Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo racing a Yamaha R1

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only raced one bike. It was an R6, don't know the year. I was sitting at a light when he and his friends rolled up. I gave just a little touch of a rev. They all looked and kind of chuckled. I laughed like I was joking. I think they thought my Talon was just one of the many 2G DSMs running around with a big exhaust and nothing else. Light went green, I spun all 4 through 1st and left them all in the dust.

At the next light, they were like, yea thats kind of fast. So, we really went for it at that light. It was me and the R6. I left him huge at the light. I don't ride, so I can't comment on how good his launch was. He was starting to catch me ever so slightly by the time I lifted about mid 4th (115-ish). They were all like, damn that things fast. When I told them what I can run, and what I've got done, they were impressed. Which is a shocker. Most of the bike riders around here are just like the Vette, Camaro, and Mustang drivers. They think any compact car is just a toy, and not fast. They were cool, we stopped and chatted, and I showed them what a highly tuned 4G63 looks like. It was fun.

Hilg
Old Nov 8, 2004, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Old Nov 8, 2004, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Z1000, and if I did not get a perfect launch on the bike but did in the Evo then the bike would have a tough time of it. And the aero drag on the bike is pretty harsh, especially mine as it is a naked bike, i.e. no fairings. BUT, from a roll in first or second or probably even third, the bike is pretty damn fast. It does not have to spool, it just lifts the front wheel and screams goodbye. Hell, I am going to head home and get the bike right now, its 77 degree's and sunny in Big D, looks like a nice day to ride!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

I've been to Ennis twice on my bike and have run high 11's @ 120ish (I freak out a little when the front wheel starts to rise and shake). My buddy with a 02 GSXR600 runs mid twelves. Another friend of mine with a 03 954 runs about the same, mid twelves. For me it's hard launching my bike, kinda like it's hard launching my car. I've ran a 14.2 at 94.89 mph in my car stock while my friend ran a 13.65 @ 99.09 mph in my car that same night. It wouldn't surprise me to see a modded AWD car get the jump on a bike from the line if the rider was like me or my friends (bad at launching), but on the highway/roll with the newer bikes it would be tough and it would require some serious horse power.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

I'll roll out my ZX12R.....which is probably from a roll about as quick as a lightly modified brand new R1 or ZX10...but drag and wind resistance is a big key in roll ons working against a bike. Power to weight ratio they win, but....thats a lot of power for a small car