Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Dodge Announces World Challenge Program for SRT4

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Announces World Challenge Program for SRT4

Alright guys, can we keep the bashing and bullshiat out of THIS thread please?

Serious discussions welcome.

Dodge has opened a new chapter in its racing history with the announcement of a new competition venue for its 230hp Dodge SRT4, from Chrysler Group’s Street and Racing Technology (SRT).

Beginning in March at Sebring, the Dodge SRT4 will race in the SPEED World Challenge Touring Car class under newly introduced rules permitting forced-induction cars. Dodge is well known in SPEED World Challenge racing, with Dodge Viper Competition Coupe drivers winning both the overall championship and rookie of the year honors in the 2004 SPEED World Challenge GT series.

In SPEED World Challenge Touring Car competition, Dodge plans to support privateer race teams with technical support and two major programs beginning in the 2005 season.

The first is a sealed crate engine program. The engine will be sold complete with turbo and engine management system and will be equipped with anti-tamper seals to ensure that the engine performance cannot be modified throughout the season. This allows competitors to reduce their racing costs by eliminating costly development programs, while at the same time, providing the SCCA with a stable horsepower level to evaluate potential adjustments during the 2005 race season. Pricing is estimated at $9,000 for a complete, race engine.

“A sealed engine program helps reduce the cost of racing for all the privateer teams planning to race the Dodge SRT4,” said John Fernandez, director of dodge motorsports operations. “A large amount of race budgets are typically dedicated to increasing engine output or improving engine life. Now teams can take that precious time and money and focus on other areas of the car that can benefit from improvement.”

The second program is the availability of a complete, bare body shell for the SRT4. Typically, SPEED World Challenge race teams are required to strip down a street car to bare metal to modify the car for racing and install all of the safety systems required for track use. Now, teams campaigning an SRT4 can skip this step and begin building their race car. This also reduces the time and money needed to prepare a new race car. The cost of the body shell is approximately $2,500.

Both the sealed engine and body shell will be available through Viper Race HQ, with an anticipated delivery date in late January 2005. Teams interested in racing the Dodge SRT4 in SPEED World Challenge should contact Viper Race HQ at (888) 960-3333 and provide contact information and race credentials, and complete the necessary application process.

“With this program and SCCA’s assistance to ensure the car is classed fairly, we fully expect the SRT4 to set the new benchmark on the racetrack for performance, reliability and value,” said Fernandez. “At SRT, we use the phrase ‘Race Inspired, Street Legal.’ I hope the competition is prepared, because they’re about to see the Dodge SRT4 demonstrate the potent performance that we engineer into every one of our SRT vehicles.”

Dodge also plans to announce its 2005 contingency program for SPEED World Challenge. Details are expected in the coming weeks.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/14812/
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Fix the link...
Old Jan 21, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Racing improves the breed - no doubt Chryco will filter down some of the things it learns in this race series to production models, already hinted at by the upcoming ACR SRT-4.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
Fix the link...
Works for me...
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:31 PM
Account Disabled

Ok?!!! I really could not care less......Why do you feel so treaten by the Dodge. I am happy for them... Big deal.....SRT-4 will never be what Nissan, Honda-Acura, Evo, STI, WRX, BMW, VOLVO.....the list goes on. I really don't care man....seriously. Wait untill Evo, STI and WRX hit the track..... then you will see real action...... But the Evo and STI will go to GT Cup not small crap like the NEON Is going into.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

awesome news!!!! I love the Speed World Cup and and the Speed GT Races so this will be a great addition. Curious to see what other cars will be running with the rule changes. I guarantee that SRT-4 is gonna give those TSX's and BMW's a run for their money. Don't count out the Mazda 6's either....they're quick cars!
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Do the racing rules require them to keep it as a FWD car? I'd love to see a custom SRT-4 with RWD. There's gotta be somebody else out there (with much deeper pockets I hope) who wants to see the same thing, right?

Originally Posted by cet_euro
Ok?!!! I really could not care less......Why do you feel so treaten by the Dodge. I am happy for them... Big deal.....SRT-4 will never be what Nissan, Honda-Acura, Evo, STI, WRX, BMW, VOLVO.....the list goes on. I really don't care man....seriously. Wait untill Evo, STI and WRX hit the track..... then you will see real action...... But the Evo and STI will go to GT Cup not small crap like the NEON Is going into.
Obviously you do care. Not only did you open a thread called "Dodge Announces World Challenge Program for SRT4"...but then you also replied to it. The people that couldn't care less never even saw this.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

This will probably end up like the Volvos...lot of hype, not much success. The BMW parade and SE-R will continue to reign in WCTC.

