Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

00 Viper or 05 EVO MR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebelzx
The evo isn't exactly the greatest daily driver anyway.
explain
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you notice that it was a salvaged vehicle? That means that at some point it was totaled or flooded or something like that. Just beware.

EVOlutionary
Evolving Member

The Viper is fine in the rain. I live in the Northwest and drive it rain or shine. Really, it handles great in the wet, at least when compared to other two wheel drive sports cars

I wouldn't drive it in the snow if I had the choice, although I did drive home over Mt Shasta in a snowstorm (from a track day at Thunderhill). I would have preferred not to do that, but didn't have any particular troubles, although I was actually more nervous driving in the snowstorm then on the racetrack.

Edit: I just saw the question about the Viper as a daily driver. The Viper is like a big dog straining at the leash. It always wants to go faster, GO FASTER! It has a lumpy idle , a soft clutch, and is geared tall which makes it tiresome in stop and go traffic. The side piples get hot in the summer and it get's about the same gas mileage as my brother's V8 Jeep Cherokee. You can't go anywhere without being asked about the car. And, it's the same old questions: Is that a V12? How fast does it go? How much did it cost?

It is, however, great on the open road and on long trips where the huge torque and relaxed gearing make it effortless too drive. I have done 1000 mile days in the car and have felt fine.

Jim

Last edited by Jhodel; Dec 7, 2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Did you notice that it was a salvaged vehicle? That means that at some point it was totaled or flooded or something like that. Just beware.

EVOlutionary
That was just an example... there is plenty more 99-00 that you can pick for high $30s
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i love my evo and the MR is awesome but come on dude the viper is a supercar... i dont know i think driving one means a status symbol and immediately girls wanna give u a piece since they assume ur loaded lol
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JaguarS4R
explain
The ride is harsh, the gearing is low, and the interior doesn't exactly scream luxury. The potential of this car when modded is so high that the tendency to make it a race car if you have the funds is great. Driveability goes out the window at that point. I'd rather have a Viper and a nice DD than keep the evo a jack-of-all trades.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Get the Viper drive it for one year then sell it and get the MR....
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

I thought you didn't like the MR? Change of heart I guess?

Go drive them. The Viper is a monster, you're going to be replacing stuff fast on both of these cars if you track (the kind of track with turns) them. I'd rather replace stuff that breaks on the evo (I'm guessing it's cheaper/easier to work on, more reliable and the aftermarket is amazing) it's a more precise/balanced track machine as well out of the box.
500 hp will be no good on the track if it isn't utilized to it's full potential. Neither of these cars will really let you open up too much on public roads, but if you're a bit of a highway (ehem... drag strip) freak I can tell you that you'll like the top end in the viper
Just don't kill yourself.

You should also look at used Z06s, M3s, Supras, eh I'm sure you already have.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by The Bear
I thought you didn't like the MR? Change of heart I guess?

Go drive them. The Viper is a monster, you're going to be replacing stuff fast on both of these cars if you track (the kind of track with turns) them. I'd rather replace stuff that breaks on the evo (I'm guessing it's cheaper/easier to work on, more reliable and the aftermarket is amazing) it's a more precise/balanced track machine as well out of the box.
500 hp will be no good on the track if it isn't utilized to it's full potential. Neither of these cars will really let you open up too much on public roads, but if you're a bit of a highway (ehem... drag strip) freak I can tell you that you'll like the top end in the viper
Just don't kill yourself.

You should also look at used Z06s, M3s, Supras, eh I'm sure you already have.
I dont like the MR at all. Nor do I like M3, Supra or really Z06. It was either 05 EVO GSR with SSL or 04 S4 V8. The reason I said Viper, b/c I was in shock that I can get them for such a bargain. I will never do any track racing. GURANTEED!! The problem w/the Viper, it really is far from a daily driver. Cant take any road trips, will suck in the rain/snow, cant bring along friends, cant go grocery shopping, cant be seated comfortably for a period of time....etc...... this question was more of a "hey Vipers are cheap, what a deal" The best car for me currently is S4 and then my 2nd choice is definetly EVO. I will be buying one or the other very soon.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:52 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by JaguarS4R
Listen:

Viper= about $36k

Everyday beater= about $4-6K

What do you think?
I didn't say beater, i said daily driver. There is a difference.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would get the viper, viper handles better than evo if driven right. And it's much more powerful and quicker on stock form.

With few mods, you could hit 10's easy, with few more, you'll be in 9 second daily driver.

expensive as all hell to maintain tho. You must think about that before you buy something like that tho.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

I have never seen a viper in that price range. I would guess the viper cost alot more to keep up. If I had enough money for a viper I would get one.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Is this really even a debate? The Evo is nice, but the Viper is an exotic. It also has twice the horsepower. I think every American male dreams of owning a Viper at one time or another. It's a supercar though, not a daily driver. If you even have to ask that question you should get an Evo. The Viper is a summer toy for the wealthy. I doubt you could really get one for 35k. They sold new for 80k I think.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:15 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you could drive viper daily. It'll cost you tho. lol
Old Dec 8, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
you could drive viper daily. It'll cost you tho. lol
A brake job alone would bankrupt me.