Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo vs Transam firebird

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a stock ws6 is the not the fast fbody the camaro ss is . 13.5's for a stock camaro ss and 13.7's for a ta ws6. I beleive the evo stock is rated at 13.4 so it shouldnt be a problem with a good drive to smoke them
Old Dec 29, 2004, 07:27 AM

It's all good.

You know, every platform of auto enthusiast message boards that I frequent, those people with certain platform will always boast/embelish about their ride, which is fine, I see nothing wrong with it, and it really doesn't matter because only thing that matters is what happens in the real world of racing .
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

the ws6 would be a close run any other youd kill
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
There is NO 2003 T/A or WS6. The LS1 F-Body died as of 2002.

Thats weird because my uncle owns a 2003 ws6. I alomost bought the royal blue 2003 ws6, but they had marked it up to 40k because 2003 was the last year.

2003 was the last year for the camaro and ta
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
You are right. Most stock EVOs are nowhere near as fast as a big block GM F body car. Ppl who are always bragging about the EVO beating everything are smoking some strong crack. Barring some unusually good drivers and specially fast car, the stock EVO is a high 13, low 14 second car in the 1/4 mile. From a roll they are dog meat to any car like the Camaros, Firebirds, Porsches, Big Beemers, etc. Wake up people & smell the cofffee (or the exhaust fumes ), stock EVOs are just not that fast in the 1/4 mile.

Most people that have dragged their stock evos turned sub 13.5 1/4's. Several have turned very low 13's, Thats pretty fast. I am just going off of what I see. Most of the Ls1 and Lt1 cars I have seen run, turn high 13's. Maybe every driver that is at the track driving them is not very good, but I doubt it. I see 97-04 vettes turning mid 13's all the time. I had a vette I know how those cars run.

Like I said those cars are definantly faster, but they are not close to being as quick as an evo. Stop light to stop light evo all day, For a highway frolick the vettes, TA's, Cobra's all the way.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

When I was Buschur Stg. 1, I encountered a WS6 on 95N somewhere near DEL/PHIL border. He was silver with blue stripes and had blue wheels plus a big wing. At first, I thought "wow... someone riced out a TA." But I saw it was some anniversary edition WS6. Briefly, we pulled from about 55 (I dropped to 3rd gear) and we were basically neck-and-neck. I think he was suprised I kept up with him on the highway. We gave each other {thumbsup}

This wasn't a street race... it was a Case Study in Big Block Power Highway Torque relative to Forced Induction Pull at Moderate to High Cruising Speeds in a Neutral, Open Venue.

Oh yeah... and I did pull about 3 cars on an SS with exhaust from 45 with a passenger (my passenger). The WS6 seemed faster.

Last edited by SterlingEvo; Dec 29, 2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

If you race against a TransAm/Camaro SS on the highway, do not run them past 110 mph or so....they are absolute beasts on the top end and you WILL LOSE.

In the 1/4 mile your AWD is your saving grace. Get a good launch and don't miss any gears and you should win.

Jesse
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 02MaximizedVQ
If you race against a TransAm/Camaro SS on the highway, do not run them past 110 mph or so....they are absolute beasts on the top end and you WILL LOSE.

In the 1/4 mile your AWD is your saving grace. Get a good launch and don't miss any gears and you should win.

Jesse

Agreed they are beasts on the top end.

Sterling evo I appriciate your case studies
Old Dec 29, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JaguarS4R
ohh yea... Definetly!!! A stock EVO will be neck-to-neck with a stock WS6, anything else EVO WINS!!
WTH?... stock vs. stock a WS6 will own a evo
Old Dec 29, 2004, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
WTH?... stock vs. stock a WS6 will own a evo
Just curious have you ever raced one in an evo. Or seen stock ones at the drag...
Just wanted to know if you have proof or are you talking smack. Even paper racing the evo has a faster 1/4. Someday I hope to own a ws6 as a spare car.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sano
Just curious have you ever raced one in an evo. Or seen stock ones at the drag...
Just wanted to know if you have proof or are you talking smack. Even paper racing the evo has a faster 1/4. Someday I hope to own a ws6 as a spare car.
My '03 EVO with 3" catback exhaust ran low 14's with low 90's trap speeds. There was not a single Camaro, Firebird or Corvette at the track that night that ran slower than low 13's with mid 100's trap speeds. Other EVOs I've seen ran quicker and faster but were not stock. Other stock EVOs ran times like mine.
Assuming my crappy driving cost me 3 to 4 ths (which I doubt), I'd still been in the 13.9 to 14.0 ETs. Frankly, the EVO crapped out very severely over 5000 rpm. I think the power was just not there. I lost most races after the launch
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

appears you own the slowest evo in the world and everyone at the track had factory freak camaros t/a's and corvettes
Old Dec 29, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

the ta has a stock gear ratio of 2.73 i believe ... they are pathetic accept from about 70 mph
Old Dec 29, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

OK, as a previous LS1 owner ('98 WS6 Formula), I think I should shed some light on a few things here

- 2002 was the last year for f-bodies
- the 5.7L engines in F-bodies are NOT "big blocks", but a continuatino off GM's eternally popular small block engine.
- the fastest LS1's were indeed the stripper Z-28's and Formulas (lightest of the bunch)
- WS6 had "maybe" 10 hp on the other models, but bascially they ALL dynoed (by year) at the same amount
- although all years from '98 to '02 were rated the same hp-wise, the later years were notably stronger than earlier versions due to revised cam, exhaust manifolds, PCM, and a couple other changes that escape me at the moment...it should be noted too that SOME '01 and '02 models came stock with the LS6 block and these cars were notably stronger also.
- 100% bone stock right down to the paper filter mine ran 13.5@104mph ('98 6-speed)
- 100% bone stock right down to the paper filter a '02 WS6 of a good friend of mine ran 13.2@109mph (6-speed also)
- V8 Camaro's/Firebirds with automatic transmissions ET every bit as quick (and in some case quicker) as 6-speed versions, but at lower trap speeds.
- rear end ratios: all 6-speed came with 3.42's, base auto's had 2.73's, and WS6 automatics have 3.27's

Just a few facts to throw into the discussion

Last edited by BlackLab; Dec 29, 2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

The Trans AM stock for stock are faster from a roll than EVO, but to say it's because it's a V8 and that's why it can't lose is stupid, and maybe you should trade in your EVO for a Trans AM. The reason why from a roll it is faster is because it puts down 50WHP+ and 50WTQ+ to the EVO. Plus the EVO gearing hurts it stock. Still EVOs with cams are different animals, and can take out stock or modified WS6s all day from a roll or dig. Look if you can't get an EVO to run low to mid 13s, then it's the driver, not the car on most ocassions. The same can be said of the Trans Am, plenty of sh*tty Trans Am drivers out there that can't drive worth sh*t and run 14s all day, I've seen it time after time. Nobody is saying the EVO is the fastest car in the world, but puhlease don't make it out that WS6 is the fastest either. There are EVOs out there that take out Vipers from a roll, so what makes the Trans Am invincible???

Quick Reply: Evo vs Transam firebird