Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

350Z Enthusiast or EVO RS???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350Z Enthusiast or EVO RS???

ok, this is an actual buying decision. My SRT-4 is officially sold and the guy picks it up on Monday so I have been working deals on my new car the past 2 days. I've worked my best deal on both cars and they came out exactly the same to the dollar so I am having a rough time deciding and I plan on going tomorrow to finish the purchase on one of them. I need help!!!! Please help me with pro's and cons!!! The 350Z has power everything plus a stereo system which the EVO doesn't have. The EVO though is a better performance car in stock form plus it's a limited edition but doesn't have any power windows/locks or keyless entry or even a stereo. Basically I guess I'm weighing convenience v.s. performance. I've driven both cars and like them both a lot so I don't really think I can make a bad choice. What do you think????
Old Nov 23, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Z has more comfort and style also smoother ride and better apearance IMO

RS will eat it on the track it will out handle out accelerate and totally outperform the Z but will not be as smooth or comfertable doing it.

all boils down to what is more important performance vs luxury... You can get the regular Evo and it will come with power windows door locks and the S&S package will give you the sunroof and 350 watt infinity sound system (way better than the Z has)

Another thing to think about is the Evo is AWD it has higher ground clearance and a lot more space. I have taken my Evo up to the mountains driven it in snow and ice and on gravel roads etc and due to its rally nature it does very well under these conditions the Z wouldn't handle it.

you got friends who will want to ride with you ? no back seat for the Z or storage space in the back vs evo big trunk and full backseat 4 doors and seating for 5

Last edited by Sentinal; Nov 23, 2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by loj68
Basically I guess I'm weighing convenience v.s. performance. I've driven both cars and like them both a lot so I don't really think I can make a bad choice.
Well, you just said it there. If you really don't mind not having a stereo or power conveniences in favor of the greater stock performance, the RS it is. On the other hand, the Z is a fantastic car stock as well, just not quite the performance of the RS. Nice that every model has the same performance, just different trim. If you drive a lot, I would think the Z would be the better choice. You said it though. RS will be fast and fun, but hard to live with daily. The Z will be better daily, but not quite the performance machine the RS is. Ball is in your court. Personally, I'd go for the Z. I drive too much to live without stereo and power stuff. I'll gladly take a performance hit to have those things. When I put the cage in my Talon, I drove around for a few days with nothing in but the front seats. It was cool.......for about 30 mins. Then you run out of songs to hum, and you just get pissed. Your choice.

Hilg
Old Nov 23, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it's that big of a deal, you can do a power window/lock conversion pretty easily. Also, a head unit and speakers don't cost THAT much...unless you get the dvd screen and JL's all the way around. [img]images/icons/icon12.gif[/img] If sound is a problem...pick up some Dynomat.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

well, after a whole night of weighing the pros and cons I put the down payment on a 350Z today and I'm picking it up monday. With my Nissan discount through work I ended up with a Yellow 2005 350Z with the aero package, aluminum kickplates, and splash guards for nearly $2k less than the EVO RS so that kind of made up my mind for me. In all honesty I would have paid the extra $2k if I could get a regular EVO but it was much more than that since my Nissan discount was so kind. The yellow 350Z is a special order color too so should be pretty rare which I like. It'll look like this pic except with the regular wheels since this pic is of the 35th anniversary edition that comes in Yellow which will be out next year:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...ary-Z-350Z.htm

Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

350 Z is a good car but you will be itching for an EVO trust me.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Love the pearl yellow, our dealer has one on the lot right now.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:26 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

I think he made a wise choice. The Z is so expensive to mod that it will stay close to the price he paid and thus potentially save even more money.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

If you ever get tempted to kick yourself over not getting the EVO, don't.

For what you want, it doesn't seem like you'd be happy with the RS.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back in October of 2002 I was going to be on of the first owners to have a Nissan 350Z. I lived in Tucson and there were 4 Nissan 350Z coming to the dealer in October and I was already one of the lucky potential owners with money in hand and with my right to buy before anyone else.

I was going to get the Enthusiast model as well because it was just perfect for my budget, jus over $28000 and the couple options(stock on the enthusiast) that I want it like Limited slip differential, cruise control and HID lights.

At first the car look awsome, it kind off look like a Japonese version of a Porsche 911 (996)carrera, I did not get the car because my wife did not want a 2 door coupe. Anyway, I ended buying a WRX instead.

The 350Z is a beautiful car but in order to upgrade it to a higher power levels it takes high levels of $$$. There is not many bolt on for the car and the few that are out there are pricy. Yes you can get the Greddy TT kit but it runs 10K.

It really depends of what you are looking for. I definately take the EVO RS over the 350Z any day because I love acceleration and handling over the looks. I have seen the 350Z running mid 15's here at the local track, in fact the same guy had the car dyno at the local track and put 231whp and 228 pounds of torque.

I even smoked a 350Z not even a month ago with my daily driver(91 GSX turbo AWD EVO III turbo(big 16g) and a full turbo back with MBC and air intake).

Get the EVO, you would not regret. The EVO is in a different level of peformance, yeah true you will get more girls with the 350z but you will kick more a$$ with the EVO.

My .50 C

psssss I drive a also have a MR by the way.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

well, for me I don't care about modding for more speed. I keep my cars stock and reliable and fully under warranty. This level of speed is good for me so I'm more interested in turning up the handling and the Z has plenty of those type of goodies that don't cost an arm and a leg. As I've said in other threads before I'm a motorcycle guy at heart so cars aren't that fast to me.....so I don't bother throwing tons of $$$ into them to make them quicker.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

RS much more fun to drive and faster than the z...but if u cant live without luxury dont get it....but i thought i was gonna regret it and i love the thing it makes you forget bout having all that quickly and u get used to it....plus there are less evo's out on the road than z's so be diff youll get noticed alot more.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

I believe you made the right choice, the EVO RS is not for everyone, the 350Z is a much easier car to live with than the EVO RS, although I would have went with a EVO GSR in that case, but maybe alittle expensive for what you had in mind. Nice looking Z, you'll enjoy it, maybe one day you can have both a Z and an EVO RS.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
loj68,

You said:

As I've said in other threads before I'm a motorcycle guy at heart so cars aren't that fast to me.....so I don't bother throwing tons of $$$ into them to make them quicker.

Well, I also owned motorcycles in the past but in open roads I always smoked just about any motorcycles in the past with my Porsche Carrera4 and my modified Stealth R/T Twin turbo.
I once got a speeding ticket in the UK doing 148mph on my Stealth R/T Twin Turbo,
that day I was going to a car race and there were many motorcycles doing 140-150mph plus and I had no prblems passing ALL of them in fact NONONE ever passed me.

Again, I smoked 2 Triumph 1000 coming from Plymouth to RAF Lakenheath in UK, this guys COULDN'T follow me at all in the highway and that was with the Porsche carrera 4 Cabriolet.

Moreover plenty of times I launched my 430hp WRX hard and get to see how 600cc bikes takes up to 70-80mph to catch up with me.

That was on dry roads, forget about wet roads, mody roads or really curvy roads, the Bike has NO chance.

I was never convence about the bikes, at the track the mods Evos basicly step on the bikes toes anytime anyday. But in general yeas, the bikes are alittle faster(not that much)

my .50c
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno man, a gixxer 1000 does 1/4 miles in the 9's right off the showroom floor and will do over 180mph and they only cost $10k.