a box.just to balance out the car.helps u to not tailspin or sliding when approach a stop.
i feel like 2 subs would make the lack of torque even worse for performance..at least when there is not snow on the ground and i want to push it a little..would a heavy strut bar be enough in the front and rear? prolly not..i just wanna be safe but save money and still have a nice car..
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GinuwineEvo8
You can buy a used WRX For about the same price of a used RSX-S ... That way you still have turbo/awd ... and still have $$$ left ovAr ... WRX's also have a TON of potential if you plan on modding in the future ...

ya i like the wrx for performance..however i do not like the way it looks unless its the brand new one..the bug eyes dont do it for me..and with something like another turbo car i would still be way too tempted to mod it like my evo..thats why i'm lookin at the rsx-s i love the way it looks..and naturally aspirated there is not much i can do for quick high hp gains..
Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:50 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by invazn
rsxs are nice car.i used to own one.sold and got the evo8.fwd are pretty good in the snow as long u have some weight in the back.

Don't put weight in the back. It won't help any.

An RSX with snow tires will get you through just about anything. Get a narrower tire, probably a 205/55-16 and some 16" steel wheels. You're looking at like $600 for the package.

The Evo would rock in the winter, but it needs snow tires, too. You're looking at $600 for the tires alone (plus M&B) and you're going to need a set of 17" wheels (good luck finding cheap steel ones) to clear the brakes. Seems like most people have used the OEM wheels for winter and got lighter aftermarket rims for the Advans.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=WestSideBilly]

Don't put weight in the back. It won't help any.

An RSX with snow tires will get you through just about anything. Get a narrower tire, probably a 205/55-16 and some 16" steel wheels. You're looking at like $600 for the package.

QUOTE]

so thinner tires are better?

Quick Reply: rsx-s in the winter..