Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

And you thought you got pulled over.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And you thought you got pulled over.

Well I was meeting a friend in Albuquerque, NM when I saw this white STi behind me. Well I pulled over to because my friends house was right there anyways and the STi flipped a u-turn and came back to talk to me. I told him nice car and he said the same. I noticed he had an on-board computer, LCD screen, and a palm on his dash. I asked him if he was doing any tuning with that computer he said no thats my cop computer. It turned out that the guy is a Texas Ranger who is in the service stationed at Kirtland Airforce base as a MP I'm guessing. He said he is allowed to use his "Police Intercepter" aka STi. As his police vehicle. He said he has pulled over a couple of vette's in Utah where he was stationed before moving to Albuquerque. I thought it was really cool and also scary that law enforcement are putting these type of vehicles as their police vehicles. Just thought I would share. You can see the "Police Intercepter" badge on the front fender right in front of the door. He told me he had a 3" exhaust with magnaflow muffler and an intake. He is working on getting some type of EMS, but he is waiting on that for awhile.

Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. Is that a pic of the STI attached? Its not working.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

damn cops with modified sti's. looks like i will have to make the evo even faster.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

up now sorry I had to blur out the plate.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that’s good news; finally some cops are driving our cars and actually buying them. That makes it easy for us to drive them with out getting pulled over for a wing or exhaust since they know what these cars are (as long as we are not speeding). As much as we can put import cars out there, the less tickets we see because of an exhaust or intake or even a wing.

BTW I have seen a Camry Cop in OC, CA pulling someone over
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:21 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeh, knowing the cops, they probably drop a vette engine in that sti. lol
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
yeh, knowing the cops, they probably drop a vette engine in that sti. lol

Actually he was talking about putting a new engine into it. Bigger turbo with NOS. He said he has it all planned out, but he may have to wait for awhile. $$$ is a biatch.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm sure he'll get re-embursed for that from the government... from our tax money... so he could haunt us down... doh!

then again, good thing he didn't get an evo.

u see, cops choose sti, sti's traitors to the scene. lol
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Not to sound skeptical or anything, but did he show you a police badge and/or ID???
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

thats pretty cool that some police are driving performance imports. out here theres the occasional mustang or camaro as a police car.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOVA EVO
Not to sound skeptical or anything, but did he show you a police badge and/or ID???
Yes I was shown a badge and ID. You can't miss the on board computer either for checking plates etc. The guy used to drive a supercharged 5.0 if I remember correctly until some guy hit him head on. He said the other driver ran up to him to see if he was ok and he showed him his badge and the guy almost crapped his pants.

He had never seen an evo up close before that is why he stopped. He thought his STi was faster I told him give me till I get my taxes and we'll meet at the strip.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crusin_lancer
Yes I was shown a badge and ID. You can't miss the on board computer either for checking plates etc. The guy used to drive a supercharged 5.0 if I remember correctly until some guy hit him head on. He said the other driver ran up to him to see if he was ok and he showed him his badge and the guy almost crapped his pants.

He had never seen an evo up close before that is why he stopped. He thought his STi was faster I told him give me till I get my taxes and we'll meet at the strip.

i dont find it hard to believe HES AN MP. military police. so im assuming hes an E-5 or E-6. so hes still gotta be sorta young. theres a boat load of nice cars on my base. (during the summer).

now if its a city of Albuquerque cop, bend me over and call me sally kus this guy is breaking the mold. if hes in the military, im not suprised at all.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 02izzel
i dont find it hard to believe HES AN MP. military police. so im assuming hes an E-5 or E-6. so hes still gotta be sorta young. theres a boat load of nice cars on my base. (during the summer).

now if its a city of Albuquerque cop, bend me over and call me sally kus this guy is breaking the mold. if hes in the military, im not suprised at all.
He is an older gent. Maybe late 30's to early 40's. He had a Texas Ranger badge, but is in the service as an MP. Is an MP aloud to pull over civilans? I'm no cop buff so anyone with some law enforcement experience that can help me out feel free to jump in. The only thing that he had to follow when purchasing the car is it had to be white. He said he wanted blue, but the car had to be white if it was going to be a police intercepter.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:10 AM

I live right near the base, havent seen this STi yet, but im sure to be on the look out. I dont think i have ever seen a city cop around here with anything other than the standards. Although one cop that i spoke to at one of our yearly DUI checkpoints (newyears) was named Nelson Martinez....
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the federal, state and local government was only allowed to use domestic cars for law enforcement. Is there some sort of loophole when a law enforcement agent privately owns their "cruiser"?

Quick Reply: And you thought you got pulled over.