And on a side note, why would anybody want to race in GA-Cup with crowds like these?
Old Jan 22, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slightlyshady1
This will probably end up like the Volvos...lot of hype, not much success. The BMW parade and SE-R will continue to reign in WCTC.

nah, the Mazda 6 will run up front and win races like they did last year and the Realtime TSX's will win some races as they did last year. I think a full factory Mopar effort can do every bit as good as the lone SE-R has......especially since the SRT-4 is a much better package to start with. The Volvo's are running in the GT class with much more big boys packing AWD and loads of V8/V10 torque so that's why they had such a challenge.

As for the crowds, all I can say is that it's pretty sad that here in the USA the "real" racing like Speed GT which is FANTASTIC fun to watch gets no audience but redneck hillbillies going in circles draws 150k people. The state of racing in the USA is horrible. In Europe they draw 150k people to MotoGP racing....that's my kinda race fans
Old Jan 23, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

The Good News: It's a nice showing from dodge, showing that it's just not a straight line racer.

The Bad News: This is an lancer forum, where the srt4 is a KIA to us... about 85% of people could give a rat *** what it does in the SWC. Im not being an ***, im just stating facts.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
The Good News: It's a nice showing from dodge, showing that it's just not a straight line racer.

The Bad News: This is an lancer forum, where the srt4 is a KIA to us... about 85% of people could give a rat *** what it does in the SWC. Im not being an ***, im just stating facts.
This forum is called "other cars" for a reason. Its meant to discuss OTHER CARS!

We are all aware that this is a Lancer forum but jezus get your head out your *** man, the world doesn't revolve around it.

It's also quite obvious that you dislike the srt for whatever personal reasons and seem to always have to bash it whenever you can. Just leave it alone already.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by evo77
This forum is called "other cars" for a reason. Its meant to discuss OTHER CARS!

We are all aware that this is a Lancer forum but jezus get your head out your *** man, the world doesn't revolve around it.

It's also quite obvious that you dislike the srt for whatever personal reasons and seem to always have to bash it whenever you can. Just leave it alone already.
Nobody said you couldn't discuss the srt4 here, this is other cars, but to post info/pics about a car 85% of us "lancer" owner don't care about and to say "keep the bashing down" is just diggin' yourself a hole. Remember the ACR srt4 thread, nuff' said.

I don't hate the car at all, most people don't its the drivers. So in that case, get ya head out ya ***. Im not being mean, but stating facts... when I post STi threads here there is 'non' bashing. People post 'srt4' threads and there is bashing and you know that.

sorry for the
Old Jan 23, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Arithmetic
Nobody said you couldn't discuss the srt4 here, this is other cars, but to post info/pics about a car 85% of us "lancer" owner don't care about and to say "keep the bashing down" is just diggin' yourself a hole. Remember the ACR srt4 thread, nuff' said.

I don't hate the car at all, most people don't its the drivers. So in that case, get ya head out ya ***. Im not being mean, but stating facts... when I post STi threads here there is 'non' bashing. People post 'srt4' threads and there is bashing and you know that.

sorry for the
What is your point? That its a waste of time to post about the srt because YOU say 85% of "lancer" owners don't care? Don't know where you pulled that figure from but speak for yourself, not for others.

If you don't care, don't post. Simple as that. Its adds no relevance to the thread and only invites nothing but bickering, bashing and bullshiat.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo77
What is your point? That its a waste of time to post about the srt because YOU say 85% of "lancer" owners don't care? Don't know where you pulled that figure from but speak for yourself, not for others.

If you don't care, don't post. Simple as that. Its adds no relevance to the thread and only invites nothing but bickering, bashing and bullshiat.
opinions are like a-holes. im going to stay out of this thread. ill just hold my tongue and read.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by loj68
all I can say is that it's pretty sad that here in the USA the "real" racing like Speed GT which is FANTASTIC fun to watch gets no audience but redneck hillbillies going in circles draws 150k people. The state of racing in the USA is horrible. In Europe they draw 150k people to MotoGP racing....that's my kinda race fans

lol! left turn racing IS a sport. i can go more left then you man!!! lol.
(internet sarcasim) im NOT a nascar fan.