Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo vs Transam firebird

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have vids on vhs, but I don't know how to convert stuff to a computer
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

My last new car was a WS6... The Evo is faster.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anybody wanna host it?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

ok, thought it was worth a try
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

someone host the video please i wanna see it!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tke_413
At the track i took my car (when it was just intake, plugs and wires) against a '00(ish) modded firebird (forcing more air, some engine work, exhaust and a new rear end). I blew him off the line, and at the end his V8 chased me down HARD. I ended up beating him by 2 tenths, but his MPH was about 20 more than mine. He had trouble between first and second, and i had trouble with 3rd and missed 4th pretty good. V8's don't like to be beat by 4 cylinders...it's funny!
lol
Old Dec 28, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

you guys are crazy. there is no way a stock evo is faster than a stock TA. ESPECIALLY from a roll. I raced an 03 TA with just exhaust from a 10mph roll, 30 mph roll, and 60mph roll. I had I, E, FMIC, plus tuning and we were nose and nose until about 90 and then he pulled on me. Stock for stock, I would have been destroyed. Those things have Vette engines. Yeah the evo is a fast car, but c'mon guys, don't get carried away. Now at the track, from a dig, that MIGHT be a different story, but on the highway it's TA all the way.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by en1gma19
you guys are crazy. there is no way a stock evo is faster than a stock TA. ESPECIALLY from a roll. I raced an 03 TA with just exhaust from a 10mph roll, 30 mph roll, and 60mph roll. I had I, E, FMIC, plus tuning and we were nose and nose until about 90 and then he pulled on me. Stock for stock, I would have been destroyed. Those things have Vette engines. Yeah the evo is a fast car, but c'mon guys, don't get carried away. Now at the track, from a dig, that MIGHT be a different story, but on the highway it's TA all the way.
It looks like thats pretty much what people are saying. From a dig it goes to the Evo, from a roll it goes to the TA. And yes, barring any factory freaks, the Evo does turn faster quarter mile times.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

yea from a roll unless you have a turbo or nitrous upgrade, there is no way beating a v8... I personally barely beat a modded v8 trans am with the ls6 motor (corvette motor or whatever) by like 1 car length, it was close, even with an AWD launch. considering the car has like 320 hp stock and just exhaust and pullies can make it 340 hp easily, its gunna be close to a modded evo. stock evo, wont win unless the trans am driver really sucks. if he stages he will beat you. if he cannot take off well due to buring out, crappy tires, etc. you might have a chance. from a roll you are almost gunna get beat no problem. I however have beated one from a stop, from a roll I got beat (not by much), but I did win money. Its a close battle.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sano
I raced a 2003 WS6 and A ss camaro at the drag.
Originally Posted by en1gma19
I raced an 03 TA with just exhaust from a 10mph roll, 30 mph roll, and 60mph roll.
There is NO 2003 T/A or WS6. The LS1 F-Body died as of 2002.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by jasonc32amg
WS6's are the fastest of the fbodies stock and can turn in 108+ in the 1/4.
Ummm no, WS6 aren't the fastest of the F-Bodys. WS6 is heavier than stripped Z28 and Formula and they all share same engine. Don't let the manufacturer's hp rating fool you. Although SS and WS6 have higher factory HP rating, they all dyno similar numbers and similar results at the track. Of course some are little slower and some are just factory freaks.

Last edited by 03EBZ06; Dec 29, 2004 at 06:04 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Ummm no, WS6 aren't the fastest of the F-Bodys. WS6 is heavier than stripped Z28 and Formula and they all share same engine. Don't let the manufacturer's hp rating fool you. Although SS and WS6 have higher factory HP rating, they all dyno similar numbers and similar results at the track. Of course some are little slower and some are just factory freaks.
A stripper hardtop would be a good comparison...but, the WS6 actually has an effective ram air system, unlike the SS. If you survey times of stock f-bods, ws6's are almost always faster and that is attributed to the ram air. The SS system is so convoluted most people chuck it if they are serious.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

If everything is perfect maybe... Both of the Evo's I've had were gutless above 5,000 and I would guess them to be high 13 sec cars at best. Just my experience with an '03 8 and and '04 RS. The 05's are looking to be a little stronger based on some dyno talk here and the mag tests.
You are right. Most stock EVOs are nowhere near as fast as a big block GM F body car. Ppl who are always bragging about the EVO beating everything are smoking some strong crack. Barring some unusually good drivers and specially fast car, the stock EVO is a high 13, low 14 second car in the 1/4 mile. From a roll they are dog meat to any car like the Camaros, Firebirds, Porsches, Big Beemers, etc. Wake up people & smell the cofffee (or the exhaust fumes ), stock EVOs are just not that fast in the 1/4 mile.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 06:57 AM

A stripper hardtop would be a good comparison...but, the WS6 actually has an effective ram air system, unlike the SS. If you survey times of stock f-bods, ws6's are almost always faster and that is attributed to the ram air. The SS system is so convoluted most people chuck it if they are serious.
Ram Air system is only effective whenever you go over 100+ mph and has very little effect even at that speed.

I've been engine moderator for LS1 sites and have been many F-Body gatherings at the track and from what I've seen times posted on the message boards and seen on the track, WS6 isn't the fastest. Evan Smith from MMFF was able to hit 12.97 with Z28 which is the fastest stock F-Body time that was recorded.

Every LS1 plaform has factory freaks and weaklings, however, if they all produce similar numbers then the lighter cars like stripper Z28 and formula will be few ticks faster all things being equal.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
Ram Air system is only effective whenever you go over 100+ mph and has very little effect even at that speed.

I've been engine moderator for LS1 sites and have been many F-Body gatherings at the track and from what I've seen times posted on the message boards and seen on the track, WS6 isn't the fastest. Evan Smith from MMFF was able to hit 12.97 with Z28 which is the fastest stock F-Body time that was recorded.

Every LS1 plaform has factory freaks and weaklings, however, if they all produce similar numbers then the lighter cars like stripper Z28 and formula will be few ticks faster all things being equal.
I'm not going to dispute your knowledge, I'm not an ls1 expert, just going by what I have seen firsthand and read. Besides my main point was that stock for stock the ls1 is faster. I think people get caught up in what the Evo can be very easily versus what it is from the factory. I also think that for alot of people when they get an Evo it is the fastest car they've ever had so they think it is a beast stock. It's the same with the 03/04 Cobra. When I first got my 03 cobra it was not very impressive, but I knew what it WOULD do...same as the evo. The Cobra went from 13's at 106 to 12's at 118 in a couple weeks with a few bolt ons. I'm not knocking the evo, I've had two of them so I'm obviously a fan, but let's be honest about what they will do stock barring extreme circumstances.

Quick Reply: Evo vs Transam firebird